Home > Non-local Applicants > Further Information for Non-local Applicants
Further Information for Non-local Applicants

Preparations for studying in Hong Kong

After accepting the admission offer from OUHK, please make sure you have the valid travel documents to prepare for your studying in Hong Kong. Please find information below on how to apply for a student visa and arriving in Hong Kong.

Student Visa/Entry Permit

Most non-local students are required to obtain a student visa (and entry permit for students from Mainland China, Macao and Taiwan) for studying in Hong Kong. If you hold one of the following for the period of study then you do not need to apply for student visa/entry permit:

  • a visa under the ‘Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates’ (IANG), or
  • a dependent visa/entry permit, or
  • a work permit/visa (for part-time students only), or
  • a visa/ entry permit under the’ Quality Migrant Admission Scheme’, or
  • a visa/ entry permit under the ‘Capital Investment Entrant Scheme’, or
  • a one-way permit

Application for student visa will take about 6-8 weeks to process. You are advised to apply for a student visa as soon as you have received and accepted your offer. For example, if you submit a fully completed visa application, you will be expected to receive your student visa from the Hong Kong Immigration Department in:

Fully completed visa application submitted by student in: Expected to receive your student visa from the Hong Kong Immigration Department in:
March/April June
May July
June Mid-August
July Late August

You will receive instructions on how to apply your student visa/entry permit upon receiving our admission offer. It is important that you submit your application early to ensure you can obtain the student visa/entry permit in time for commencement of study at OUHK. OUHK will act as sponsor for your student visa. After receiving the approval and visa label from IMMD, we will send the visa label to the address recorded in your application.

Activate the visa label upon entry to Hong Kong

On arrival in Hong Kong, you will receive a landing slip issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department. This landing slip is an important document and you must keep it with you throughout your study in Hong Kong. You will also be required to submit a copy of the landing slip to OUHK on Registration Day.

Apply for a HKID card

According to the Hong Kong SAR Government, anyone who intends to stay in Hong Kong for a period exceeding 180 days is required to apply for a Hong Kong Identity Card (HK ID) from the Immigration Department. After you have obtained a HKID card, you are required to input your HKID card number as personal details on MyOUHK (Current Students) (My Programme > Student Records > Personal Information).

Information on how to apply for a HKID card can be found on:


The OUHK is a metropolitan university located in downtown and does not have boarding facility. The list of hotels and guesthouses licensed by the Hong Kong government is given in the Office of Licensing Authority webpage at https://www.hadla.gov.hk/en/hotels/search_g.html.

Off-campus accommodation:
Several creditable off-campus accommodation operators are shortlisted for reference. OUHK students have been staying in the following shortlisted accommodations in recent years:




  • Located in Shum Shui Po
  • Convenient location
  • Centralizedly managed
  • Safe and reliable
  • Relatively high-priced
Contented Living
  • Located in Mongkok and Shatin
  • Decentralizedly managed
  • Moderately priced
  • Relatively spacious
  • Located in Hung Hom
  • Near the OUHK
  • Centralizedly managed
  • Safe and reliable
  • Limited space

Life in Hong Kong

Hong Kong is in the sub-tropical climate region. Winter is cool with temperature around 15-20 °C. In summer, it is hot and humid with temperature around 25-30 °C. For more information about the climate in Hong Kong, please refer to the Hong Kong Observatory website (http://www.weather.gov.hk/contente.htm).

Hong Kong is an international city with worldwide cuisine. The canteens in the Main Campus and Jockey Club Campus serve breakfast, lunch and dinner to staff members or student ID card holders with discounts. In addition, there are various dinning and shopping facilities in the Ho Man Tin Plaza nearby the campus.

Public transportation in Hong Kong is very convenient. There are bus, mini-bus, taxi and train services covering most of the regions in Hong Kong. Fare for various transportations can be paid by a store-value smart card, the Octopus Card.

Mobile phones are very popular in Hong Kong. In addition to monthly plans offered by different mobile operators, students can also use pre-paid phone cards for different mobile services including data services and long-distance calls. Students can shop around for mobile services suitable for their daily communications.

Medical service
Upon successful application of a Hong Kong Identity Card (HKID card), non-local students are eligible for public health care provided by the Hong Kong Government.

Financial matters
Upon arrival, students are advised to open a bank account to handle their finance matters. Identification documents such as passport are required to open a bank account. There is a branch office of a local bank in the Main Campus.

Currency exchange
Student can exchange foreign currency according to the daily exchange rates at any banks or money exchange shops in Hong Kong.

Maintained by: Admissions & Enrolment Office (Part-time & Postgraduate) ( regae@ouhk.edu.hk )
Modified Date: Nov 02, 2020