Dr Terence Shum is Research Assistant Professor at Department of Social Sciences and Research Fellow in Public and Social Policy Research Centre. He is a development anthropologist whose ethnographic interests lie in Asia, particularly with migrants in Hong Kong, China and Thailand. His research interests include a number of migration and development issues such as refugee, border, identity, heritage, food, multiculturalism, globalisation, and South-South relations. He is the author of Asylum-seeking Journeys in Asia: Refugees in Hong Kong and Bangkok (Routledge, 2019). Dr Shum has successful records in obtaining research grants from Hong Kong Research Grants Council.
Dr Shum is the secretary of Hong Kong African Association which aims to promote African cultures and racial harmony in Hong Kong. He is also the co-founder of St. Monica Learning Center, Bangkok which provides education to refugee children in Bangkok, Thailand.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- International migration and refugee studies
- Border governance and security
- Cultural heritage and identity
- Spirituality and well-being
- Globalisation and multiculturalism
- Economic development and the Third World
Academic & Professional Experience
Selected Research Grants:
Principal Investigator, Project title: ‘Asylum-seeking journeys among refugees in Hong Kong: processes, meanings and impacts’. Faculty Development Scheme, Hong Kong Research Grants Council (UGC/FDS25(16)/H05/16) (HK$ 626,726) (1 January 2017 - 30 June 2019)
Principal Investigator, Project title: ‘Transnational migration and reconstructing “home”: the African diaspora in Hong Kong’. Faculty Development Scheme, Hong Kong Research Grants Council (UGC/FDS25/H02/15) (HK$567,907) (1 January 2016 - 30 June 2018)
Conference Presentation in recent three years:
Shum, T.C.T. (2019) "Multifaceted belonging: food, identity and integration strategies among African diaspora in Hong Kong" In The Royal Geographical Society - IBG Annual International Conference, London, U.K., 27-30 August 2019.
Shum, T.C.T (2019) “Emotional encounters in prolonged displacement: emotional well-being of refugees and anxiety refugee governance structure in Hong Kong” In 1st Annual Meeting of the Society for Hong Kong Studies, The University of Hong Kong, 22 June 2019.
Shum, T.C.T. (2019) “Minority culture and multiculturalism: a study of ethnic minorities cultural governance in Hong Kong” In International Conference of Cultural Governance in Asia, City University of Hong Kong and Hong Kong Shue Yan University, 10-11 May 2019.
Shum, T.C.T. (2019) “Asylum-seeking journeys: transnational migration, embodiment and emotional encounters among refugees in Hong Kong” In IMISCOE Spring Conference: Transforming Mobility and Immobility: Brexit and Beyond, University of Sheffield, U.K. 28-29 March 2019.
Shum, T.C.T. (2018) “Embodied bordering in the journeys to asylum: an ethnographic research on refugees in Hong Kong” In Global Migrations Conference 2018, Centre for Global Migrations, University of Otago, New Zealand, 20-22 February 2018.
Shum, T.C.T. (2017) “Exploring the effectiveness of ethnic minority policies: a study of African migrants in Hong Kong” In APPAM International Conference: Public Policy and Governance Beyond Borders, Brussels, Belgium, 13-14 July 2017.
Shum T.C.T. (2017) Keynote speech “Education for urban refugee children: international standards and local responses from Hong Kong and Thailand” In the 17th Doha Forum 2017, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Qatar, 14-15 May 2017.
- Shum, T.C.T. (in progress) African diaspora in Hong Kong: migration journeys, identity and home, Singapore: Springer Nature.
- Shum, T.C.T. (2019) Asylum-seeking journeys in Asia: refugees in Hong Kong and Bangkok, London: Routledge.
- Velath, P. M., Chew, V., Ghimire, R. and Shum, T.C.T. (2013) Urban refugees in Asia Pacific, resiliency and coping strategies, Thailand: Asia Pacific Refugee Rights Network.
- Man, H., Chan, J., Chan, D., Lam, J., Shum, T., Yim, M.M. and Wong, M. F. (2011) Asylum seekers pastoral care and policy avocation in Hong Kong (尋求庇護者在港的牧養與政策獻議) (In Chinese), Hong Kong: Hong Kong Christian Institute.
- Chan, Y. W. and Shum, T.C.T. (2011) “The Vietnamese minority: boatpeople settlement in Hong Kong.” In Chan, Y. W. (ed.) The Chinese/Vietnamese Diaspora-Revisiting the Boatpeople, New York: Routledge. pp. 65-75.
- Shum T.C.T. (under revision) "Culinary diaspora space: food culture and social integration of the African diaspora in Hong Kong" Asian and Pacific Migration Journal.
- Shum T.C.T. (2019) “Conceptualising integrative exchanges: marginalisation, music and identity of African diaspora in Hong Kong” Migration and Development, 8(1):37-54.
- Shum, T.C.T. (2018) “Street-level multiculturalism: cultural integration and identity politics of African migrants in Hong Kong”. Cultural Diversity in China, 3(1): 37-57.
- Shum, T.C.T. (2014) Refugees’ transnational mobility: a study of asylum seeking in Hong Kong and urban Thailand. Refugee Survey Quarterly, 33(4): 50-80.
- Shum, T.C.T. (2011) Refugee protection and spaces: seeking asylum in Hong Kong. The Oxford Monitor of Forced Migration, 1 (2): 17-20.
Selected Professional & Community Services
- Reviewer, Palgrave MacMillan (2018 - )
- Research Fellow (External), Centre for Governance and Citizenship, The Education University of Hong Kong. (2016 - )
- Consultant, Quality Education Fund project awarded to Tung Wah Group of Hospitals, Hong Kong S.A.R. (2016-2017)
- Academic Consultant, Stop Trafficking of People (STOP), Hong Kong
- Member, RC 31 Sociology of Migration, International Sociological Association
- Member, Society for Hong Kong Studies
- Secretary, Hong Kong African Association
- Co-founder, St. Monica Learning Centre, Bangkok, Thailand