Rachel IP Hiu-Yin, visual artist, independent curator, art educator. Rachel was graduated from Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology(RMIT), obtaining a BAFA degree in photography; Master of Cultural Studies in Lingnan University.
Rachel's photographic works which explore her relationship with the world, were exhibited at the Hong Kong Arts Centre, The 11th Pingyao International Photography Festival, Fine Art Asia 2011, Oil and various galleries, and are in private collections. Her recent projects are trying to explore photography in post digital era and the relationship between imagery and photography.
She is a keen promoter of the arts and is a founding member of art group CLICK and The Upper Station, a gallery focusing on contemporary photography. She is gallery manager of The Upper Station and curates its exhibitions and education programmes. Participated in M.A.D.@West Kowloon (2011), guest tutor for Hong Kong Visual Arts Centre photography workshop, worked as an art consultant for AO Vertical Art Space. Founded RAC, a one man art school, in 2012. She teaches art and photography, writes about art and also working as an curator. Recent projects included Rare Encounters: Nancy Sheung's Portraits of Hong Kong Women in the 1960s with Dr. Edwin K. Lai and 100 Self-portraits of Hongkongese. Columnist of Milk magazine.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Photography in post-digital era
- History of Photography
- Art History
- Painting to Photography
- Photography as Contemporary Art
- Cultural Studies
- 100 Self-Portraits of HongKongese, brownie publishing, Hong Kong, 2015.
Selected Professional & Community Services
- Jury for 4th JUPS Photography Competition in Spring 2018.
- Jury for Harbour Art Hong Kong Photo Competition in Spring 2018.
- Jury for Photo Competition by The Open University of Hong Kong (SA0) in 2016.
- Jury for Photo Competition by The Open University of Hong Kong (SA0) in 2015.
- Convenor of Hong Kong Artist Union