Dr. Jessie Wong is Assistant Professor at The Open University of Hong Kong. Before joining the University, she was World General Secretary of the World Organization for Early Childhood Education (OMEP) and Communication and Research Officer of Victoria Educational Organisation. Dr. Wong has devoted her time and energy to advocating the rights of children in Hong Kong and worldwide, by undertaking research which specially focuses on the policies of early childhood development and education. She has been the organiser of academic conferences and seminars and is currently an Executive Committee Member of the Hong Kong branch of OMEP and Hong Kong Child-Rity Association.
Dr. Wong received her Bachelor of Arts in Psychology with a Specialization in Computing (Cum Laude) from the University of California, Los Angeles; Master of Social Work (Distinction) and Doctor of Philosophy in Early Childhood Education Policy from The University of Hong Kong. She was a recipient of the Hong Kong SAR Government Scholarship for her doctoral study. Dr. Wong is a Registered Social Worker in Hong Kong.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Early Childhood Education Policies
- International Comparisons of Early Childhood Development and Education
- Professionalism of Educators
- Child Studies
Academic & Professional Experience
01/2019-06/2021, Faculty Development Scheme, Research Grants Council
The Development of Kindergarten Practitioners’ Professional Identity under the Free Kindergarten Education Policy in Hong Kong (HK$784,745)
12/2018-04/2020, Quality Education Fund, Hong Kong Education Bureau
- 孔美琪、王明善、李南玉、李漪湄、唐少勳、楊黃蕙吟與藍美容（主編）（2020）。《薪火相傳 始於幼兒教育 — 中華傳統文化教學活動集》。香港：世界幼兒教育聯會香港分會。
- Rao, N., Lau, C., Chan, S., Koong, M. & Wong, J. M. S. (2019). Responsive policymaking and implementation: From equality to equity. A case study of the Hong Kong early childhood education and care system (pp. 284). Washington, DC: National Center on Education and the Economy. URL: http://ncee.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/EA-Hong-Kong-Case-Study-032519.pdf
- Rao, N., Sun, J., Wong, J. M. S., Weekes, B. S., Ip, P., Shaeffer, S., Young, M. E., Bray, M., Chen, E., & Lee, D. (2014). Early childhood development and cognitive development in developing countries: A rigorous literature review (pp. 99). London: Department for International Development.
- Koong, M., & Wong, J. M. S. (2018). Children with toys. In World OMEP (Ed.), Children of the world: 70 years of OMEP in photographs (pp.100-103). Seoul: Changjisa Publishing Co.
- Rao, N., & Wong, J. M. S. (2018). Early childhood development. In M. H. Bornstein (Ed.), The SAGE Encyclopedia of Lifespan Human Development (pp.688-691). Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications. doi: 10.4135/9781506307633.n258
- Wong, J. M. S., Li, H., & Rao, N. (2013). Impacts of the Pre-primary Education Voucher Scheme: Experiences of eight kindergartens. In R. Caron (Ed.), Educational policy in the twenty-first century. Hauppauge, NY: NOVA.
- Chau, L. N. L., Wong, J. M. S., & Li, H. (2011). Hong Kong kindergartens in the Web 2.0 era: Practices, problems and prospects. In R. Kahn & S. Mazur (Eds.), Educational studies and school (pp.273-286). Los Angeles: Department of Education, Antioch University.
- Wong, J. M. S., & Rao, N. (2020). Pursuing quality in early childhood education with a government-regulated voucher: Views of parents and service providers in Hong Kong. Journal of Education Policy. [Online first; doi: 10.1080/02680939.2020.1764628] [SSCI, 2018 Impact Factor 2.684, SJR 2018 2.835, Q1 in Education]
- Lam, H. M. Y, & Wong, J. M. S.* (2020). Towards a new assessment paradigm: Are preschools convinced? Early Childhood Education Journal, 48(4), 405-413. doi: 10.1007/s10643-019-01010-x [* as Corresponding Author] [SSCI, 2018 Impact Factor 1.052, SJR 2018 0.597, Q2 in Education]
- Wong, J. M. S. & Rao, N. (2015). The evolution of early childhood education policy in Hong Kong. International Journal of Child Care and Education Policy, 9(3). doi: 10.1007/s40723-015-0006-y. URL: http://www.ijccep.com/content/9/1/3 [ESCI]
- Li, H., Tse, S. K., Wong, J. M. S., Wong, E. C. M., & Leung, S. O. (2013). The development of interrogative forms and functions in early childhood Cantonese. First Language, 33(2), 168-181. doi: 10.1177/0142723713479422 [SSCI, SJR 2013 1.064, Q1 in Language and Linguistics]
- Li, H., Wang, X. C., & Wong, J. M. S. (2011). Early childhood curriculum reform in China: Perspectives from examining teachers’ beliefs and practices in Chinese literacy teaching. Chinese Education and Society, 44(6), 5-23. doi: 10.2753/CED1061-1932440601
- Li, H., Wong, J. M. S., & Wang, X. C. (2010). Affordability, accessibility, and accountability: Perceived impacts of the Pre-primary Education Vouchers in Hong Kong. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 25(1), 125-138. doi: 10.1016/j.ecresq.2009.09.004 [SSCI, SJR 2010 1.841, Q1 in Education]
- Li, H., Wong, J. M. S., & Wang, C. (2008). Early childhood education voucher in Hong Kong: Perspectives from online communities. International Journal of Early Childhood, 40(2), 49-63. doi: 10.1007/BF03165839 [ESCI]
Selected Professional & Community Services
- External Examiner, Higher Diploma in Early Childhood Education Programme — Caritas Institute of Higher Education [2018-Present]
- Executive Committee Member — Hong Kong Child-Rity Association [2018-Present]
- Executive Committee Member — World Organization for Early Childhood Education-Hong Kong (OMEP-Hong Kong) [2016-Present]
- Senior Reviewer — The Southeast Asian Conference on Education 2020
- Review Committee Member — The Asian Conference on Education 2019
- Senior Reviewer — The Asian Conference on Education 2018
- Reviewer — Early Childhood Education Journal 
- Reviewer — Children and Youth Services Review [2017, 2019]
- Reviewer — International Journal of Early Years Education 
- Reviewer — International Journal of Child Care and Education Policy [2016-2017, 2019-2020]
Link to personal homepage
Link to Google Scholar page
Modified Date: May 26, 2020