Prof. Fred Lee obtained his BSc (Hons) and PhD from, Department of Applied Biology and Chemical Technology, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University in 2003 and 2007 respectively. He worked as a Post-doctoral fellow at the same Department in 2008 before he joined OUHK as a Lecturer in 2009.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Prof. Lee is a well-trained Biochemist and he is experienced in teaching a wide range of biological topics, such as Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, DNA Technology, Microbiology etc.
Dr. Lee is an active researcher and his research interest focused on four streams:
(1) The use of molecular and proteomic approaches to study the harmful algal blooms (HABs) and the associated toxin – production mechanisms
(2) The interaction between marine bacteria and microalgae
(3) Development of testing technologies for microorganism identification and food authentication
(4) Microalgae in Mangrove Wetland Ecosystems
Academic & Professional Experience
- Vice Chairman of the organizing committee, The 1st Annual Scientific Conference of the IRITS, August 26-27, 2016 Hong Kong.
- Executive Vice Chairman of the Organizing Committee, The 6th International Conference on the Prevention and Management of Harmful Algae Bloom in South China Sea cum The 2nd International Conference on Beneficial Uses of Algal Biomass (20 Nov 2015 – 23 Nov 2015).
- Co-organized with Bio-gene Ltd to hold a professional seminar in OUHK: Methodology and Technology in Microbiology Testing (11 Feb 2015).
- Technical Program Chair of the Organizing Committee, Testing and Certification Conference 2014 - Global Opportunities and Challenges (12 Nov 2014 – 14 Nov 2014).
- Executive Vice Chairman of the Organizing Committee, The International Conference on Biodiversity and conservation of wetland in South China (27 May 2014 – 30 May 2014).
- Executive Vice Chairman of the Organizing Committee, The 1st International Conference on Beneficial Uses of Algal Biomass (4 Nov 2013 – 9 Nov 2013).
- Vice Chairman of the Organizing Committee, The 5th International Conference on the Prevention and Management of Harmful Algae Bloom in South China Sea (29 March 2012 – 1 April 2012).
- Kin-Ka Chan, Celia Sze-Nga Kwok, Eric Tung-Po Sze, Fred Wang-Fat Lee*. (2018) Evaluation of the Use of TRIzol-Based Protein Extraction Approach for Gel-Based Proteomic Analysis of Dried Seafood Products and Chinese Tonic Foods. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 19 (7), 1998
- Roy Chi-Ho Chan, Steven Sai-Wo Lam, Fiona Long-Yan Fong, Dominic Tak-Wah Chan, Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Eric Tung-Po Sze. (2018) Optimization of protein extraction and two-dimensional gel electrophoresis profiles for the identification of Cordyceps sinensis and other similar species. PLoS ONE 13(8): e0202779.
- Thomas Chun-Hung Lee, Fiona Long-Yan Fong, Kin-Chung Ho, Fred Wang-Fat Lee*. (2016) The Mechanism of Diarrhetic Shellfish Poisoning Toxin Production in Prorocentrum spp.: Physiological and Molecular Perspectives. Toxins 272 (8), 1-23
- Celia Sze -Nga Kwok, Wan Wing Wai, Kin Ka Chan, Steven Jin-Liang Xu, Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Kin Chung Ho. (2016) A microalgal species Karenia mikimotoi rarely appeared in Hong Kong caused serious fish kill incident recently. Harmful Algal News, 53: 4
- Eva Pintado Castilla, Davi Gasparini Fernandes Cunha, Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Steven Loiselle, Kin Chung Ho, Charlotte Hall. (2015) Quantification of phytoplankton bloom dynamics by citizen scientists in urban and peri-urban environments. Environmental monitoring and assessment 187(11): 690
- Xin-Xin Ai, Jun-Rong Liang, Ya-Hui Gao, Samuel Chun-Lap Lo, Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Chang-Ping Chen, Chun-Shan Luo and Chao Du. (2014) MALDI-TOF MS analysis of the extracellular polysaccharides released by the diatom Thalassiosira pseudonana under various nutrient conditions. Journal of Applied Phycology 25(2), 477-484
- Xueping Chen, Shisan Xu, Tianfeng Tan, Sin Ting Lee, Shuk Han Cheng, Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Steven Jing Liang Xu and Kin Chung Ho. (2014) Toxicity and Estrogenic Endocrine Disrupting Activity of Phthalates and Their Mixtures. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 11, 3156-3168
- Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Kin-Chung Ho, Daniel Yun-Lam Mak, Junrong Liang, Changping Chen, Yahui Gao and Samuel Chun-Lap Lo. (2013) Cellular Protein/Peptide Expression Profiles (PEPs): an alternative approach for easy identification of cyanobacterial species. Journal of Integrated OMICS 3(2), 174-184
- Kin-Chung Ho, Steven Jinliang Xu, Kam-Chau Wu, Fred Wang-Fat Lee* (2013). Effective growth of dinoflagellate Prorocentrum minimum by cultivating the cells using municipal wastewater as nutrient source. Water Science and Technology 68(5), 1100-1106
- Thomas Chun-Hung Lee, Oi-Ting Kwok, Kin-Chung Ho, Fred Wang-Fat Lee* (2012). Effects of nitrate and phosphate on the growth and toxin production of an Alexandrium tamarense strain collected from Drake Passage. Marine Environmental Research. 81, 62-69
- Kin-Chung Ho, Thomas Chun-Hung Lee, Oi-Ting Kwok, Fred Wang-Fat Lee* (2012) Phylogenetic analysis on a strain of Alexandrium tamarense collected from Antarctic Ocean. Harmful Algae 15, 100-108
- Chung-Him Yu, Peter Hoi-Fu Yu, Kin-Chung Ho and Fred Wang-Fat Lee* (2011). Isolation and Identification of a New Tetrodotoxin-Producing Bacterial Species, Raoultella terrigena, from Hong Kong Marine Puffer Fish Takifugu niphobles. Marine Drugs 9(11), 2384-2396.
- Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Kin-Chung Ho, Daniel Yun-Lam Mak, Samuel Chun-Lap Lo. (2011) Authentication of the proteins expression profiles (PEPs) identification methodology in a bloom of Karenia digitata, the most damaging harmful algal bloom causative agent in the history of Hong Kong. Harmful Algae 12, 1-10.
- Fred Wang-Fat Lee, David Morse and Samuel Chun-Lap Lo. (2009) Identification of two plastid proteins in the dinoflagellate Alexandrium affine that are substantially down-regulated by nitrogen-depletion. Journal of Proteome research 8(11), 5080-5092
- Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Kin-Chung Ho and Samuel Chun-Lap Lo (2008). Rapid Identification of Dinoflagellates Using Protein Profiling With Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption/Ionization Mass Spectrometry. Harmful Algae 7, 551-559.
- Fred Wang-Fat Lee and Samuel Chun-Lap Lo. (2008) The use of Trizol reagent (phenol/guanidine isothiocyanate) for producing high-quality two-dimensional gel electrophoretograms (2-DE) of dinoflagellates. Journal of Microbiological Methods 73(1), 26-32
- Fred Wang-Fat Lee and Samuel Chun-Lap Lo. (2007) Proteomic Study of Micro-Algae: Sample Preparation for Two-Dimensional Gel Electrophoresis and De Novo Peptide Sequencing Using MALDI-TOF MS. Current Proteomics 4(2), 67-78.
Selected Professional & Community Services
- Honorary Fellowship, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (2009 - 2012)
- Member, Association on Harmful Algal Blooms in the South China Sea
- Member, Hong Kong Proteomic Society (HKPS)
Modified Date: Dec 05, 2019