Dr. Li Kam Cheong 李錦昌博士
PhD HKU, MA CityU, MA PolyU, MA Surrey, MA London, LLB Peking
DipEd London, AdDipTrans HKTS, FDip CIOL, DipTrans CIOL, FCOPA, FIHRM(HK), FCIL, CL
Director of Research Office
Dr K C Li is the Director of Research, overseeing research activities and promoting institutional research, at the University. He also leads research in innovative learning, teaching and educational administration at the University’s Institute for Research in Open and Innovative Education. He has also been appointed as (Honorary) Visiting Professor of Middlesex University in the United Kingdom and a number of institutions in China, such as Hebei Academy of Social Sciences and Hebei University of Economics and Business.
Dr Li has published over 160 refereed journal articles/book chapters/conference papers and 8 monographs/textbooks, co-edited 12 books, and served as the editor for the Asian Association of Open Universities Journal and one of the editors for the “Innovation and Technology in Education” Section of SN Computing Science, guest editor of special issues for five renowned journals, as well as editorial board member for two distinguished journals. Being keenly interested in research in innovative and open education, Dr Li has successfully obtained funding for a large number of research and development projects in related research areas.
For over 25 years, Dr Li has devoted to open education and related development, for which he has played a broad variety of roles, including strand/department head, course developer, course development coordinator, postgraduate and undergraduate programme leader, course coordinator, and supervisor for doctoral students. He has headed teaching teams in the disciplines of business, education and language studies. In 2016, he founded the University’s Institute for Research in Open and Innovative Education.
For the Asian Association of Open Universities which has over 60 member institutions, Dr Li also served as the Secretary-General for three years from 2014, actively promoting professional development and facilitating professional exchanges in open and distance education for the institutional members of the Association.
Being active in the academic and professional communities, Dr Li has engaged in a broad variety of community services. He is currently the President of Hong Kong Society of the Chartered Institute of Linguists, advisor for the Programme Endorsement Sub-Committee of the Hong Kong Institute of Human Resource Management. In the past, he contributed as an advisor in a broad range of study and training programmes and as a key member in committees of various professional bodies, for example, he was the founding Chairman of the Council of Hong Kong Professional Associations.
Closely connected to the local school sector, Dr Li has been for two decades a Supervisor and Manager for many secondary and primary schools of a major sponsoring body in Hong Kong.
Dr Li has obtained three bachelor’s degrees, four master’s degrees and a PhD from renowned institutions, including the University of Hong Kong, Peking University and the University of London. He has also been awarded many professional qualifications such as Diploma in Education, Advanced Diploma in Translation, as well as Chartered Linguist and Fellowship of the Chartered Institute of Linguists.
Dr Li has organized many international conferences in areas of open, online and innovative education and technology-mediated education, including the signature annual event: International Conference on Open and Innovative Education. He is also popular at local and overseas conferences and professional events as keynote and plenary speakers.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Open and flexible education
- Open educational resources
- Technology in education
- Academic analytics
- Mobile learning
- Blended learning
- Language genre analysis
- Curriculum design
Academic & Professional Experience
Visiting Professor and advisor (honorary appointments), Doctorate in Professional Studies Programme, Department of Education, Middlesex University, UK
November 2012 – present
Visiting Professor (honorary appointment), Hebei University of Economics and Business, China
appointed in 2017
Visiting Professor (honorary appointment), Hebei Academy of Social Sciences, China
appointed in 2012
Visiting Professor (honorary appointment), Kaifeng University, China
appointed in 2007
Visiting Professor (honorary appointment), Hefei University, China
appointed in 2007
Chair Professor (honorary appointment), Handan College, China
appointed in 2006
President, Chartered Institute of Linguists Hong Kong Society
2010 – present,
2002 – 2010, Chair
2000 – 2002, Vice-Chair
1999 – 2000, Executive Committee Member
Editor, Asian Association of Open Universities Journal
2014 – present
Editor: “Innovation and Technology in Education” Section of SN Computing Science
2020 – present
Editorial Board Member: Higher Education Quarterly
2017 – present
Editorial Board Member: Interactive Technology and Smart Education
2017 – present
Subject Specialist, Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications
2007 – 2014; 2016 – present
- Li, K.C., & Wong, B.T.M. (2020). Social media in higher education: A review of their uses, benefits and limitations. In Lee et al. (Eds.), Technology in education: Innovations for online teaching and learning. Springer, pp. 248–257.
- Li, K.C., Wong, B.T.M., & Wong, B.Y.Y. (2020). Enhancing teaching of an educational institution via building up its research capacity. In K.C. Li, E.Y.M. Tsang, & B.T.M. Wong (Eds.), Innovating education in technology-supported environments, Springer, pp. 333–343.
- Wong, B.T.M., & Li, K.C. (2020). Meeting diverse student needs for support services: A comparison between face-to-face and distance-learning students. In K.C. Li, E.Y.M. Tsang, & B.T.M. Wong (Eds.), Innovating education in technology-supported environments. Springer, pp. 253–268.
- Li, K.C., & Wong, B.T.M. (2020). Personalising learning with learning analytics: A review of the literature. In Cheung et al. (eds.), Blended Learning: Education in a Smart Learning Environment. Springer, pp. 39–48.
- Li, K.C., & Wong, B.T.M. (2019). Mobile learning in health-related disciplines (2009–2018): A review of case studies with the FRAME model. In S.K.S. Cheung, J. Jiao, L.K. Lee, X. Zhang, K.C. Li, Z. Zhan (Eds.), Technology in Education: Pedagogical Innovations, Springer, pp. 191–202.
- Li, K.C., & Wong, B.T.M. (2019). Blended learning in Hong Kong higher education. In D. Singh & M. Makhanya (Eds.), Essays in Online Education – a Global Perspective, UNISA Press, pp. 107–120.
- Li, K.C., & Wong, B.T.M. (2019). How learning has been personalised: A review of literature from 2009 to 2018. In Cheung et al (Eds.), Blended Learning: Educational Innovation for Personalized Learning, Springer, pp. 72–81.
- Li, K.C., & Wong, B.T.M. (2020). Features and trends of personalised learning: A review of journal publications from 2001 to 2018. Interactive Learning Environments. https://doi.org/10.1080/10494820.2020.1811735
- Li, K.C., & Wong, B.T.M. (2020). Trends of learning analytics in STE(A)M education: A review of case studies. Interactive Technology and Smart Education, 17(3), 323–335.
- Wong, B.T.M., & Li, K.C. (2020). A review of learning analytics intervention in higher education (2011–2018). Journal of Computers in Education, 7(1), 7–28.
- Hwang, G.J., Li, K.C., & Lai, C.L. (2020). Trends and strategies for conducting effective STEM research and applications: A mobile and ubiquitous learning perspective. International Journal of Mobile Learning and Organisation, 14(2), 161–183.
- Li, K.C., & Wong, B.T.M. (2020). The use of student response systems with learning analytics: A review of case studies (2008–2017). International Journal of Mobile Learning and Organisation, 14(1), 63–79.
- Li, K.C. (2019). E-Learning in China. Open Learning: The Journal of Open, Distance and e-Learning, 34(2), 213–216.
- Li, K.C., & Wong, B.T.M. (2019). Factors of student persistence for open universities: Changes over the years. International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 20(4), 132–151.
- Li, K.C., Lee, L.Y.K., Wong, S.L., Yau, I.S.Y., & Wong, B.T.M. (2019). Evaluation of mobile learning for the clinical practicum in nursing education: Application of the FRAME model. Journal of Computing in Higher Education, 31(2), 290–310.
- Li, K.C., & Wong, B.T.M. (2019). The professional development needs for the use of educational technology: A survey of the Hong Kong academic community. Interactive Technology and Smart Education, 16(2), 159–171.
- Li, K.C., & Wong, B.T.M. (2019). Enhancing learners’ metacognition for smart learning: Effects of deep and surface learning, disorganisation, achievement goals and self-efficacy. International Journal of Smart Technology and Learning, 1(3), 203–217.
- Li, K.C., & Wong, B.T.M. (2019). Advancing teaching with massive open online courses: A review of case studies. International Journal of Innovation and Learning, 25(2), 141–155.
- Li, K.C., Lee, L.Y.K., Wong, S.L., Yau, I.S.Y., & Wong, B.T.M. (2019). The effects of mobile learning for nursing students: An integrative evaluation of learning process, learning motivation, and study performance. International Journal of Mobile Learning and Organisation, 13(1), 51–67.
- Wong, B.T.M., Li, K.C., Wong, B.Y.Y., & Yau, J.S.W. (2019). Evolution and effectiveness of e-learning in accounting education: The case of Hong Kong. International Journal of Innovation and Learning, 25(2), 185–196.
Selected Professional & Community Services
- Member, Central Secondary School Management Committee and Central Primary School Management Committee, Hong Kong Council of Church of Christ in China (CCC), 2001 – present
- Secretary-General, Asian Association of Open Universities, 2014 – 2016
- Member, Professional Standards Committee, Hong Kong Institute of Human Resource Management, 2010 – present
- Advisor, Programme Endorsement Sub-Committee, Hong Kong Institute of Human Resource Management, 2010 – present
- Senior Advisor, Bureau of Commerce, Handan City, Hebei Province, China, appointed in 2007
- Advisor, Education Bureau, Handan City, Hebei Province, China, appointed in 2006
- Chairman, Council of Hong Kong Professional Associations, 2005 – 2011
- Expert, Expert Committee for National Licensing Training for Marketers, appointed in 2003
- Invited keynote/plenary speaker, examples in 2020: (a) “Technology in Nursing Education: Options and Readiness”, 13th International Nursing Research Conference, Seoul National University, 22 September. (b) “To What Extent does Ambient Intelligence Support Precision Education — Using STEAM Learning as an Example”, 5th International Conference on Technology in Education, Macau, 19–22 August. (c) “Tutoring and Mentoring During the COVID-19 Outbreak”, 2nd Webinar of the Presidential Speech Series, Asian Association of Open Universities, Jakarta, 4 August. (d) “COVID-19 and Higher Education in China”, International Webinar on “Higher Education Challenges in Distance Learning, Content Delivery and Quality Control”, organized by Allama Iqbal Open University, 16 June. (e) “Impact of Pandemic on Online Learning”, International Online Conference on Teaching-Learning in the Time of Pandemic: role of Online Learning, organized by Krishna Kanta Handiqui State Open University, Assam, 21–22 April.
Modified Date: Apr 06, 2021