Professor Chan received his BBA (First Class Honour) in Marketing from The Chinese University of Hong Kong, MBA from University of British Columbia, Canada, and PhD from University of Strathclyde, U.K. He is also elected fellow of Hong Kong Institute of Marketing (FHKIM) and the U.K. Chartered Institute of Marketing (FCIM).
Professor Chan began his academic career in 1984 as the first Lecturer in Marketing at the newly established City Polytechnic of Hong Kong, after working in the banking sector for a few years. He then joined the School of Business, Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU), in 1988. He was promoted to full professorship in 1997. Over the years at HKBU, he has served in the Business School as Head of Department of Marketing, Director of MBA/MScBM/DBA Programmes, and Associate Dean (since 1999). He serves as Interim Dean of Business School (2013-2015), Director of the Institute for Enterprise Development, Director of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Centre, and Director of Chinese Businesses Case Centre. He has been the driving force for the School’s achievements of “triple” international accreditations, including AACSB (2010), AMBA (2012) and EQUIS (2013). He also led the School's MBA and DBA programmes to develop classes in China, and established strong alumni networks. During his interim deanship, the School has developed its new strategic plan for the next triennium, and identified the emphasis of entrepreneurship and experiential learning to further enhance its strategic theme in Corporate Sustainability. He was recipient of the President’s Award for Outstanding Performance in Service (2002).
In addition to his works at the Business School, Professor Chan also served HKBU concurrently at the University level during various time periods. He has been the Executive Associate Dean of the Graduate School, and Associate Vice-President of the University. Being an Associate Vice-President, Professor Chan was mainly involved in the University’s overall academic planning and quality assurance matters.
Professor Chan’s research interests include the study of Chinese brand naming from a linguistic perspective, business ethics, and case research. He has co-authored/edited books in China marketing, small business management, and business cases. He also published academic articles in such journals as Harvard Business Review, International Marketing Review, Industrial Marketing Management, Management International Review, Journal of Global Marketing, International Journal of Advertising, Journal of Product and Brand Management, International Journal of Hospitality Management, Journal of Business Ethics, amongst others. He has guest edited four special issues of Journal of Business Ethics, served as Area Editor of International Journal of Emerging Markets, and is currently the Editor-in-Chief of Asian Journal of Business Ethics. Professor Chan was included in the “Top 100 Research-Active Marketing Scholars in Asia during 2011-2016”.
Professor Chan is the Honorary Advisor of the Hong Kong Institute of Marketing, and Executive Council member of the China Marketing Association for Colleges and Universities. He serves as External Examiner or programme accreditation panel chair/member for many MBA and postgraduate Marketing programmes, including EMBA and MSc Marketing (CUHK), MSc Marketing (CityU), and MSc Marketing Management (PolyU). He has been conferred Distinguished Professorship (Overseas) of Zhejiang Gongshang University (Hangzhou); Adjunct Professorship of The Hang Seng University of Hong Kong and Macau University of Science and Technology; Concurrent/Visiting Professorships of the East China University of Technology (Shanghai), Dalian University of Technology (Dalian), Harbin University of Technology (Harbin) and Shantou University (Shantou) in China;
Professor Chan serves as a Member of the Kent Business School Advisory Board (University of Kent, UK) (since 2017); and Panel Member of the University Development Advisory Committee (校務發展諮詢委員會委員) for National Taipei University of Business (國立台北商業大學) (since 2014). He has been an Auditor to the Quality Assurance Council’s (QAC) Audit Panels of the Second Audit Cycle for the UGC; and a Panel Member (Business Studies) of the Assessment Panel for Competitive Research Funding Schemes for the Local Self-financing Degree Sector, Research Grants Council (of UGC) (2018 – 22); and also an appointed panel member of the AMBA (Association of MBAs, UK) for AMBA’s accreditation exercises of various business schools in China and the Asia Pacific.
Professor Chan was a Rajawali Foundation Institute for Asia Visiting Fellow at the Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, in Fall 2015.
Professor Chan retired in 2017 after 30 years of service at HKBU, and was conferred Emeritus Professorship upon his retirement. He subsequently joined The Open University of Hong Kong as Professor (half-time) and Head of Office of Business Development, Lee Shau Kee School of Business and Administration.
 Chung, J. (2017), “Marketing Research Trends and the Top 100 Research-Active Scholars in Asia during 2011~2016: Editor’s Research Note”, Asia Marketing Journal, Vol. 18, No. 04, January 2017 (1-26).
- 李金强、陳潔光、楊昱昇 (2009)，《福源潮汕澤香江：基督教潮人生命堂百年史述1909-2009》，香港：商務印書館，2009，共367頁。
- 成思危(主編)，陳潔光、李新春、陳鎮雄(副主編) (2003)，《當代中國工商管理案例研究》第二輯，北京：中國人民大學出版社、民主與建設出版社，2003，共289頁。
- 成思危(主編)，陳潔光、蕭偉森(副主編) (2003)，《當代中國工商管理案例研究》第三輯，北京：中國人民大學出版社、民主與建設出版社，2003，共184頁。
- 陳潔光、沙振權 (編) (1998)，《中國連鎖經營的理論與實踐》，華南理工大學出版社，1998，共276頁。
- 卜妙金、陳潔光 (1996)，《中國市場營銷：環境與策略》，香港: 商務印書館，1996，共296頁。
- 卜妙金、陳潔光 (1993)，《中國市場營銷》，香港: 商務印書館，1993，共283頁。
- 鄧東濱、陳潔光 (1979)，《小型企業管理》，台灣：聯經出版事業公司，1979，共215頁。
- A.K.K. Chan and Y.Y. Huang (2004), Research Collection on Chinese Brand Naming, Hong Kong Baptist University, 92pp. (Monograph)
- M.W.Y. Lee, A.K.K. Chan and G. Prendergast (2019): When Marketing Dare Not Speak Its Name: Understanding Market Orientation in Chinese NGOs, Journal of Nonprofit and Public Sector Marketing. (published online, March 21, 2019).
- A.K.K. Chan, C.H. Chen and L. Zhao (2018), “JD.com: Leveraging the Edge of eBusiness”, Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies. Vol.8, Iss.2 (August 2018).
- C.H. Chen and A.K.K. Chan (2018), “From Asia to Africa: The International Expansion of Hon Chuan Enterprise”, Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies. Vol.8, Iss. 1 (February 2018).
- A.K.K. Chan and S.Y.L. Cheung (2015), “Special Issue on Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability: An Introduction” (Editorial Notes), Journal of Business Ethics (Special Issue on 4th WBEF Conference on Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability), Vol. 130, Issue 4, September 2015, pp. 753-754.
- Marc Fetscherin, Ilan Alon, Romie Littrell, A.K.K. Chan (2012), “In China? Pick Your Brand Name Carefully”, Harvard Business Review, September 2012, pp. 708.
- Henry Fock, A.K.K. Chan and Dengfeng Yan (2011), “Member-Organization Connection Impacts in Affinity Marketing”, Journal of Business Research, Vol. 64, Issue 7, July 2011, pp. 672-679.
- Guicheng Shi, Y.Z. Shi, A.K.K. Chan, Matthew T. Liu, K.S. Fam (2011), “The Role of Renqing in Mediating Customer Relationship Investment and Relationship Commitment in China”, Industrial Marketing Management, Vol. 40, Issue 4, May 2011, pp. 496-502.
- W.S. Chow, J.P. Wu and A.K.K. Chan (2009), “Effects of Environmental Factors on the Behavior of Chinese Managers in the Information Age”, Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 89, No.4, November, pp. 629-639.
- M.F.Y. Cheung, W. Wu, A.K.K. Chan and M.M.L. Wong (2009), “Subordinate-Superior Guanxi and Employee Work Outcomes: The Mediating Role of Job Satisfaction”, Journal of Business Ethics (Special Issue on “Business Ethics in Greater China), Vol. 88, 77-89
- Y.Y. Huang and A.K.K. Chan (2005), “The Role of language and Culture in Marketing Communication: A Study of Chinese Brand Names”, Journal of Asian Pacific Communication, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 257-285.
- C.L. Wang, X. Lin, A.K.K. Chan and Y.Z. Shi (2005), “Conflict Handling Styles in International Joint Ventures: A Cross-cultural and Cross-national Comparison”, Management International Review, Vol. 45, 2005/1, pp. 3-21.
- 黄月園、陳潔光、衛志強 (2003)，”漢語品名的語言特性”，《語言文字應用》，中國，第3期，八月，頁81-89。
- A.K.K. Chan, L. Denton and A.S.L. Tsang (2003), “The Art of Gift Giving in China”, Business Horizons, Vol. 46, No. 4, July-August, pp. 47-52.
- A.K.K. Chan and Y.Y. Huang (2001), “Chinese Brand Naming Principles: The Case of Drinks”, Marketing Intelligence and Planning, Vol. 19, No. 5, pp. 309-318.
- C.C.L. Wang and A.K.K. Chan (2001), “A Content Analysis of Connectedness vs. Separateness Themes Used in US and PRC Print Advertisements”, International Marketing Review, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 145-160.
- A.K.K. Chan and Y.Y. Huang (2001), “Chinese Brand Naming: A Linguistic Analysis of the Names of Ten Product Categories”, Journal of Product and Brand Management, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 103-119.
- R.W. Armstrong, F.M. Go, C. Mok and A.K.K. Chan (1997), “The Importance of Cross-Cultural Expectations in the Measurement of Service Quality Perceptions in the Hotel Industry”, International Journal of Hospitality Management, Vol. 16, No. 2, 1997, pp. 181-190.
- A.K.K. Chan (1997), “Localization in International Branding: A Longitudinal Comparison of the Chinese Names of Foreign Brands in Hong Kong Between 1987-1988 and 1994-1995”, Journal of Marketing Communications, Vol. 3, No. 2, June 1997, pp. 127-137.
- A.K.K. Chan (1990), “Localization in International Branding: A Preliminary Investigation on Chinese Names of Foreign Brands in Hong Kong”, International Journal of Advertising, Vol. 9, No. 1, 1990, pp. 81-91.
Selected Professional & Community Services
- Panel Member (Business Studies), Assessment Panel for Competitive Research Funding Schemes for the Local Self-financing Degree Sector, Research Grants Council, University Grants Committee (UGC), HKSAR Government (2018 – 22)
- Auditor to the Quality Assurance Council’s (QAC) Audit Panels of the Second Audit Cycle, (大學教育資助委員會第二輪質素核證評審員), University Grants Committee (UGC) , HKSAR Government (2014 - 17)
- Honorary Advisor, Hong Kong Institute of Marketing (since 1994)
- Member, Kent Business School Advisory Board, University of Kent, UK (2017 - Present)
- Member, Advisory Committee on Enhancing Self-Reliance Through District Partnership Programme (ESR) (「伙伴倡自強」社區協作計劃諮詢委員會委員), HKSAR Government (2013 - 14)
- Distinguished Professor (Overseas), Zhejiang Gongshang University (浙江工商大学海外特聘教授) (2019 - Present)
- Editor-in-Chief, Asian Journal of Business Ethics (2016 - Present)
View a full profile
Modified Date: Sep 01, 2020