Dr. Kevin Hung is Assistant Professor and Programme Leader of Electronic and Computer Engineering at the School of Science and Technology, The Open University of Hong Kong (OUHK). He has been the principal investigator of school and government-funded projects on telehealth, mobile health, and exergaming system. Before joining OUHK, Dr. Hung had been Assistant Project Manager at the Joint Research Centre for Biomedical Engineering at The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) and Electronic Engineer at a medical device company. Dr. Hung received his B.Sc. from Queen’s University, and his M.Phil. and Ph.D. from CUHK. His research interests are biosignal processing, biosystem modelling, mobile health and wearable sensors. He is a founding officer of the IEEE-EMBS Hong Kong Chapter, and has been serving as the founding Counsellor of the IEEE OUHK Student Branch.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Biomedical Engineering
- Mobile Health & Telehealth
- Biosignal Processing & Biosystem Simulation
- Engineering Education
- Medical Device
- Biomedical Informatics
Academic & Professional Experience
- PI, OUHK R&D Fund, “Investigation of Pupillary Dynamics using a Head-Mounted System,” HK$80,000 (2019 - 2020)
- PI, RGC FDS project, “Development of an Exergaming System with Haptic Feedback for the Investigation of Energy Expenditure and Muscle Activities during Sports Training,” HK$663,519 (2016 - 2018)
- PI, OUHK School of Science & Technology Research Fund, “Feasibility Study of Using Wireless Tablet Computers for On-site Inspection and Certification of Commodities,” HK$13,266 (2012)
- PI, OUHK R&D Fund, “Development of a Novel Biosensor-Integrated Shirt for Mobile Health,” HK$385,212 (2010 - 2012)
- Electronic Engineer, PiKo Healthcare Products (HK) Ltd, R&D and IP management of new respiratory medical devices (2004 - 2007)
- Assistant Project Manager, Joint Research Centre for Biomedical Engineering, CUHK; managed 2 ITF projects, collaborated with medical device companies, hospitals and elderly homes for medical product development (2002 - 2004)
- Technical Consultant, Design and Deployment of an In-Bed Patient Monitoring System for Geriatric Wards, Shatin Hospital (1999 - 2000)
- Best Paper Award: “Eye-based Mobile Health System: more than meets the eye,” IEEE International Workshop on System Biology & Biomedical Systems 2018, Hong Kong.
- Best Paper Award: “Design and Development of a low-cost Intelligent Pillbox,” System Session, IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics – China 2015, Shenzhen, China.
- Beat Paper Award: “Pupillary Dynamic Monitoring for Mobile Health,” (Session: Health and Sustainable Technologies for Next Generation Home and Building Automation) at 39th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, Vienna, 2013.
- Outstanding Paper Award (2007): “Implementation of a WAP-based telemedicine system for patient-monitoring,” IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine for paper with the most citations in previous five years.
President’s Awards for Teaching Excellence (2015): For recognition of academic staff of University who have demonstrated an outstanding level of teaching.
Supervised award-winning student projects:
- 10/2018: Merit, “Development of Image Feature Extraction and Pattern Rendering Techniques for a Chocolate Printer,” in HKEIA Innovation & Technology Project Competition Award.
- 05/2018: Merit, “Design and Development of a Facial Recognition Algorithm for Access Control,” in Inter-Institutional Competition on Facility Management Project Presentation 2018, IFMA Hong Kong Chapter
- 10/2017: Merit, “Design and Development of a Haptic Orthosis for Upper Limb,” in HKEIA Innovation & Technology Project Competition Award.
- 06/2014: 2nd Prize and Best Practicality Award, “Development of a Detection Algorithm for Wrist-Worn Fall Detector,” IEEE Macau Project Competition.
- K.Y. Angus Wong, K.F. Kevin Hung, K.L. Eddie Law, Eds., Smart Cities, Smart System and Smart Environment Awareness, Environmental Publication House Hong Kong. Hong Kong, 2017.
- C.C.Y. Poon and K. Hung, “Mobile Health (m-Health): Intelligent Closed-Loop Solutions for Personalised Healthcare,” in The Handbook of Electronic Medicine, Electronic Health, Telemedicine, Telehealth and Mobile Health, CRC Press, December 2015.
- K. Hung, C.C. Lee, and S.-O. Choy, “Ubiquitous Health Monitoring: Integration of Wearable Sensors, Novel Sensing Techniques, and Body Sensor Networks,” in Mobile Health (mHealth): The Technology Road Map, Springer, March 2015.
- K. Hung, S.D. Bao and Y.T. Zhang, “Mobile Health,” in Encyclopedia of Wireless & Mobile Communications, Taylor & Francis, 2008.
- K. Hung and Y.T. Zhang, “Telemedicine,” in Wiley Encyclopaedia of Biomedical Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, 2006.
- K. Hung and Y.T. Zhang, “Wireless Internet in Telemedicine,” in Wireless Internet Handbook: Technologies, Standards & Applications, CRC Press, 2003.
- X. Li, D. Luo, Y. Cheng, K.-Y. Wong, and K. Hung, ”A Perception-driven Framework for Predicting Missing Odor Perceptual Ratings and an Exploration of Odor Perceptual Space,” IEEE Access, vol. 8, Iss. 1, pp. 29595-29607, December 2020.
- D. Wu, Y. Cheng, D. Luo, K.-Y. Wong, K. Hung, and Z. Yan, “POP-CNN: Predicting Odor Pleasantness with Convolutional Neural Network,” IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 19, Iss. 23, pp. 11337-11345, December 2019.
- Y. Cheng, A. Wong, K. Hung, Z. Li, and W. Li, “Deep Nearest Class Mean Model for Incremental Odor Classification,” IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 68, Iss. 4, pp. 952-962, April 2019.
- A. Wong, K.P. Pun, Y.T. Zhang and K. Hung, “A near-infrared heart rate measurement IC with very low cutoff frequency using current steering technique,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits & Systems: Part-I, vol. 52, no. 12, pp. 2642-2647, December 2005.
- K. Hung and Y.T. Zhang, “Implementation of a WAP-based telemedicine system for patient-monitoring,” in IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 7, no.2, 2003.
- Y.T. Zhang, L. Li, K. Hung, and J. Woo, "Telemedicine and Cyberhospital for Health Care Delivery in the 21st Century," Journal of World Medical Instrumentation, 2000.
Selected Professional & Community Services
- Founding Secretary (2006), Chair (2010), Committee (present), IEEE Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society (EMBS) Hong Kong - Macau Joint Chapter
- Vice-chair, Electronics & Communications Section (ECS), IET Hong Kong
- Honorary Secretary, CIE Hong Kong
- Counselor, IEEE OUHK Student Branch
Modified Date: May 11, 2020