Dr Ray Hui, Assistant Professor in Lee Shau Kee School of Business and Administration, obtained his Doctor of Philosophy (Organizational Behavior and Management) from City University of Hong Kong. Prior to joining OUHK, he taught in the Hong Kong Polytechnic University, University of Macau, and Hang Seng Management College. He is an active scholar in both research and teaching. His research interests include leadership, training and coaching, work motivation, and employee adaptation in organizational contexts.
Despite academic teaching, Dr Hui also conducted practical skill workshops for students in both secondary and tertiary institutions and the community, such as job searching technique, emotion management, critical and creative thinking and coaching techniques. In recent years, he also provided consultancy services to local companies, such as Work Efficiency Enhancement Project for Holiday Inn Golden Miles Hotel (IHG Groups).
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Human Resource Management
- Organizational Behavior
- Employee Training, Coaching and Development
- Leadership at Work
Academic & Professional Experience
The Open University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Assistant Professor, Lee Shau Kee School of Business and Administration
Hang Seng University of Hong Kong
Assistant Professor, Department of Management
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Lecturer, College of Professional and Continuing Education
University of Macau
Lecturer (Part-time), Faculty of Business Administration
- Hui, R. T. Y. (2019). TNG's People-oriented technology (以人為本科技為先), In V. P., Lau, T.W.Y., Man., & A., Wong. Ten ways of transforming the management: Change and innovation of Hong Kong corporations (管理求變10 招：香港 企業之變革與創新). Hong Kong: Infolink Publishing Ltd.
- Hui, R. T. Y., Tsui, B., & Pimtong, T. (2020). Disability Employment in the hotel industry: Evidence from the employees’ perspective. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality and Tourism, 19(4).
- Hui, R. T. Y., Sue-Chan, C., & Wood, R. E. (2019). Performing versus adapting: how instructor’s coaching style matters in Hong Kong. International Journal of Human Resource Management. doi: 10.1080/09585192.2019.1569547.
- Liao, Y. E., Lau, P. L. V., Hui, R. T. Y., & Kong, H. K. (2019). A resource-based perspective on work-family conflict: An updated meta-analysis. Career Development International, 24(1), 37-73doi: 10.1108/CDI-12-2017-0236.
- Pimtong, T., Tsui, B., & Hui, R. T. Y. (2018). Outsourcing in-house food operation in a hotel organization in Hong Kong. International Journal of Services, Economics and Management, 9(1), 18-35.
- Hui, R. T. Y., & Sue-Chan, C. (2018). Variations in coaching style and their impact on subordinates’ work outcomes. Journal of Organizational Behavior. 39(5), 663-679. doi: 10.1002/job.2263.
- Hui, R. T. Y., Sue-Chan, C., & Wood, R. E. (2013). The contrasting effects of coaching style on task performance: The mediating roles of subjective task complexity and self-set goal. Human Resource Development Quarterly, 24(4), 429-458.
Selected Professional & Community Services
- Hong Kong Ambassador, Human Resources Division of the Academy of Management (AOM), USA
- Journal Reviewer- International Journal of Human Resource Management; Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management; Human Resource Development Quarterly; SAGE Open
- Executive Committee and Secretary, Education Society Chapter, IEEE Hong Kong Section (2016-2018)
Link to personal homepage
Link to Google Scholar page
Modified Date: Nov 30, 2019