Prof. Fred Lee obtained his BSc (Hons) and PhD from, Department of Applied Biology and Chemical Technology, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University in 2003 and 2007 respectively. He worked as a Post-doctoral fellow at the same Department in 2008 before he joined OUHK as a Lecturer in 2009.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- DNA Technology
- Environmental Science
- Thomas Chun-Hung Lee, Kaze King-Yip Lai, Celia Sze-Nga Kwok, Steven Jing-Liang Xu, Fred Wang-Fat Lee*. (2020) Comparison of Five TRIzol-Based Protein Preparation Methods for 2-DE Production From Challenging Marine Dinoflagellate Samples: A Case Study on Two Benthic Prorocentrum Species. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering 8(5), 363
- Thomas Chun-Hung Lee, Ping-Lung Chan, Steven Jin-Liang Xu, Fred Wang-Fat Lee*. (2020) Comparison of growth and toxicity responses between non-toxic and toxic strains of Prorocentrum hoffmannianum. Aquatic Biology 29:59-70.
- Steven Jing-Liang Xu, Kam-Chau Wu, Sophie Cheuk-Yan Chan, Yiu-Hung Yau, Kin-Ka Chan, Fred Wang-Fat Lee*. (2020) Investigation of Growth, Lipid Productivity, and Fatty Acid Profiles in Marine Bloom-Forming Dinoflagellates as Potential Feedstock for Biodiesel. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering 8(5), 381
- Celia Sze-Nga Kwok, Kaze King-Yip Lai, Sai-Wo Lam, Kin-Ka Chan, Steven Jing-Liang Xu, Fred Wang-Fat Lee*. (2020) Production of high-quality two-dimensional gel electrophoresis profile for marine medaka samples by using Trizol-based protein extraction approaches. Proteome Science 18(5), 1-13
- Kin-Ka Chan, Celia Sze-Nga Kwok, Eric Tung-Po Sze, Fred Wang-Fat Lee*. (2018) Evaluation of the Use of TRIzol-Based Protein Extraction Approach for Gel-Based Proteomic Analysis of Dried Seafood Products and Chinese Tonic Foods. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 19 (7), 1998
- Roy Chi-Ho Chan, Steven Sai-Wo Lam, Fiona Long-Yan Fong, Dominic Tak-Wah Chan, Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Eric Tung-Po Sze. (2018) Optimization of protein extraction and two-dimensional gel electrophoresis profiles for the identification of Cordyceps sinensis and other similar species. PLoS ONE 13(8): e0202779.
- Thomas Chun-Hung Lee, Fiona Long-Yan Fong, Kin-Chung Ho, Fred Wang-Fat Lee*. (2016) The Mechanism of Diarrhetic Shellfish Poisoning Toxin Production in Prorocentrum spp.: Physiological and Molecular Perspectives. Toxins 272 (8), 1-23
- Celia Sze -Nga Kwok, Wan Wing Wai, Kin Ka Chan, Steven Jin-Liang Xu, Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Kin Chung Ho. (2016) A microalgal species Karenia mikimotoi rarely appeared in Hong Kong caused serious fish kill incident recently. Harmful Algal News, 53: 4
- Eva Pintado Castilla, Davi Gasparini Fernandes Cunha, Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Steven Loiselle, Kin Chung Ho, Charlotte Hall. (2015) Quantification of phytoplankton bloom dynamics by citizen scientists in urban and peri-urban environments. Environmental monitoring and assessment 187(11): 690
- Xin-Xin Ai, Jun-Rong Liang, Ya-Hui Gao, Samuel Chun-Lap Lo, Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Chang-Ping Chen, Chun-Shan Luo and Chao Du. (2014) MALDI-TOF MS analysis of the extracellular polysaccharides released by the diatom Thalassiosira pseudonana under various nutrient conditions. Journal of Applied Phycology 25(2), 477-484
- Xueping Chen, Shisan Xu, Tianfeng Tan, Sin Ting Lee, Shuk Han Cheng, Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Steven Jing Liang Xu and Kin Chung Ho. (2014) Toxicity and Estrogenic Endocrine Disrupting Activity of Phthalates and Their Mixtures. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 11, 3156-3168
- Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Kin-Chung Ho, Daniel Yun-Lam Mak, Junrong Liang, Changping Chen, Yahui Gao and Samuel Chun-Lap Lo. (2013) Cellular Protein/Peptide Expression Profiles (PEPs): an alternative approach for easy identification of cyanobacterial species. Journal of Integrated OMICS 3(2), 174-184
- Kin-Chung Ho, Steven Jinliang Xu, Kam-Chau Wu, Fred Wang-Fat Lee* (2013). Effective growth of dinoflagellate Prorocentrum minimum by cultivating the cells using municipal wastewater as nutrient source. Water Science and Technology 68(5), 1100-1106
- Thomas Chun-Hung Lee, Oi-Ting Kwok, Kin-Chung Ho, Fred Wang-Fat Lee* (2012). Effects of nitrate and phosphate on the growth and toxin production of an Alexandrium tamarense strain collected from Drake Passage. Marine Environmental Research. 81, 62-69
- Kin-Chung Ho, Thomas Chun-Hung Lee, Oi-Ting Kwok, Fred Wang-Fat Lee* (2012) Phylogenetic analysis on a strain of Alexandrium tamarense collected from Antarctic Ocean. Harmful Algae 15, 100-108
- Chung-Him Yu, Peter Hoi-Fu Yu, Kin-Chung Ho and Fred Wang-Fat Lee* (2011). Isolation and Identification of a New Tetrodotoxin-Producing Bacterial Species, Raoultella terrigena, from Hong Kong Marine Puffer Fish Takifugu niphobles. Marine Drugs 9(11), 2384-2396.
- Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Kin-Chung Ho, Daniel Yun-Lam Mak, Samuel Chun-Lap Lo. (2011) Authentication of the proteins expression profiles (PEPs) identification methodology in a bloom of Karenia digitata, the most damaging harmful algal bloom causative agent in the history of Hong Kong. Harmful Algae 12, 1-10.
- Fred Wang-Fat Lee, David Morse and Samuel Chun-Lap Lo. (2009) Identification of two plastid proteins in the dinoflagellate Alexandrium affine that are substantially down-regulated by nitrogen-depletion. Journal of Proteome research 8(11), 5080-5092
- Fred Wang-Fat Lee, Kin-Chung Ho and Samuel Chun-Lap Lo (2008). Rapid Identification of Dinoflagellates Using Protein Profiling With Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption/Ionization Mass Spectrometry. Harmful Algae 7, 551-559.
- Fred Wang-Fat Lee and Samuel Chun-Lap Lo. (2008) The use of Trizol reagent (phenol/guanidine isothiocyanate) for producing high-quality two-dimensional gel electrophoretograms (2-DE) of dinoflagellates. Journal of Microbiological Methods 73(1), 26-32
- Fred Wang-Fat Lee and Samuel Chun-Lap Lo. (2007) Proteomic Study of Micro-Algae: Sample Preparation for Two-Dimensional Gel Electrophoresis and De Novo Peptide Sequencing Using MALDI-TOF MS. Current Proteomics 4(2), 67-78.
Selected Professional & Community Services
- Honorary Fellowship, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (2009 - 2012)
- Member, Association on Harmful Algal Blooms in the South China Sea
- Member, Hong Kong Proteomic Society (HKPS)
Modified Date: May 27, 2020