Professor Lee obtained his Bachelor of Nursing from La Trobe University, Master of Science in Nursing and Education from The University of Edinburgh in U.K., and Doctor of Philosophy in Social Sciences from Lingnan University.
Started his career as a Registered Nurse in Hong Kong, Professor Lee joined the University (the then Open Learning Institute of Hong Kong) in 1995 as a Lecturer. Due to his outstanding performance and contributions, he was promoted to Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and then Professor. With the establishment of the Division of Nursing and Health Studies (DNHS) in 2013, he was appointed as the Head of the Division.
Under Professor Lee’s strong leadership, the then DNHS had undergone rapid expansion in terms of programmes, students, revenue and reputation. A full range of innovative, practical and signature programmes from sub-degree to postgraduate levels have been developed to cater for different community needs and meet the high demand.
With over 20 years of solid experience at OUHK, Professor Lee has emerged as a seasoned academic administrator with excellent track record and exposure in teaching and programme development in nursing and health studies, scholarly activities and school management.
Professor Lee is also actively engaged in community services. He has been elected as a member of the Legislative Council of the HKSAR since 2004, and serving as a committee member in a number of public bodies.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Health Policy and Nursing Politics
- Nursing Human Resources Planning
- Workplace Violence in Nursing
- Aging of the Nursing Workforce
- Diagnostic Practice in Nursing
- Spiritual Dimension of Caring
Academic & Professional Experience
Member, Legislative Council of the HKSAR (since 2004)
Dean & Professor, The Open University of Hong Kong (since 2018)
Professor, The Open University of Hong Kong (2013 – 2018)
Associate Professor, The Open University of Hong Kong (2006 – 2013)
Assistant Professor, The Open University of Hong Kong (1998 – 2005)
- Lee, L. Y. K., & Lee, J. K. L. (2015). Leading and managing change in education: Putting transformational leadership into practice. In K. C. Li & K. S. Yuen (Eds.). Studies and Practices for Advancement in Open and Distance Education (pp.1-15). Hong Kong: Open University of Hong Kong Press.
- Lee, L. Y. K., Wong, A. K. P., Lee, J. K. L., Yuen, W. S., Yip, J. C. Y., & Wong, Y. S. (2014). Development of an instrument for programme evaluation: An illustration from a nursing programme. In K.C. Li & K. S. Yuen (Eds.). Emerging Models and Approaches in Open and Flexible Education (pp. 1-11). Hong Kong: The Open University of Hong Kong.
- Lee, L.Y.K., Lee, J.K.L., Lam, S.C., & Wong, S.L. (2012) Ethical analysis on therapeutic abortion for fetal abnormality: a case study. In S.R. Hall & G.M. Kelly (Eds.), Childbirth Research: New Developments (pp. 89 – 104). New York: Nova Science Publisher.
- Liu, A. K. F., Lam, S. C. , Li, A. H. L., Keung, K. K. M., Lee, J. K. L., Lee, L. Y. K., Wong, K. F., & Lee, C. N. Y. (2011) N95 respirator fit testing procedure augmented with prediction based on facial anthropometry. In P. Tsang, J. Wong, C. Tong, I. Yip, J. Tsang & F. L. Wang (Eds.), Emergency services and Health Informatics 2.0 (pp.4-16). Hong Kong: City University of Hong Kong.
- Lam, S.C., Lui, A.K.F., Lee, Y.K., Lee, J.K.L., Wong, K.F., & Lee, C.N.Y. (2016) Evaluation of the user-seal-check on gross leakage detection of three different designs of N95 filtering facepiece respirators. American Journal of Infection Contral, 44, 579-86. doi:10.0106/j.ajic.2015.12.013. [Impact Factor: 2.206]
- Choi, S.P.P., Yeung, C.C.Y., & Lee, J.K.L. (2106). Beyond numbers and ratios: a study of the manpower shortage phenomenon in long-term care facilities for the elderly in Hong Kong. Journal of Nursing Home Research, 1, 45-46.
- Kaur, B. & Lee, J. K. L. (2012). Are You Too Mature to Perceive Sexuality. I.P.E.D.R. Archives, 51, 6-9.
- Kaur, B. & Lee, J. K. L. (2012). Chinese Males in Hong Kong are More Liberal than Female on Sexuality. I.P.E.D.R .Archives, 51, 10-12.
- Kaur, B. & Lee, J. K. L. (2012). Sexuality Attitude Relies on Educational Level. I.P.E.D.R. Archives, 51, 13-16.
- Lam, S.C., Lui, A.K.F., Lee, J.K.L., Lee, L.Y.K., Wong, K.F., & Lee, C.N.Y. (2012) Testing of the sensitivity and specificity of the user-seal-check procedure on “gross leakage” of N95 respirators. International Journal of Infectious Diseases, 16S, e377.doi:10.1016/j.ijid.2012.05.487. [Impact Factor: 2.529]
- Tsang, S.C. H., Mok, S.E.S.B., Lam, S.C., & Lee, J.K.L. (2012) The Benefit of mindfulness-based stress reduction to patients with terminal cancer. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 21, 2690-2702. [Impact Factor: 1.118]
- Lam, S. C., Lee, J. K. L., Lee, L. Y. K., Wong, K. F., & Lee, C. N. Y. (2011) Respiratory protection by respirators: The predictive value of user-seal-check for the fit determination in healthcare settings. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, 32(4), 402-403. [Impact Factor: 3.751]
- Lam, S. C., Lee, J. K. L., Yau, S. Y., & Charm, C. Y. C. (2011) Sensitivity and specificity of the user-seal-check in determining the fits of N95 respirators. Journal of Hospital Infection, 77, 252-256. [Impact Factor: 3.078]
- Lee, L. Y. K., Tsang, A. Y. K., Wong, K. F., & Lee, J. K. L. (2011) Using the Roy Adaptation Model to develop an antenatal assessment instrument. Nursing Science Quarterly, 24 (4), 363-369.
Selected Professional & Community Services
- Member, Lantau Development Advisory Committee (since 2018)
- Member, Urban Renewal Authority (since 2016)
- Member, Housing Authority (since 2015)
- Member, Equal Opportunities Commission (since 2013)
- Member, Commission on Strategic Development (2007 – 2017)
- Member, Operational Review Committee, ICAC (2011 – 2016)
- Member, Estate Agents Authority (2008 – 2014)
- Vice Chairman, Independent Police Complaints Council (2007 – 2012)
- Member, Hospital Authority (2004 – 2013)
- Member, Nursing Council of Hong Kong (2005 – 2011)
Modified Date: Apr 17, 2018