Edsoulla is an assistant professor in the School of Education and Languages at Hong Kong Metropolitan University (HKMU; formerly the Open University of Hong Kong, OUHK). Prior to completing her doctorate in second language education at the University of Cambridge as a Cambridge Trust scholar, Edsoulla taught English courses for academic and specific purposes in the English Language Teaching Unit (ELTU) of the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK), where she received a Faculty of Arts Outstanding Teaching Award in 2013 and an ELTU Exemplary Teaching Award for three consecutive years.
At HKMU, Edsoulla is engaged in English language education, teacher education, and educational research. With her commitment to quality teaching, she has been appointed as one of the six Learning and Teaching Evangelists, responsible for promulgating good practices for effective teaching among colleagues and working with the Office for Advancement of Learning and Teaching (ALTO) to facilitate teachers’ professional development. She was also a recipient of the President’s Awards for Teaching Excellence at the university in 2021. With her research interests in second language acquisition, professional development for teachers, and vocabulary input and treatment, Edsoulla has published in international journals, including Learning, Culture and Social Interaction, System and the Asia-Pacific Education Researcher.
Selected Academic & Teaching Awards
- President’s Awards for Teaching Excellence, HKMU (2021)
- The Faculty of Arts Outstanding Teaching Award, CUHK (2013)
- Exemplary Teaching Award, ELTU, CUHK (2013; 2014; 2015)
- Cambridge Trust Scholarship
- HKSAR Government Scholarship
- Hong Kong Scholarship for Excellence
- Sir S K Tang Chevening Postgraduate Scholarship
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- English Language Teaching and Learning
- Professional Development for Teachers
- Second Language Acquisition
- Vocabulary Input and Treatment
Academic & Professional Experience
Funded Research Projects
- A corpus-driven analysis of academic vocabulary use in essays written by English language learners at a Hong Kong university.
Principal Investigator, University Research Committee, HKMU, 11/2022-04/2024, RD/2022/1.19. [HKD200,000]
- Towards a reflective approach to developing academic vocabulary: An intervention case study in the higher education context.
Principal Investigator, Faculty Development Scheme, Research Grants Council, 01/2022-12/2023, UGC/FDS16/H19/21. [HKD768,300]
- Vocabulary learning and teaching in the English language classroom: Issues, challenges and implications.
Principal Investigator, Research and Development Funding for School of Education and Languages, HKMU, 2021-22, R4097. [HKD40,000]
- Investigating the role of critical reflection in teachers' professional development.
Principal Investigator, Research and Development Funding for School of Education and Languages, OUHK, 2019-20, R4089. [HKD40,000]
- A pilot study on analysing HKEAA English essays for learning and teaching in Hong Kong secondary schools.
Co-investigator, Research and Development Funding for School of Education and Languages, OUHK, 2019-20, R4086/7. [HKD60,000]
- Developing beliefs and practices regarding vocabulary teaching through a dialogic approach for professional development: A case study of English language teachers in Hong Kong.
Principal investigator, Faculty of Education, University of Cambridge, 2015-18. [Approx. HKD960,000]
- Expanding the academic vocabulary of university students: An eLearning initiative.
Co-investigator, Courseware Development Grant, Academic IT Steering Committee (AITSC), CUHK, 2013-14. [HKD85,000]
- Strategies to improve vocabulary size of university students.
Co-investigator, Teaching Development Grants for 2012-15 Triennium, CUHK, 2012-13. [HKD149,666]
- Chung, E., & Fisher, L. (2022). A dialogic approach to promoting professional development: Understanding change in Hong Kong language teachers’ beliefs and practices regarding vocabulary teaching and learning. System, 110, Article 102901. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.system.2022.102901 [SSCI]
- Chung, E., & Tang, E. (2022). Understanding politeness in an Online Community of Practice for Chinese ESL teachers: Implications for sustainable professional development in the digital era. Sustainability, 14, Article 11183. https://doi.org/10.3390/su141811183 [SSCI]
- Chung, E. (2022). Effecting change in teachers' beliefs about vocabulary learning and teaching: The role of dialogic reflection. SAGE Open, 12(1), 1-15 . https://doi.org/10.1177/21582440211071084 [SSCI]
- Chung, E., & Fung, D. (2022). 'I realised I only knew the word partly': Student beliefs about vocabulary knowledge and learning in different grades and proficiency levels. The Language Learning Journal. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1080/09571736.2021.2023204 [ESCI]
- Chung, E. (2021). Eleven factors contributing to the effectiveness of dialogic reflection: Understanding professional development from the teacher’s perspective. Pedagogies: An International Journal. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1080/1554480X.2021.2013234 [ESCI]
- Lee, C., Ge, H. Y., & Chung, E. (2021). What linguistic features distinguish and predict L2 writing quality? A study of examination scripts written by adolescent Chinese learners of English in Hong Kong. System, 97, Article 102461. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.system.2021.102461 [SSCI]
- Chung, E. (2018). Revisiting second language vocabulary teaching: Insights from Hong Kong in-service teachers. The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher, 27(6), 499-508. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40299-018-0412-3 [SSCI]
- Tang, E., & Chung, E. (2016). A study of non-native discourse in an Online Community of Practice (CoP) for teacher education. Learning, Culture and Social Interaction, 8(1), 48-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lcsi.2015.12.002 [SSCI]
- Tang, E., Chung, E., Li, E., & Yeung, S. (2016). Independent vocabulary building experience of Hong Kong university students: A pedagogical perspective. IAFOR Journal of Education, 4(1), 13-29. https://doi.org/10.22492/ije.4.1.01 [Scopus]
Selected Professional & Community Services
- Member (2020-22) and Chairperson (2022-23) - LPATE Subject Committee
- Mentor - CoP for the BA (English Studies) and BEd (English Language Education) Co-terminal Double Degree Programme (EDUC4040 Teaching Practice II), Faculty of Education, CUHK (2018-19)
- Editorial Board Member and Reviewer - English as Foreign Language International Journal [Scopus; Formerly Asian EFL Journal] (2016-present) and TESOL International Journal [Scopus] (2015-present)
- Review Committee Member - The Asian Conference on Language Learning (2019); The Southeast Asian Conference on Education (2020); The Asian Conference on Education (2021); The IAFOR International Conference on Education – Hawaii (2022 & 2023)
- Reviewer - British Educational Research Association (BERA) Annual Conference (2017)
- Reviewer - Asian Association of Open Universities Journal [Scopus]; Asian-Pacific Journal of Second and Foreign Language Education [ESCI]; Innovation in Language Learning and Teaching [SSCI]; Journal of Decision Systems [ESCI]; Journal of Education for Teaching [SSCI]; Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development [SSCI]; Pedagogies: An International Journal [ESCI]; SAGE Open [SSCI]; Studies in Second Language Learning and Teaching [SSCI]; Sustainability [SSCI]; Teacher Education Quarterly; TESOL Journal [ESCI]; The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher [SSCI]; The Electronic Journal for English as a Second Language (TESL-EJ) [Scopus]; The Language Learning Journal [ESCI]; The International Journal of Learning
- Adjudicator - Sing Tao Inter-School Debating Competition (2013-present); The Hong Kong Federation of Youth Groups English Public Speaking Contest (2022)
Link to personal homepage
Link to Google Scholar page
Modified Date: Nov 18, 2022