April is Assistant Professor in Applied Linguistcs in OUHK. Prior to joining OUHK, she taught in the MEd (LAC) and MA (TESOL) programs and supervised MEd and MA (TESOL) dissertations at Faculty of Education, HKU. Over the years, she has worked with frontline teachers in the English and Social Studies/Liberal Studies/Integrated Humanties subjects in Hong Kong, Thailand and Sweden in various CLIL/LAC projects.
Her main research interests are bilingual education, content and language integrated learning (CLIL)/language across the curriculum (LAC), sociolinguistics, and critical cultural studies. Her work has been published in journals including International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education, Discourse & Communication, and Chinese Journal of Communication.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Bilingual Education
- (Critical) Discourse Analysis
- Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL)/Language across the Curriculum (LAC)
- Critical Cultural Studies
Academic & Professional Experience
Honorary Appointment and Selected Awards
- Honorary Assistant Professor, Technology-Enrinched Learning Initiative(TELI), The University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Mediation and Arbitration Centre Professional Award
- Teaching Award, Faculty of Education, The University of Hong Kong
Selected Research Projects
- “EFL Students’ Self-directed Technology Use for Content and Language Integrated Learning”. Principal Investigator, School Research Fund, The Open University of Hong Kong
- “Corpus-assisted Discourse Studies on News Reports about Hong Kong” (《語料庫輔助的涉港新聞話語研究》), Co-investigator, National Social Science Foundation (Mainland China) (Project No.: 17CYY065)
- Level 1-B in the National Putonghua Proficiency Test (Putonghua Shuiping Ceshi)
- Liu, Y., He, E., Lai, H. Y.V. (2014). Reading and Writing Skills for HKDSE Liberal Studies Exam. Hong Kong: The Hong Kong Educational Publishing Co.
- Liu, Y. & Lin, A. M. Y. (2017). Popular culture and teaching English to speakers of other languages (TESOL). In S. L.Thorne (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Language and Education (Ed. S. May) Vol. 9: Language, Education and Technology. Springer. (doi:10.1007/978-3-319-02328-1_38-1)
- Liu, Y. (2019). Exploring bilingual learners’ desires in English-medium studies: Evidence from a Thai private bilingual school.International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13670050.2019.1631750).(SSCI journal)
- To, J. & Liu, Y. (2017). Using peer and teacher-student exemplar dialogues to unpack assessment standards: Challenges and possibilities, 43(3), 449-460 Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education.(SSCI journal)
- Chui, H. L., Liu, Y., Mak, B. (2016). Code-switching for newcomers and veterans: A mutually-constructed discourse strategy for workplace socialization and identification. International Journal of Applied Linguistics, 26(1), 25-51. (ESCI journal)
- Liu, Y. (2015). Yellow or blue ribbons: analysing discourses in conflict in the televized government-student meeting during the Occupy Movement in Hong Kong. Chinese Journal of Communication, 8 (4), 456-467.(SSCI journal)
- Liu, Y. (2015). Critical Perspectives on Language Teaching Materials, edited by J. Gray. Language and Education, 29(1), 90-92.(SSCI journal)
- Liu, Y. (2012). Re/Production of Gender Ideologies in Everyday Language Practices: Analysing interactions in beauty spas in Hong Kong. Linguistic Research (《语言学研究》), 12, 154-172.(CSCI journal)
- Mak, B., Liu, Y. Deneen, C. C. (2012). Humor in the workplace: A regulating and coping mechanism in socialization. Discourse and Communication, 6(2), 163-179.(SSCI journal)
- Liu, Y. (2012)Enhancing Critical Thinking Ability in Hong Kong Senior Secondary Liberal Studies Classrooms: Analyzing Classroom Interaction in the Age of Web 2.0. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences Journal, 51(2012), 386-391.
- Mak, B., Chui, H. L., Liu, Y. (2012). Instant Messaging and Microblogging: Situated-Learning Platforms for Educationists and Workplace Mentors. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences Journal, 51(2012), 392-399.
Selected Professional & Community Services
- Reviewer for Innovation in Language Learning and Teaching (ESCI journal)
- Reviewer for Journal of Immersion and Content-Based Language Education (ESCI journal)
- Reviewer for Cogent Education (ESCI journal)
- Guest speaker in “Backchat” on “Liberal Studies Reform”, RTHK
- Guest speaker in “Gender Stereotyping and Equal Opportunities”, a webinar jointly organized by Curriculum Development Institute (CDI), Education Bureau, HKSAR and the Hong Kong Federation of Youth Groups
- Invited talk, "Adapting SFL Genre Pedagogy for Content and Language Integrated Learning: Case Studies in HK, Thailand and Sweden". LBFS Seminar, Faculty of Education, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- Invited talk, (With Lin, A. M. Y.) "Developing Critical Literacies Among Undergraduate Students: ‘Critical Readings of Popular Culture’". Seminar given at the Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea
Link to personal homepage
Link to Google Scholar page
Modified Date: Aug 13, 2019