Dr PL Chan received his Bachelor of Science (Hons) degree in Biochemistry and Master of Philosophy degree in Microbiology from the Chinese University of Hong Kong. He then pursued his interests in influenza and immune cell biology research and obtained his doctorate in immunology from the University of Hong Kong. Dr Chan continued his research work at the University of Hong Kong before joining the Open University of Hong Kong in 2015. As a cell biologist, his current research interests are algal cell biology and functional interaction between algae cells and bacteria.
Apart from research, Dr Chan also enjoys teaching and concerns about the moral and value education of students. He has earned the Master of Art in Ethics and Public Affairs with Distinction in the Hong Kong Baptist University.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Antimicrobial activity of the algal extract
- Prevalence of antibiotics resistant bacteria in food
- Cellular and molecular biology of algae
- Interactions between algal cells and bacteria
- Techniques development in algal cell biology research
Academic & Professional Experience
- Member of Royal Society of Biology
- Senate Member (2018 - current)
- Zheng, J., Chan, P.L., Liu, Y.P., Qin, G., Zheng, X., Lam, K.T., Lewi,s D.B., Lau, Y.L. and Tu, W. (Dec 2013). ICOS regulates the generation of functional human CD4+ Treg in a CTLA-4 dependent manner. PLoS One. 8(12):e82203
- Chan. P.L., Zheng, J., Liu, Y., Liu, Y.P., Lam, K.T., Liu, Y., Zheng, X., Lau, Y.L., and Tu, W. (Jul 2013). TLR5 signaling enhances the proliferation of human allogenic CD40-activated B cell induced CD4hiCD25+ regulatory T cells. PLoS One. 8(7):e67969.
- Tu, W., Mao, H., Zheng, J., Liu, Y., Chiu, S.S., Qin, G., Chan, P.L., Lam, K.T., Guan, J., Zhang, L., Guan, Y., Yuen, K.Y., Peiris, J.S., and Lau, Y.L. (Jul 2010). Cytotoxic T lymphocytes established by seasonal human influenza cross-react against pandemic H1N1 influenza virus. J Virol. 84 (13), 6527–6535.
- Zheng, J., Liu, Y., Qin, G., Chan, P.L., Mao, H., Lam, K.T., Lewis, D.B., Lau, Y.L., and Tu, W. (Sep 2009). Efficient induction and expansion of human alloantigen-specific CD8 regulatory T cells from naïve precursors by CD40-activated B cells. J Immunol. 183 (6), 3742–3750.
- Mao, H., Tu, W., Qin, G., Law, H.K., Sia, S.F., Chan, P.L., Liu, Y., Lam, K.T., Zheng, J., Peiris, J., Peiris, M., and Lau, Y.L. (Sep 2009). Influenza virus directly infects human natural killer cells and induces cell apoptosis. J Virol. 83 (18), 9215–9222.
- Tu W., Lau Y.L., Zheng J., Liu Y., Chan P.L., Mao H., Dionis K., Schneider P., and Lewis D.B. (Sep 2008). Efficient generation of human alloantigen-specific CD4+ regulatory T cells from naïve precursors by CD40-activated B cells. Blood. 112 (6),2554–2562.
Link to Google Scholar page
Modified Date: Dec 05, 2019