Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Tourism and sustainable livelihoods
- Small tourism business
- Nature-based tourism
- Sense of place
- Cultural tourism
- Lo, A. L., Liu, S., Cheung, L. T. O. & Chan, F. K. S. (2019) Contested Transformations: Sustainable Economic Development and Capacity for Adapting to Climate Change, Annals of the American Association of Geographers, DOI: 10.1080/24694452.2019.1625748
- Chow, A. S. Y., Liu, S. & Cheung, L. T. O. (2019) Importance of residents’ satisfaction for supporting future tourism development in rural areas of Hong Kong, Asian Geographer, 36(2): 185-199, DOI: 10.1080/10225706.2019.1634110
- Lo, A. L., Liu, S. & Cheung, L. T. O. (2019) Socio-economic conditions and small business vulnerability to climate change impacts in Hong Kong, Climate and Development, DOI: 10.1080/17565529.2019.1594665
- Ma, A. T. H., Chow, A. S. Y., Cheung, L. T. O., & Liu, S. (2018). Self-determined travel motivation and environmentally responsible behaviour of Chinese visitors to national forest protected areas in South China. Global Ecology and Conservation, 16, e00480. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gecco.2018.e00480
- Ma, A. T. H., Chow, A. S. Y., Cheung, L. T. O., Lee, K. M. Y. and Liu, S. (2018). Impacts of tourists' sociodemographic characteristics on the Travel Motivation and Satisfaction: The case of protected areas in South China. Sustainability, 10(10), 3388.
- Lo, A. Y. & Liu, S. (2018). Towards sustainable consumption: A socio-economic analysis of household waste
recycling outcome in Hong Kong. Journal of Environmental Management, 214, 416-425. DOI:
- Liu, S., Cheung, L. T. O., Lo, A. Y. & Fang, W. (2018). Livelihood benefits from post-earthquake nature-based tourism development: A survey of local residents in rural China. Sustainability, 10(3), 699.
- Liu, S., Cheng, I. & Cheung, L. T. O. (2017). The Roles of Formal and Informal Institutions in Small Tourism
Business Development in Rural Areas of South China. Sustainability, 9(7), 1194.
- Liu, S., & Cheung, L. T. O. (2016). Sense of place and tourism business development: a case study of an
island rural community in South China. Tourism Geographies, 18(2), 174-193. DOI:
- Liu, Karen S.W., Gou, Gloria R. & Cheung, L. T. O. (2016). Understanding participants’ motivation and
willingness to pay for joining ecotourism training courses in Hong Kong. Asian Geographer,33(1), 23-
34. DOI: 10.1080/10225706.2016.1158117
- Mo, D., Guan, D. S., Liu, S. W., Huang, K. Y. & Liang, Y. D. (2011). Biomass, foliar dust and species
diversity of forests in ecological safety islands of urban Guangzhou (廣州城區生態安全島森林生物量、叶片滞塵和物種多樣性研究). Acta Scientiae Circumstantiae (環境科學學報), 31(3): 666-672.
- Mo, D., Guan, D. S., Huang, K. Y., Liu, S. W., & Peart, M. R. (2011). The structure and species diversity of
plant communities in ecological safety islands of urban Guangzhou (廣州城區生態安全島典型植物群落結構及物種多样性). Acta Ecologica Sinica (生態學報), 31(6): 1515-1524
Selected Professional & Community Services
- Member of the Assessment Committee of EcoGuide Certification (Greater China), Ecotourism Australia (March 2017-)
Modified Date: Aug 12, 2019