Dr. Chen has 10-year experience in building science, renewable application, statistical analysis and design optimization, and has been involved in multiple funding applications including NSFC, ITF, RIF and consultancy projects with the local government and industry. He published more than 20 papers in peer-reviewed international journals and coauthored a book in green building and renewable application areas. He has also participated in more than 30 green building projects as a certified BEAM Professional and conducted massive investigation into green building rating tools over the world. In addition, he was granted the Fulbright-RGC Hong Kong Research Scholar Award 2016/2017 and worked as a visiting scholar to the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in U.S on thermal recovery system design and building envelope optimization for commercial buildings. He also acted as the chief secretary for co-organizing the 10th International Conference on Applied Energy (ICAE 2018) and has been invited as a guest editor of Special Issue in Energy Procedia and Applied Energy.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Management Systems and Audit for Energy and Environment
- Green building and passive design
- Renewable application in buildings
- Built environment modelling
- Yang, H., Jiang, X., Wang, Y., & Chen X. Green Building Development and Application of Renewable Energy, Chapter 1. China Railway Publishing House, China Railway Publishing House, ISBN 978-7-113-21689-4. (In Chinese)
- Yang, H., Jiang, X., Wang, Y., & Chen X. Green Building Development and Application of Renewable Energy, Chapter 11. China Railway Publishing House, China Railway Publishing House, ISBN 978-7-113-21689-4. (In Chinese)
- Liu J, Chen X, Yang H, Shan K. Hybrid renewable energy applications in zero-energy buildings and communities integrating battery and hydrogen vehicle storage. Applied Energy. 2021;290:116733.
- Ansah MK, Chen X, Yang H, Lu L, Li H. Developing a tier-hybrid uncertainty analysis approach for lifecycle impact assessment of a typical high-rise residential building. Resources, Conservation and Recycling. 2021;167:105424.
- Huang J, Chen X*, Peng J, Yang H. Modelling analyses of the thermal property and heat transfer performance of a novel compositive PV vacuum glazing. Renewable Energy. 2021;163:1238-52.
- Liu J, Wang M, Peng J, Chen X*, Cao S, Yang H. Techno-economic design optimization of hybrid renewable energy applications for high-rise residential buildings. Energy Conversion and Management. 2020;213:112868.
- Huang J, Chen X, Yang H. A Multi-criterion Optimization for Passive Building Integrated with Vacuum Photovoltaic Insulated Glass Unit. Proceedings of the 11th International Symposium on Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (ISHVAC 2019). Singapore: Springer Singapore; 2020. p. 857-63.
- Chen X*, Huang J, Yang H. Multi-criterion optimization of integrated photovoltaic facade with inter-building effects in diverse neighborhood densities. Journal of Cleaner Production. 2020;248:119269.
- Ansah MK, Chen X*, Yang H, Lu L, Lam PTI. An integrated life cycle assessment of different façade systems for a typical residential building in Ghana. Sustainable Cities and Society. 2020;53:101974.
- Liu J, Chen X*, Yang H, Li Y. Energy storage and management system design optimization for a photovoltaic integrated low-energy building. Energy. 2019:116424.
- Liu J, Chen X*, Cao S, Yang H*. Overview on hybrid solar photovoltaic-electrical energy storage technologies for power supply to buildings. Energy Conversion and Management. 2019;187:103-21.
- Chen X*, Huang J, Yang H, Peng J. Approaching low-energy high-rise building by integrating passive architectural design with photovoltaic application. Journal of Cleaner Production. 2019;220:313-30.
- Chen X*, Yang H, Peng J. Energy optimization of high-rise commercial buildings integrated with photovoltaic facades in urban context. Energy. 2019;172:1-17.
- Huang J, Chen X*, Yang H, Zhang W. Numerical investigation of a novel vacuum photovoltaic curtain wall and integrated optimization of photovoltaic envelope systems. Applied Energy. 2018;229:1048-60.
- Chen X*, Yang H, Zhang W. Simulation-based approach to optimize passively designed buildings: A case study on a typical architectural form in hot and humid climates. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2018;82:1712-25.
- Chen X*, Yang H. Integrated energy performance optimization of a passively designed high-rise residential building in different climatic zones of China. Applied Energy. 2018;215:145-58.
- Chen X*, Yang H, Wang Y. Parametric study of passive design strategies for high-rise residential buildings in hot and humid climates: miscellaneous impact factors. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2017;69:442-60.
- Chen X*, Yang H, Wang T. Developing a robust assessment system for the passive design approach in the green building rating scheme of Hong Kong. Journal of Cleaner Production. 2017;153:176-94.
- Chen X*, Yang H, Sun K. Developing a meta-model for sensitivity analyses and prediction of building performance for passively designed high-rise residential buildings. Applied Energy. 2017;194:422-39.
- Chen X*, Yang H. A multi-stage optimization of passively designed high-rise residential buildings in multiple building operation scenarios. Applied Energy. 2017;206:541-57.
- Chen X*, Yang H, Sun K. A holistic passive design approach to optimize indoor environmental quality of a typical residential building in Hong Kong. Energy. 2016;113:267-81.
- Chen X*, Yang H, Zhang W. A comprehensive sensitivity study of major passive design parameters for the public rental housing development in Hong Kong. Energy. 2015;93:1804-18.
- Chen X*, Yang H, Lu L. A comprehensive review on passive design approaches in green building rating tools. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2015;50:1425-36.
- Chen X*, Yang H. Combined thermal and daylight analysis of a typical public rental housing development to fulfil green building guidance in Hong Kong. Energy and Buildings. 2015;108:420-32.
- Chen X*, Yang H. Performance analysis of a proposed solar assisted ground coupled heat pump system. Applied Energy. 2012;97:888-96.
- Xi C*, Lin L, Hongxing Y. Long term operation of a solar assisted ground coupled heat pump system for space heating and domestic hot water. Energy and Buildings. 2011;43:1835-44.
- Xi C*, Hongxing Y, Lin L, Jinggang W, Wei L. Experimental studies on a ground coupled heat pump with solar thermal collectors for space heating. Energy. 2011;36:5292-300.
- Yu Y, Long E, Chen X, Yang H. Testing and modelling an unglazed photovoltaic thermal collector for application in Sichuan Basin. Applied Energy. 2019;242:931-41.
Selected Professional & Community Services
- Session Chairs: The 10th International Conference on Applied Energy
- Guest Editor: Applied Energy
- Outstanding Reviewers: Applied Energy, Energy, Journal of Cleaner Production
- Topic Editor: Energies
Modified Date: Sep 01, 2021