Professor Joanne CHUNG Wai-yee is the Dean of School of Nursing and Health Studies of the Open University of Hong Kong.
Professor CHUNG obtained her Bachelor of Applied Sciences (Nursing) from The University of Sydney, Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Education from The University of Portsmouth, Master of Health Administration from The University of New South Wales, Australia, Master of Buddhist Studies from The University of Hong Kong (HKU), Master of Science in Acupuncture from The Chinese University of Hong Kong, and Ph.D. from HKU.
Professor CHUNG started her academic career from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU). During her service in PolyU, she had assumed a number of academic leadership roles including Associate Head of the School of Nursing and Director of the Hong Kong Jockey Club Sports Medicine and Health Sciences Centre.
In 2009, Professor CHUNG joined The Education University of Hong Kong (EdUHK) as Chair Professor of Health Studies, and was later conferred with the Peter T.C. Lee Chair Professorship of Health Studies. During her service in EdUHK, she took up a number of senior administrative positions including Associate Vice President (Programme Development), Dean of Faculty of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences and Acting Director of School of Continuing and Professional Education.
Professor CHUNG is one of the pioneers in translational research particularly in integrating Western medicine, traditional Chinese medicine and technology for the purpose of preserving good health. She publishes extensively, with over 150 papers in many international refereed journals, and has obtained 16 patents. Her creativity, leadership and perseverance in research activities in the emerging field of digital health and pain study also led her to many international awards.
Professor CHUNG is also the Distinguished Professor of Guangzhou Medical University and serves as an advisor/member/director in various government and non-government organizations like the Assessment Panel for Competitive Research Funding Schemes for the Local Self-financing Degree Sector, the Elderly Care Service Industry Training Advisory Committee of the Education Bureau, the Federation for Self-financing Tertiary Education, the Executive Committee of the Society for the Promotion of Hospice Care, etc.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Pain and Symptom Management
- Integrative Health and Nursing
- Digital Health and Innovations
- Health Literacy
- Mindfulness Education and Infection Control
Academic & Professional Experience
Method for Predicting a Blood Glucose level of a person issued on November 2012.
System and method for relaxation (USPTO 8,298,131) issued on 30 October 2012.
Foot Massage Apparatus (Chinese Patent CN 1943533 B) issued on 14 July 2010.
Smart Thermal Textile for Acupuncture Therapy, US Patent, No.12/216,476, 2008.
Smart Thermal Textile for Acupuncture Therapy, PCT Patent, No. PCT/CN2009/000772, 2009.
Electronic Stimulation Textile Garment for Acupuncture Therapy, US Patent, No. 12/569,893, 2009.
A Textile and Preparation Method Containing Microcapsules of Traditional Chinese Medicine, such as Moxa Oil, for Medical and Health Care Use, China Patent, No.CN0911348GWG-HK, 2009.
一种艾叶油微胶囊织物复合整理剂及其应用, China Patent, No. 200910040418.4, 2009.
艾叶油微胶囊抗菌口罩及其制备方法, China Patent, No.200910040420.1, 2009.
Smart Acupressure Pen and Methods of Administering Acupressure (PCT No. WO 2009/036701) issued on 26 March 2009.
Foot Massage Apparatus (U.S. Patent No. US 7,494,476) issued on 24 February 2009.
Method for predicting the blood glucose level of a patient using a near infrared spectral scan (U.S. Patent No. 7,409,239) issued on 5 August 2008.
Device and Method for Sleep Apnea Management Using SPO2, US Patent, No. 0269832 A1, issued on 30 October 2008.
- Zhang, F.F., Or, P.P.L., & Chung, J.W.Y. (2020). The effects of health literacy in preventive health practice among community-dwelling older adults in Hong Kong. BMC Geriatrics. March 14, 20(1): 103. doi: 10.1186/s12877-020-1504-5.
- Or, P.P.L., Ching, P.T.Y., & Chung, J.W.Y. (2020). Can flu-like absenteeism in Kindergartens be reduced through hand hygiene training for both parents and their Kindergarteners? Journal of Primary Care and Community Health, 11, 1- 6 doi:10.1177/2150132719901209.
- Or, P.P.L., Wong, B.Y.M., & Chung, J.W.Y. (2020). To investigate the association between the health literacy and hand hygiene practices of the older adults to help them fight against infectious disease in Hong Kong. American Journal of Infection Control, Available online 7 Feb 2020 In Press (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2019.12.021).
- Chung, J.W.Y., Fong, S.S.M., Gao, Y., Yam, T.T.T., Chak, Y.T.C., Leung, J.C.Y., & Wong, T.K.S. (2019). Effects of Ving Tsun sticking-hand training on upper- limb sensorimotor performance in community-dwelling middle-aged and older adults: A randomized controlled trial. International Journal of Nursing Sciences. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1016/j.ijnss.2019.11.001.
- Cheng, Y.T.Y., Wong, T.K.S., Tsang, W.W.N., Schooling, C.M., Fong, S.S.M., Gao, Y., & Chung, J.W.Y. (2019). Neuromuscular training for children with developmental coordination disorder: A randomized controlled trial. Medicine, 98(45), e17946. DOI: 10.1097/MD.0000000000017946.
- Chung, J.W.Y., Wong, W.S., Wong, T.K.S., Wong, B.Y.M, Kwok, P.S.T., & Yan, V.C.M. (2019). The analysis of changes in the physical fitness of Hong Kong preschoolers following the adoption of an integrated physical fitness curriculum. International Journal of Science and Healthcare Research, 4 (8), 185-193.
- Chung, L.M.Y., Chung, J.W.Y., & Chan, A.P.C. (2019). Building healthy eating knowledge and behavior: An evaluation of nutrition education in a skill training course for construction apprentices. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16, 4852; doi:10.3390/ijerph16234852.
- Chung, J. W. Y., So, H. C. F., Yan, V. C. M., Kwok, P. S. T., Wong, B. Y. M., Yang, J. Y., & Chan, A. P. C. (2019). A survey of work-related pain prevalence among construction workers in Hong Kong. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16(8), 1404-1415. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph16081404
- Fong, S.S.M., Ng, L.L.K., Ma, A,W.W., Wang, H.K, Bae, Y.H., Yam, T.T.T., Kam, W.K., & Chung, J.W.Y. (2018). Effects of kinesiology taping on shoulder girdle muscle activity and sports performance during badminton forehand overhead strokes in amateur badminton players with shoulder impingement syndrome. The Journal of Sports medicine and Physical Fitness, DOI: 10.23736/S0022-4707.18.09125-9.
- Cheng, S.T., Leung, C.M.C., Chan, K.L., Chen, P.P., Chung, J.W.Y., et al (2018). The relationship of self-efficacy to catastrophizing and depressive symptoms in community-dwelling older adults with chronic pain: A moderated mediation model. PLoS ONE 13(9): e0203964. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0203964.
- Fong, S.S.M., Choi, A.W.M., Luk, W.S., Yam, T.T.T., Leung, J.C.Y., & Chung, J.W.Y. (2018). Bone mineral density, balance performance, balance self- efficacy, and falls in breast cancer survivors with and without qigong training: An observational study. Integrative Cancer Therapies, 1, 124-130.
- Law, Q. P. S., Yau, A.H.Y., & Chung, J. W. Y. (2018). Chinese Adults’ Nutrition Label Literacy in Hong Kong: Implications for nurses. Nursing & Health Sciences, 1–7. https://doi.org/10.1111/nhs.12575.
- Chung, J.W.Y., Wong, B.Y.M., Yan, V.C.M., Chung, L.M.Y., So, H. C.F., & Chan, A. (2018). Cardiovascular Health of construction workers in Hong Kong: A cross-sectional study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 15, 1251, doi:10.3390/ijerph15061251.
- Chow, G.C.C., Chung, J.W.Y., & Fong, S.S.M. (2018). Differential effects of post- exercise ice water immersion and room temperature water immersion on muscular performance, vertical jump, and agility in amateur rugby players: A randomized controlled trial. Science and Sports, 33, e271-e279.
- Lam, C.L.Y., Fong, S.S.M., Chung, J.W.Y., Chung, L.M.Y., Liu, K.P.Y., Bae, Y.H., Ma, A.W.W. (2018). Influence of pelvic padding and Kinesiology Taping on pain perception, kinematics, and kinetics of falls in female volleyball athletes. Gait & Posture, 64, 25-29.
- Yang, Z., Zhou, Y., Chung, J.W.Y., Tang, Q., Jiang, L., & Wong, T.K.S. (2018). Challenge Based Learning nurtures creative thinking: An evaluative study. Nurse Education Today, 71, 40-17.
- Or, P.P.L., Chung, J.W.Y., & Wong, T.K.S. (2018). A study of environmental factors affecting nurses’ comfort and protection in wearing N95 respirators during bedside procedures. Journal of Clinical Nursing. doi: 10.1111/jocn.14268 April 27(7-8): e1477-e1484.
- 楊芷、周英、鍾慧儀、唐秋碧、姜戀、汪國成 (2018). 以反思報告評估創新與創意思維課程 教學效果的質性研究 .護理研究，4, 587-590.
- So, C. F., & Chung, J.W.Y. (2018). Telehealth for diabetes self-management in primary health care – a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, 24(5), 356-364.
Selected Professional & Community Services
- Council member, The Hong Kong Nurses Association cum Hong Kong College of Nursing (Representative of the International Council of Nurses (ICN) in Hong Kong) (2020 – present)
- Distinguished Professor, Guangzhou Medical University (2017 – present)
- Member, School Advisory Committee, School of Nursing and Healthcare, Hong Kong Nang Yan College of Higher Education (2017 – present)
- Member, Appeal Board under the Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications Ordinance (Cap. 592), Education Bureau, HKSAR Government (2017 – present)
- Head, Monitoring and Assessment Sub-group for the IDS “Establishment of Healthcare Research Centre, Monitoring and Assessment Panel, University Grants Committee (2016 – present)
- Member, Executive Committee, The Society for the Promotion of Hospice Care (2016 – present)
- Chair, Clinical Governance Committee, Jockey Club Home for Hospice Governing Committee (2015 – present)
- Convener, Clinical Governance Committee, Jockey Club Home for Hospice Governing Committee (2015 – present)
- Editorial Board Member, Antimicrobial Resistance and Infection Control, U.S. (2011 – present)
- Member, Editorial Board of the Revista Lantino-Americana de Enfermagem (RLAE), Brazil (2005 – present)
Modified Date: Feb 02, 2021