Dr Kelly Kar Yue CHAN completed her undergraduate degree (First class honours) and her master’s degree (Distinction) both in the discipline of Translation and Interpretation at the City University of Hong Kong. She then finished her PhD in Classical Chinese Literature at the University of Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom. She has been teaching translation (in various fields including literary, business, media and technical translations) and subjects concerning Chinese and Western cultural studies. Currently the Associate Dean cum Associate Professor in language and translation of the School of Arts and Social Sciences at the Open University of Hong Kong, she teaches undergraduate and postgraduate courses on culture and translation, and literary translation. She is also the Programme Leader of Master of Arts in Applied Translation (MAAT), Coordinator of Postgraduate Programmes in A&SS, and Director the IDS (Institutional Development Scheme) project "Chinese Culture in the Global Context". Besides, she is responsible for supervising translation and research projects for undergraduate and postgraduate students. Her research interests include literary translation, women’s studies in classical Chinese society,classical Chinese literature (poetry), and translation of Cantonese Opera.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Literary Translation
- Poetry in the Tang, Song, Ming and Qing Dynasties and Their Translations
- Poetry by Women in Imperial China
- Translation of Cantonese Opera
Academic & Professional Experience
潘耀明、崔頌明編《圖說薛覺先藝術人生》(Sit Kok-sin’s Artistic Life: Pictorial Collection)。陳家愉譯。廣州 / 香港：廣州八和會館 / 大山文化出版社，2013。
Chan, K. Y., trans. “Beyond the Waters: Impressions on the Oil Painting Series ‘Zhou Zhuang’ by Wen Shihong.” In Oil Painting Collection of Wen Shihong. Wong Jianfu ed. Hong Kong: Wong’s Art Ltd, 2004.
Chan, K. Y., trans. “Bian Zhilin: ‘Translation and Its Positive/Negative Impact on Modern Chinese Poetry’ (1987).” In Leo Tak-hung Chan ed. Twentieth-Century Chinese Translation Theory: Modes, Issues and Debates. Amsterdam Philadelphia: John Benjamins, pp.211-213, 2004.
- Şerban, Adriana, and Kelly Kar-yue Chan, eds., Opera and Translation. Amsterdam and Philadelphia: John Benjamins, 2019. [in press]
- Chan, Kar Yue. Ambivalence in Poetry: Zhu Shuzhen, a Classical Chinese Poetess. Saarbrücken: Scholars’ Press, 2013, print.
- Tam, Kwok-kan, and Kelly Kar-yue Chan, eds. Culture in Translation: Reception of Chinese Literature in Comparative Perspective. Hong Kong: OUHK Press, 2012, print.
- Chan, Kelly K. Y., “The Cultural Transformation of Classical Chinese Poetry in Translation into English.” In Malmkjær, Kirsten, Adriana Şerban, and Fransiska Louwagie, eds., Key Cultural Texts in Translation. Amsterdam and Philadelphia: John Benjamins, 2018, pp.171-184, print/web.
- Chan, K.Y., “Cross-disciplinary Application of Literary Translation from Chinese into English: Coloured Gender and Literature.” In Translation Studies and Translation Practice: Proceedings of the 2nd International TRANSLATA Conference. Eds. Zybatow, Lew N., Andy Stauder, and Michael Ustaszewski. Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang, pp.131-137, 2017, print.
- Chan, Kelly K. Y., “Figuratively Allusive: The Aesthetic Meaning of Literary Translation from Chinese into English.” In Lewandowska-Tomaszczyk, Barbara, and Łukasz Bogucki eds., Translation and Meaning (New Series, Vol. 2, Pt. 1). Frankfurt: Peter Lang, 2016, pp.209-219, print.
- Chan, K.Y., “Masculine Fantasies and Feminine Representations in the English Translations of Pre-modern Chinese Poetry in Journals.” In Sun, Yifeng, ed., Translation and Academic Journals: The Evolving Landscape of Scholarly Publishing. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2015, pp.165-178, print.
- Chan, K.Y., “Sound of Music: Aesthetics of Chinese Poetics in English Translation.” First International Conference on Linguistics and Language Studies 2015, Hong Kong, Eds. Kam Cheong Li et.al. Hong Kong: Chartered Institute of Linguistics Society, 2015, pp.125-132, print.
- Chan, Kelly K.Y., “Between Borrowing and Retention: The Translation of Zhu Shuzhen’s Poems.” In Tam, Kwok-kan, and Kelly Kar-yue Chan, eds., Culture in Translation: Reception of Chinese Literature in Comparative Perspective. Hong Kong: OUHK Press, 2012, pp.138-150, print.
- Chan, K.Y., “The Problem of Distorting Creative Imagination by Rhyming in Classical Chinese Poetry Translations.” FIT Sixth Asian Translators’ Forum: Translation and Intercultural Communication: Past, Present and Future. Macau: University of Macau, Federation of Translators and Interpreters of Macau, 2010, pp. 433-442, print.
- Chan, K.Y., “Teaching Poetry Translation to Undergraduate Students in Hong Kong.” In Witte, Arnd, Theo Harden and Alessandra Ramos de Oliveira Harden eds., Translation in Second Language Learning and Teaching. Oxford: Peter Lang, 2009, pp.247-260, print.
- Chan, K.Y., “Translating Literary Resonance in Bai Xianyong’s Zhexianji [A Legend of the Banished Celestial].” In Che Omar, Hasuria, Haslina Haroon and Aniswal Abd. Ghani eds., The Sustainability of the Translation Field. Kuala Lumpur: Malaysian Translators Association, 2009, pp. 370-377, print.
- Chan, Kelly K.Y., “Chinese Translation Traditions of Poetry in Western Contexts.” International Colloquium of Translation: Translation in All Its Aspects with Focus on International Dialogue. Istanbul: Dinç Ofset Matbaacilik San Ltd., 2009, pp. 150-153, print.
- Chan, K.Y., “Cross-dressing and Gendered Voice Representation in Cantonese Opera”. In Comparative Literature: East & West. Routledge, 2019, web.
- Chan, K.Y. “Sexuality and Gender Variations in Traditional Chinese Folk Literature.” In The Journal of Interpretation and Translation Education, vol. 16: 2 (2018), pp. 209-228.
- Chan, K.Y., “Chinese Femininity vs Otherness: The Self Gendered Voice in the Translation of Female Poetry”. In The Journal of Interpretation and Translation Education, vol. 15: 2 (2017), pp.237-256, print/web.
- Chan, K.Y., “The Subtitled Translation into English of the Poetry in Chinese Opera-films”. In Comparative Literature: East & West. Chengdu: Sichuan University Press, vol. 25:2 (Autumn/Winter 2016), pp. 34-50, print/web.
- Chan, K.Y., “Explicitness and Implicitness: Translating Zhu Shuzhen: a Pre-modern Chinese Poetess.” In Textus: English Studies in Italy, vol. XXVI (2013), no. 3 (September - December), pp. 131-144, print.
- Chan, K.Y., “Rhyming for Image Revival – a Controversial Issue: Revisiting Classical Chinese Poetry Translation.” In Translation Quarterly, TQ65: September 2012, pp.1-17, print/web.
Selected Professional & Community Services
- Reviewer of the Journal of Intercultural Communication Studies, 2016
- Panel Member and Subject Specialist for HKCAAVQ (2014-present)
- Programme committee member of the International Conference on Linguistics and Language Studies (ICLLS), 2016, 2017
- Committee member of the Research Institute for Digital Culture and Humanities (RIDCH)
- External examiner – MPhil Thesis (Lingnan University, Hong Kong), 2015, 2017
- Reviewer of the First International Conference on Linguistics and Language Studies (ICLLS), 2015
- Chinese to English Translation Workshop for Official Languages Officers, Official Languages Division, Civil Service Bureau, Hong Kong SAR Government, 2011, 2012, 2017
- External examiner – English Language and Putonghua Subjects (Caritas Institution of Higher Education) (2011-present)
- External examiner – Certificate in Language and Translation, Advanced Certificate in Translation Studies, and Diploma in Translation Studies (SPACE, The University of Hong Kong) (2008-2011)
- Adviser – Language Unit (Caritas Institute of Higher Education) (2006-2017)
Modified Date: Jul 05, 2019