Prof. Fred Lee obtained his BSc (Hons) and PhD from, Department of Applied Biology and Chemical Technology, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University in 2003 and 2007 respectively. He worked as a Post-doctoral fellow at the same Department in 2008 before he joined OUHK as a Lecturer in 2009.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Environmental Biochemistry
- Harmful Algal Blooms
- Coastal Wetland
Academic & Professional Experience
Research Grants (In the Past 5 years)
- PI, Training Citizen Scientist to Study Seasonal Dynamics of Phytoplankton and Its Relationship With Coastal Water Quality of Non-gazetted Beach in Western and Southern parts of Hong Kong (2022), Marine Conservation Enhancement Fund (MCEF), HKD$ 1,514,430
- PI, Community Structure and Metaproteomics of Microorganism Assemblages Collected from Pneumatophores of Avicennia marina in mangrove Ecosystem (2022), FDS (RGC), HKD$ 1,321,400
- PI, Set-up of the Metropolitan Algal Repository and Supply (MARS): for conservation, research and commercial development in coastal environment of Greater Bay Area (GBA) (2022), Research Impact Fund (HKMU), HKD$ 999,948
- PI, Strengthen the capability and capacity for cutting-edge coastal wetland research (2021), Research Matching Grant (HKMU), HKD$ 3,110,205
- PI, Mechanism Underlying Algicidal Activity of P4, a Novel Bacterium Isolated from an Algal Bloom in Hong Kong, against Ichthyotoxic Dinoflagellate Karenia mikimotoi (2021), FDS (RGC), HKD$ 894,800
- PI (Project Leader), University Research Facilities for Basic and Applied Coastal Wetland Research in the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area (2020), IDS RIG (RGC), HKD$ 9,302,438
- PI, Investigation on the biodiversity, abundance and association of epiphytic microalgae on pneumatophores of mangrove and their molecular responses to different environmental variation (2020), Research & Development Fund (HKMU), HKD$ 150,000
- PI, Molecular Responses of Fish Gills Experimentally Exposed to Ichthyotoxic Dinoflagellate Karenia mikimotoi (2019), FDS (RGC), HKD$ 699,523
- PI, Establishment of Algal Culture Collection Library from Mangrove Wetland Ecosystems in China: Relationships between Microalgal Biodiversity and Water Quality, Research & Development Fund (HKMU), HKD$ 546,180
- Co-I, Rapid and Easy Discrimination and Authentication of Different Chinese Medicinal Granules Powders by Spectroscopic Fingerprinting Analysis (2018), Katie Shu Sui Pui Charitable Trust Research and Publication Fund, HKD$ 99,675
- Co-I, Preliminary Investigation in the Prevalence of Antibiotics Resistant Bacteria in Vegetables (Phase I) (2018), Research & Development Fund (HKMU), HKD$ 100,000
- Co-PI, Third Phase of Institutional Research Capacity Development: Strategic Research Development in Three Focused Areas (2017), IDS (RGC), HKD$ 5,602,623
- Co-I, Preliminary Screen and Identification of Antimicrobial Compounds in Algal Extracts (2017), Research & Development Fund (HKMU), HKD$ 100,000
Other Grants (In the Past 5 years)
- PI, Workshops on Applying Science Process Skills and Technology on STEM Education for Teachers of Primary Schools (2021), EDB, HKD$ 1,395,000
- Team member, Industrial Attachment Project for Science and Technology Students (2021), EDB, HKD$ 9,304,000
- Leader, Production of Learning and Teaching Resource Package on Practical Activities related to Biotechnology and Microbiology cum Training Programmes, EDB, HKD$ 1,299,983
- PI, Workshops on Applying Science Process Skills on STEM Education in the 2019/20 School Year for Teachers of Primary Schools, EDB, HKD$ 328,000
- Chairman of the organizing committee, Seminar on Coastal Wetland Research and Management, 3 September 2021
- Vice Chairman of the organizing committee, The 1st Annual Scientific Conference of the IRITS, August 26-27, 2016 Hong Kong.
- Executive Vice Chairman of the Organizing Committee, The 6th International Conference on the Prevention and Management of Harmful Algae Bloom in South China Sea cum The 2nd International Conference on Beneficial Uses of Algal Biomass (20 Nov 2015 – 23 Nov 2015).
- Co-organized with Bio-gene Ltd to hold a professional seminar in OUHK: Methodology and Technology in Microbiology Testing (11 Feb 2015).
- Technical Program Chair of the Organizing Committee, Testing and Certification Conference 2014 - Global Opportunities and Challenges (12 Nov 2014 – 14 Nov 2014).
- Executive Vice Chairman of the Organizing Committee, The International Conference on Biodiversity and conservation of wetland in South China (27 May 2014 – 30 May 2014).
- Executive Vice Chairman of the Organizing Committee, The 1st International Conference on Beneficial Uses of Algal Biomass (4 Nov 2013 – 9 Nov 2013).
- Vice Chairman of the Organizing Committee, The 5th International Conference on the Prevention and Management of Harmful Algae Bloom in South China Sea (29 March 2012 – 1 April 2012).
- Steven Jing-Liang Xu, Sophie Cheuk-Yan Chan, Brian Yu-Keung Wong, Hai-Chao Zhou, Feng-Lan Li, Nora Fung-Yee Tam, Fred Wang-Fat Lee*. (2022) Relationship Between Phytoplankton Community and Water Parameters in Planted Fringing Mangrove Area in South China. Science of the Total Environment 817, 152838
- Steven Jing-Liang Xu, Kam-Chau Wu, Winnie Lam, Fred Wang-Fat Lee*. (2022) Evaluation of a Causative Species of Harmful Algal Blooming, Prorocentrum triestinum, as a Sustainable Source of Biosorption on Cadmium. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering10(6):837.
- Yang-Mei Yu, Peggy Miu-Yee Poon, Aayushi Ashok Sharma, Sidney Man-Ngai Chan, Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Ian Wing-Yin Mo, Eric Tung-Po Sze. (2022) Colonization of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG in Cirrhinus molitorella (Mud Carp) Fingerling: Evidence for Improving Disease Resistance and Growth Performance. Applied Microbiology 2(1), 175-184
- Celia Sze-Nga Kwok, Kaze King-Yip Lai, Winnie Lam, Steven Jing-Liang Xu, Sai-Wo Lam, Fred Wang-Fat Lee*. (2021) Proteome Analysis of Whole-Body Responses in Medaka Experimentally Exposed to Fish-Killing Dinoflagellate Karenia mikimotoi. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 22 (21), 11625
- Kin-Ka Chan, Nora Fung-Yee Tam, Christie Ng, Celia Sze-Nga Kwok, Steven Jing-Liang Xu, Eric Tung-Po Sze, Fred Wang-Fat Lee*. (2021) Proteome Response of Meretrix Bivalves Hepatopancreas Exposed to Paralytic Shellfish Toxins Producing Dinoflagellate Gymnodinium catenatum. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering 9(9),1039
- Thomas Chun-Hung Lee, Ping-Lung Chan, Nora Fung-Yee Tam, Steven Jing-Liang Xu, Fred Wang-Fat Lee*. (2021) Establish Axenic Cultures of Armored and Unarmored Marine Dinoflagellate Species Using Density Separation, Antibacterial Treatments and Stepwise Dilution Selection. Scientific Reports 11, 202
- Jiehan Duan, Jie Han, Siu Gin Cheung, Kong Yuen Chong Richard, Chui-Man Lo, Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Steven Jing-liang Xu, Yang Yang, Nora Fung-Yee Tam and Haichao Zhou. (2021) How Mangrove Plants Affect Microplastic Distribution in Sediments of Coastal Wetlands: Case Study in Shenzhen Bay, South China. Science of the Total Environment 767, 144695
- Kit-Ling Lam, Wai-Po Kong, Po-Yi Ling, Tsz-Ho Lau, Kin-Hang Ho, Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Ping-Lung Chan (2020) Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria in Hydroponic Lettuce in Retail: A comparative Survey. Foods 9, 1327.
- Simon Yat-Fan Ho, Steven Jing-Liang Xu, Fred Wang-Fat Lee*. (2020) Citizen Science: An Alternative Way For Water Monitoring in Hong Kong. PLoS ONE 15(9): e0238349.
- Sirius Pui-Kam Tse^, Fred Wang-Fat Lee^, Daniel Yun-Lam Mak, Hang-Kin Kong, Kenrick Kai-Yuen Chan, Pak-Yeung Lo, Samuel Chun-Lap Lo. (2020) Production of Paralytic Shellfish Toxins (PSTs) in Toxic Alexnadrium Catenella is Interwined with Photosynthesis and Energy Production. Toxins 12, 477 (^Authors with equal contributions)
- Thomas Chun-Hung Lee, Kaze King-Yip Lai, Celia Sze-Nga Kwok, Steven Jing-Liang Xu, Fred Wang-Fat Lee*. (2020) Comparison of Five TRIzol-Based Protein Preparation Methods for 2-DE Production From Challenging Marine Dinoflagellate Samples: A Case Study on Two Benthic Prorocentrum Species. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering 8(5), 363
- Thomas Chun-Hung Lee, Ping-Lung Chan, Steven Jing-Liang Xu, Fred Wang-Fat Lee*. (2020) Comparison of growth and toxicity responses between non-toxic and toxic strains of Prorocentrum hoffmannianum. Aquatic Biology 29:59-70.
- Steven Jing-Liang Xu, Kam-Chau Wu, Sophie Cheuk-Yan Chan, Yiu-Hung Yau, Kin-Ka Chan, Fred Wang-Fat Lee*. (2020) Investigation of Growth, Lipid Productivity, and Fatty Acid Profiles in Marine Bloom-Forming Dinoflagellates as Potential Feedstock for Biodiesel. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering 8(5), 381
- Celia Sze-Nga Kwok, Kaze King-Yip Lai, Sai-Wo Lam, Kin-Ka Chan, Steven Jing-Liang Xu, Fred Wang-Fat Lee*. (2020) Production of high-quality two-dimensional gel electrophoresis profile for marine medaka samples by using Trizol-based protein extraction approaches. Proteome Science 18(5), 1-13
- Kin-Ka Chan, Celia Sze-Nga Kwok, Eric Tung-Po Sze, Fred Wang-Fat Lee*. (2018) Evaluation of the Use of TRIzol-Based Protein Extraction Approach for Gel-Based Proteomic Analysis of Dried Seafood Products and Chinese Tonic Foods. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 19 (7), 1998
- Roy Chi-Ho Chan, Steven Sai-Wo Lam, Fiona Long-Yan Fong, Dominic Tak-Wah Chan, Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Eric Tung-Po Sze. (2018) Optimization of protein extraction and two-dimensional gel electrophoresis profiles for the identification of Cordyceps sinensis and other similar species. PLoS ONE 13(8): e0202779.
- Thomas Chun-Hung Lee, Fiona Long-Yan Fong, Kin-Chung Ho, Fred Wang-Fat Lee*. (2016) The Mechanism of Diarrhetic Shellfish Poisoning Toxin Production in Prorocentrum spp.: Physiological and Molecular Perspectives. Toxins 272 (8), 1-23
- Celia Sze -Nga Kwok, Wan Wing Wai, Kin Ka Chan, Steven Jin-Liang Xu, Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Kin Chung Ho. (2016) A microalgal species Karenia mikimotoi rarely appeared in Hong Kong caused serious fish kill incident recently. Harmful Algal News, 53: 4
- Eva Pintado Castilla, Davi Gasparini Fernandes Cunha, Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Steven Loiselle, Kin Chung Ho, Charlotte Hall. (2015) Quantification of phytoplankton bloom dynamics by citizen scientists in urban and peri-urban environments. Environmental monitoring and assessment 187(11): 690
- Xin-Xin Ai, Jun-Rong Liang, Ya-Hui Gao, Samuel Chun-Lap Lo, Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Chang-Ping Chen, Chun-Shan Luo and Chao Du. (2014) MALDI-TOF MS analysis of the extracellular polysaccharides released by the diatom Thalassiosira pseudonana under various nutrient conditions. Journal of Applied Phycology 25(2), 477-484
- Xueping Chen, Shisan Xu, Tianfeng Tan, Sin Ting Lee, Shuk Han Cheng, Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Steven Jing Liang Xu and Kin Chung Ho. (2014) Toxicity and Estrogenic Endocrine Disrupting Activity of Phthalates and Their Mixtures. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 11, 3156-3168
- Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Kin-Chung Ho, Daniel Yun-Lam Mak, Junrong Liang, Changping Chen, Yahui Gao and Samuel Chun-Lap Lo. (2013) Cellular Protein/Peptide Expression Profiles (PEPs): an alternative approach for easy identification of cyanobacterial species. Journal of Integrated OMICS 3(2), 174-184
- Kin-Chung Ho, Steven Jinliang Xu, Kam-Chau Wu, Fred Wang-Fat Lee* (2013). Effective growth of dinoflagellate Prorocentrum minimum by cultivating the cells using municipal wastewater as nutrient source. Water Science and Technology 68(5), 1100-1106
- Thomas Chun-Hung Lee, Oi-Ting Kwok, Kin-Chung Ho, Fred Wang-Fat Lee* (2012). Effects of nitrate and phosphate on the growth and toxin production of an Alexandrium tamarense strain collected from Drake Passage. Marine Environmental Research. 81, 62-69
- Kin-Chung Ho, Thomas Chun-Hung Lee, Oi-Ting Kwok, Fred Wang-Fat Lee* (2012) Phylogenetic analysis on a strain of Alexandrium tamarense collected from Antarctic Ocean. Harmful Algae 15, 100-108
- Chung-Him Yu, Peter Hoi-Fu Yu, Kin-Chung Ho and Fred Wang-Fat Lee* (2011). Isolation and Identification of a New Tetrodotoxin-Producing Bacterial Species, Raoultella terrigena, from Hong Kong Marine Puffer Fish Takifugu niphobles. Marine Drugs 9(11), 2384-2396.
- Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Kin-Chung Ho, Daniel Yun-Lam Mak, Samuel Chun-Lap Lo. (2011) Authentication of the proteins expression profiles (PEPs) identification methodology in a bloom of Karenia digitata, the most damaging harmful algal bloom causative agent in the history of Hong Kong. Harmful Algae 12, 1-10.
- Fred Wang-Fat Lee, David Morse and Samuel Chun-Lap Lo. (2009) Identification of two plastid proteins in the dinoflagellate Alexandrium affine that are substantially down-regulated by nitrogen-depletion. Journal of Proteome research 8(11), 5080-5092
- Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Kin-Chung Ho and Samuel Chun-Lap Lo (2008). Rapid Identification of Dinoflagellates Using Protein Profiling With Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption/Ionization Mass Spectrometry. Harmful Algae 7, 551-559.
- Fred Wang-Fat Lee and Samuel Chun-Lap Lo. (2008) The use of Trizol reagent (phenol/guanidine isothiocyanate) for producing high-quality two-dimensional gel electrophoretograms (2-DE) of dinoflagellates. Journal of Microbiological Methods 73(1), 26-32
- Fred Wang-Fat Lee and Samuel Chun-Lap Lo. (2007) Proteomic Study of Micro-Algae: Sample Preparation for Two-Dimensional Gel Electrophoresis and De Novo Peptide Sequencing Using MALDI-TOF MS. Current Proteomics 4(2), 67-78.
Selected Professional & Community Services
- Honorary Fellowship, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (2009 - 2012)
- Member, Association on Harmful Algal Blooms in the South China Sea
- Member, Hong Kong Proteomic Society (HKPS)
Modified Date: Jun 20, 2022