Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Marine and freshwater pollution
- Aquatic physiology
- Environmental toxicology
- Microalgal ecophysiology
Academic & Professional Experience
- 02/2022, Interdisciplinary Research Development on Smart City, RGC, HKD 5,326,800. Co-I.
- 01/2022, Set-up of the Metropolitan Algal Repository and Supply (MARS): for conservation, research and commercial development in coastal environment of Greater Bay Area (GBA), HKMU, HKD 999,948. Co-I.
- 12/2021, Growth inhibition mechanism of mangrove leaf on harmful algal species in coastal water based on ecotoxicological approaches, HKMU, HKD 150,000. PI.
- 09/2021, Strengthen the capability and capacity for cutting-edge coastal wetland research, HKMU, HKD 3,110,205. Co-I.
- 09/2021, Monitoring of the Impact of the Upgrade Project of the Yuen Long Wastewater Treatment Works on the Antibiotics Concentration and the Microbial Community in the Shan Pui River and the Mai Po Nature Reserve (Phase 1 – Baseline Establishment), Environment and Conservation Fund, HKD 450,000. PI.
- 12/2020, Allelopathic Effect of Mangrove Plants on Harmful Algal Bloom Causative Microalgae, OUHK, HKD 150,000. PI.
- 01/2020, University Research Facilities for Basic and Applied Coastal Wetland Research in Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area, RGC, HKD 9,302,438. Team member.
- 01/2020, Investigation on the biodiversity, abundance and association of epiphytic microalgae on pneumatophores of mangrove and their molecular responses to different environmental variation, OUHK, HKD 150,000. Co-I.
- 02/2019, Establishment of Algal Culture Collection Library from Mangrove Wetland Ecosystems in China: Relationships between Microalgal Biodiversity and Water Quality, OUHK, HKD 546,180, Co-I.
- 01/2019, Seasonal Succession of Microalgae and Their Relationship with Environmental Factors in the Sources of Hong Kong Drinking Water, RGC, HKD 882,150, PI.
- 01/2019, Molecular Responses of Fish Gills Experimentally Exposed to Ichthyotoxic Dinoflagellate Karenia mikimotoi, RGC, HKD 699,523. Co-I.
- 01/2019, Development of NGS platform for Molecular Phylogenetics Analysis of Microbial Population in the Futian National Nature Reserve, OUHK, HKD 210,600. Co-I.
- 06/2013, Assessing the Biofuel Production Potential of Dinoflagellates Isolated from Hong Kong Coastal Waters, OUHK, HKD 499,208. PI.
- 06/2011, Isolation and Cultivation of Microalgae from Local Coastal Waters for Both Wastewater Treatment and Biofuel Production, OUHK, HKD 398,534.4. Co-PI.
- Relationship between phytoplankton community and water parameters in planted fringing mangrove area in South China. Xu S.J.L., Chan S.C.Y., Wong B.Y.K., Zhou H.C., Li F.L., Tam N.F.Y. and Lee F.W.F. Science of the Total Environment 2022, 817, 152838.
- Effects of salinity on growth and in vitro ichthyotoxicity of three strains of Karenia mikimotoi. Winnie Lam, Emily Man-Shan Cheung, Nora Fung-Yee Tam, Thomas Chun- Hung Lee, Celia Sze-Nga Kwok, Kaze King-Yip Lai, Steven Jingliang Xu, Fred Wang-Fat Lee. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering. 2022. 10(9):1236.
- Evaluation of a Causative Species of Harmful Algal Blooming, Prorocentrum triestinum, as a Sustainable Source of Biosorption on Cadmium. Steven Jing-Liang Xu, Kam-Chau Wu, Winnie Lam, Fred Wang-Fat Lee. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering. 2022, 10(6), 837.
- Proteome Analysis of Whole-Body Responses in Medaka Experimentally Exposed to Fish-Killing Dinoflagellate Karenia mikimotoi. Celia Sze-Nga Kwok, Kaze King-Yip Lai, Winnie Lam, Steven Jing-Liang Xu, Sai-Wo Lam, Fred Wang-Fat Lee. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2021, 22 (21), 11625.
- Proteome Response of Meretrix Bivalves Hepatopancreas Exposed to Paralytic Shellfish Toxins Producing Dinoflagellate Gymnodinium catenatum. Chan K.K., Tam N.F.Y., Ng C., Kwok C.S.N., Xu S.J.L., Sze E.T.P, Lee F.W.F. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering. 2021, 9(9), 1039.
- How mangrove plants affect microplastic distribution in sediments of coastal wetlands: case study in Shenzhen Bay, South China. Duan J., Han J., Cheung S.G., Kong Y. C.R., Lo C.M., Lee F.W.F., Xu S.J.L., Yang Y., Tam N.F.Y. and Zhou H.C. Science of the Total Environment. 2021, 767, 144695.
- Establish axenic cultures of armored and unarmored marine dinoflagellate species using density separation, antibacterial treatments and stepwise dilution selection. Lee T.C.H., Chan P.L., Tam N.F.Y., Xu S.J.L., Lee F.W.F. Scientific Reports. 2021, 11, 202.
- Citizen science: An alternative way for water monitoring in Hong Kong. Ho S.Y.F., Xu S.J.*, Lee F.W.F. PLoS ONE. 2020, 15(9): e0238349.
- Investigation of Growth, Lipid Productivity, and Fatty Acid Profiles in Marine Bloom-Forming Dinoflagellates as Potential Feedstock for Biodiesel. Xu S.J.L., Wu K.C., Chan S.C.Y., Yau Y.H., Chan K.K., Lee F.W.F. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering. 2020, 8(5), 381.
- Comparison of Five TRIzol-Based Protein Preparation Methods for 2-DE Production From Challenging Marine Dinoflagellate Samples: A Case Study on Two Benthic Prorocentrum Species. Lee T.C.H., Lai K.K.Y., Kwok C.S.N., Xu S.J.L., Lee F.W.F. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering. 2020, 8(5), 363.
- Comparison of the growth and toxicity responses between a non-toxic and a toxic strain of Prorocentrum hoffmannisnum. Lee T.C.H., Chan P.L., Xu S.J.L., Lee F.W.F. Aquatic Biology 2020, 29, 59-70.
- Production of high-quality two-dimensional gel electrophoresis profile for marine medaka samples by using Trizol-based protein extraction approaches. Kwok C.S.N., Lai K.K.Y., Lam S.W., Chan K.K., Xu S.J.L., Lee F.W.F. Proteome Science. 2020, 18(5), 1-13.
- The tolerance of rabbitfish Siganus oramin to the ichthyotoxic alga Chattonella marina. Yiu S.K.F., Zhang F.F., Au D.W.T., Ho K.C., Xu S.J. Journal of Marine Biology and Aquaculture. 2017, 3(2), 1-4.
- Karenia mikimotoi, a rare species in Hong Kong waters, associated with a recent massive fish kill. Kwok C.S.N., Wan W.W., Chan K.K.K., Xu S.J.L., Lee F.W.F., Ho K.C. Harmful Algal News. 2016, 53, 4-5.
- Evaluation of indoor air quality in public outpatient clinics of Hong Kong. Yau Y.H., Xu J.L., Zhang Y.Y., Ho K.C. Urban Environment & Urban Ecology. 2014, 27(3): 1-4.
- Toxicity and estrogenic endocrine disrupting activity of phthalates and their mixtures. Chen X., Xu S., Tan T., Lee S.T., Cheng S.H., Lee F.W.F., Xu S.J.L., Ho K.C. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2014, 11(3), 3156-3168.
- Effective growth of dinoflagellate Prorocentrum minimum by cultivating the cells using municipal wastewater as nutrient source. Ho K.C.#, Xu S.J.L.#, Wu K.C., Lee F.W.F., Water Science and Technology. 2013, 68(5), 1100-1106. (#Co-first authors)
- Comparison of Purification Efficiency between Three Kinds of Air Filters. Yau Y.H., Ho K.C., Zhang Y.Y., Xu J.L. Urban Environment & Urban Ecology. 2013, 26(1):1-4.
- Evaluation of Two House Plants for Indoor Air Purification. Yau Y.H., Ho K.C., Xu J.L., Leung K.L., Leung Y.H. Urban Environment & Urban Ecology. 2011, 24(4):1-4.
- Unravelling the pathway of respiratory toxicity in goldlined seabream (Rhabdosargus sarba) induced by the harmful alga Chattonella marina. Shen M., Xu J., Chiang M.W.L., Au D.W.T. Aquatic Toxicology. 2011, 104(3-4), 185-191.
- Susceptibility of fish to Chattonella marina is determined by its tolerance to hypoxia. Shen M., Xu J., Chan A.K.Y., Au D.W.T. Marine Pollution Bulletin. 2011, 63(5-12), 189-194.
- Toxicity comparison between Chattonella marina and Karenia brevis using marine medaka (Oryzias melastigma): Evidence against the suspected ichthyotoxins of Chattonella marina. Shen M., Xu J., Tsang T.Y., Au D.W.T. Chemosphere. 2010, 80(5), 585-591.
- Susceptibility of marine teleost to the ichthyotoxic alga, Chattonella marina, is related to the fish osmoregulatory ability. Xu S.J.L., Shen S.M., Wong C.K.C., Woo N.Y.S., Au D.W.T. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part C: Toxicology & Pharmacology. 2008, 148(4), 470.
- Investigation on the algal species in drinking water manufacturing processes. Xu J., Li A., Duan S. Ecologic Science. 2004, 24(2), 120-123.
- Functions of mangrove wetlands in the conservation of the coastal ecosystems. Duan S.S., Xu J. Ecologic Science. 2004, 23(4), 351-355.
- System dynamics (SD) simulation on the trends of mire water – a case study on mire wetland in Sanjiang Plain. Liu Z.Q., Duan S.S., Li A.F., Xu N., Zhang Z.P., Xu J.L. Geography and Geo-information Science. 2004, 20(1), 54-56.
Modified Date: Nov 15, 2022