Dr. Lee is Assistant Professor, Programme Leader for Global and China Studies, and Research Fellow of Public and Social Policy Research Institute. Before he joined the School, he had taught Global China Studies and Social Sciences programmes in the School of Humanities and Social Science at The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST). He was Senior Research Fellow in the Faculty of Law at The University of Hong Kong (HKU), Visiting Scholar at the Division of International Political Theory, Institute of World Economics and Politics at Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS) in Beijing, and Research Assistant in Researcher Fostering Laboratory, China in Comparative Perspective Network Global at London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE). Dr. Lee has teaching experiences at The University of Auckland and Auckland University of Technology in New Zealand. Dr. Lee holds membership to International Studies Association, International Political Science Association, Academic Council on the United Nations System, Asian Academy of International Law, and European Association for Chinese Studies. In recent years, he has been academically active in Hong Kong, mainland China, Taiwan, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Finland, and Russia.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Intellectual history and global politics
- International Relations theory
- International organisations and global governance
- Public international law, comparative law, legal history, and jurisprudence
- Chinese politics and foreign relations
- Psychocultural study of international relations
- Knowledge production
Academic & Professional Experience
Guest speaker, The Finnish Institute of International Affairs (FIIA), Helsinki
Visiting Fellow, Centre for Comparative and Public Law (CCPL), Faculty of Law, The University of Hong Kong
Visiting Scholar, Division of International Politics Theory, Institute of World Economics and Politics (IWEP), Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, Beijing
Intern, General Assembly Affairs Branch, Department of General Assembly and Conference Management (DGACM), United Nations Secretariat, New York Headquarters
- Conflict and Resolution in World Politics: A Classical Chinese Perspective (Forthcoming, with World Scientific Publishing)
- Lee, Walter (2013) “China’s Unassertive Rise: What Is Assertiveness and How We Have Misunderstood It?” International Journal of China Studies, 4 (3) (Supplement), 503-538.
- Lee, Walter (2013) “China’s Stand on Humanitarian Intervention and R2P: Challenges and the Problematic ‘West’?” International Journal of China Studies, 4 (3) (Supplement), 469-484.
- Review of Understanding Contemporary China, 4th ed., Robert E. Gamer ed. (Boulder, CO and London: Lynne Rienner Publishers, 2012) for the Academic Council on the United Nations System (ACUNS), published 5 Jul 2016.
- Review of Never Forget National Humiliation: Historical Memory in Chinese Politics and Foreign Policy, by Wang Zheng (New York: Columbia University Press, 2012) for Historical Dialogues, Justice, and Memory Network, Columbia University, published 17 Dec 2013.
Modified Date: Mar 17, 2019