Dr Lao Kam Ling joins the Open University of Hong Kong (OUHK) as an Assistant Professor in the School of Education and Languages since 2012. She received her B.Ed. and M.Ed. from the University of Liverpool and her Ph.D. from the East China Normal University. Before joining the OUHK, she worked in various positions for the Education Bureau of the Hong Kong SAR Government, including taking up the positions of senior officer in quality assurance and school support. She also participated in the development of mathematics curriculum for primary and secondary schools in Hong Kong as well as the provision of professional development and resources for curriculum implementation to mathematics teachers. She also worked extensively on mathematics education and teacher education. Her teaching experience ranges from primary education to higher education. She was a mathematics teacher in primary and secondary schools, a teaching consultant at the University of Hong Kong, a lecturer and a teaching supervisor for different tertiary institutions on mathematics teacher education in Hong Kong.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Mathematics Education
- Teacher Education
- Early Childhood Education
Academic & Professional Experience
Externally-funded Projects (in descending chronological order)
1/2016 - 12/2017 Teacher knowledge of early childhood teachers in Hong Kong, with a focus on Mathematics in early childhood education, funded by the Research Grants Council
9/2013 - 9/2014 A Curricular Comparison of the Intended Elements of Mathematics in Early Childhood Education, supported by School Research and Development Fund, Open University of Hong Kong
Conference Papers (in descending chronological order)
"Technology-related teacher knowledge for early mathematics education: What are they in the eyes of practitioners? How to measure?" at the 28th Annual Conference of the Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education (SITE-2018) in USA on 27 -30 March 2018
"Are Our Early Childhood Teachers Ready for Early Mathematics Education?" at the 16th Annual Hawaii International Conference on Education, Hawaii, US on 4-7 January 2018
Selected Professional & Community Services
- 2019 : External reviewer on proposal for Teaching Development Grant (TDG) of the Education University of Hong Kong.
- 2018 - 2019 : Co-chairperson for the Hong Kong Mathematics Education Conference 2019 (HKMEC 2019), an event of OUHK 30th Anniversary, co-organized by the Hong Kong Association for Mathematics Education and Open University of Hong Kong on 21 June 2019.
- 2017 - 2020 : External reviewer of the Higher Diploma in Early Childhood Education program offered by the Lingnan Institute of Further Education, Lingnan University, Hong Kong.
- 2016 : External reviewer of Higher Diploma in Early Childhood Education offered by the Lingnan Institute of Further Education
- 2016 : Guest speaker, Mathematics World Lecture Series organized by the Education Bureau and the International Mathematical Olympaid Hong Kong Committee