Ms Lai has joined the Open University of Hong Kong since 2008. Before joining the OUHK, she obtained her bachelor degree in Language and Communications with first class honours from the Hong Kong Polytechnic University, as well as a master degree in Lingusitics from the Chinese University of Hong Kong. She is experienced in teaching courses on English Enhancement, Business Communication in Chinese and English.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Professional Communication
- Discourse Analysis
- Advertising Language
Academic & Professional Experience
2012 – Present, Associate Editor, The International Journal of Learning in Higher Education, USA.
2010 – 2016, Member of Departmental Advisory Committee, Department of Chinese and Bilingual Studies, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong.
- Lai, C.Y. & Lau, W.M. (2017). Unleashing Consumer Imagination: Language Effect on Imagery Advertising to Bilingual Consumers. In Proceedings of International Conference on Business, Economics and Management (pp.30–39), Tokyo, Japan.
- Lai, C.Y. & Lau, W.M. (2017). The Role of Presuppositions in Advertising: A Case Study: Advertisements for Real Estates in China. In Proceedings of International Conference on Business, Economics and Management (pp.36-40), Tokyo, Japan.
- Lai, C.Y. (2012). Pedagogical Potentials of Mobile-assisted Language Learning for ESL Learners’ Vocabulary Development: A Survey Study of Hong Kong Business Undergraduates, The International Journal of Learning in Higher Education, Vol 19, Issue 4, pp.29-48.
- Wu, Doreen, Lai, C.Y., & Wan, C.H. (2006). Language Usage and Value Changes in Hong Kong Advertising Discourses, Theory and Practice of Language Planning. pp.476-483.
Selected Professional & Community Services
- Member, China Pragmatics Association, China.
- Member, Linguistic Society of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- Member, International Corporate Marketing Communication Association, USA.
- Member, Association of Business Communication, USA.
- Associate, The eLearning Guild, USA.
Modified Date: Nov 30, 2019