Dr. Eric Sze is currently the Associate Professor in the Testing and Certification Programme, School of Science and Technology, the Open University of Hong Kong. He is also the Adjunct Assistant Professor in Department of Chemistry, the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). Eric Sze received his Bachelor in environmental science from the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). In 2000, he completed his Ph.D. in Chemistry at the same university. In 2015, Dr. Sze obtained his M.Sc. with distinction in Applied Toxicology at the University of Surrey, United Kingdom.
Dr. Sze has more than 10 years managerial experience in chemical testing laboratories for environmental samples, food and consumer products. Besides, he had also worked in the Hong Kong Accreditation Service (HKAS) of the Government of HKSAR as senior accreditation officer and assisted in developing and promoting the use of accreditation services. He is thus familiar with the accreditation requirements of laboratories and other conformity assessment bodies. In May 2018, Dr. Sze was appointed by the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) as Expert to conduct mission in training of lead assessors in Africa.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Authentication of Chinese Materia Medica
- Detection and characterization of toxic substances by different instrumental analysis techniques
- Application of probiotic bacteria in food processing
- Environmental studies and monitoring
- Chan, R.C.H., Lam, S.S.W., Fong, F.L.Y., Chan, D.T.W., Lee, F.W.F., Sze, E.T.P. (2018), "Optimization of protein extraction and two-dimensional gel electrophoresis profiles for the identification of Cordyceps sinensis and other similar species", PLOS One, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0202779
- Chan, K.K., Kwok, C. S.-N., Sze, T.-P. E., and Lee, F. W.-F. (2018), “Evaluation of the Use of TRIzol-Based Protein Extraction Approach for Gel-Based Proteomic Analysis of Dried Seafood Products and Chinese Tonic Foods”, International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 19, 1998.
- Tsang, Y.Y., Mak, C.W., Liebich, C., Lam, S.W., Sze, E. T-P., Chan, K.M. (2016), “Microplastic Pollution in Marine Waters and Sediments of Hong Kong”, Marine Pollution Bulletin, 115, 20
- Chan, T.-W. D., Duan, L. and Sze, T.-P. E. (2002) “Accurate mass measurements for peptide and protein mixtures by using matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization Fourier transform mass spectrometry (MALDI-FTMS)”, Analytical Chemistry, Vol. 74, 5282
- Tsang, C-W., Yang, Q., Sze, E.T-P., Mak, T.C.W., Chan, T-W.D and Xie, Z. (2000) "Weakly Coordinating Nature of a Carborane Cage Bearing Different Halogen Atoms. Synthesis and Structural Characterization of Icosahedral Mixed Halocarborane Anions, 1-H-CB11Y5X6- (X, Y = Cl, Br, I).", Inorganic Chemistry, Vol. 39, 5851.
- Tsang, C-W. , Yang, Q., Sze, E.T-P., Mak, T.C.W., Chan, T-W.D and Xie, Z. (2000) "Synthesis and Structural Characterization of Highly Chlorinated, Brominated, Iodinated, and Methylated Carborane Anions, 1-H-CB9X9-, 1-NH2-CB9X9-(X = Cl, Br, I), and 1-H-CB9(CH3)9-", Inorganic Chemistry, Vol. 39, 3582.
- Sze, E.T-P. and Chan, T-W.D. (1999) "Time-of-flight effects in matrix-assisted laser desorption / ionization Fourier transform mass spectrometry", Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, Vol. 13, 1.
- Xie, Z., Tsang, C-W., Sze, E.T-P., Yang, Q., Chan, T-W.D and Mak, T.C.W. (1998) "Highly Chlorinated, brominated, and iodinated icosahedral carbonane anions: 1-H-CB11X11-, 1-CH3-CB11-X11- (X = Cl, Br, I); 1-Br-CB11B11-", Inorganic Chemistry, Vol. 37, 6444.
- Sze, E.T.P., Wang, G. and Chan, T-W.D. (1998) "Formulation of matrix solutions for use in matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization (MALDI) of Biomoelcules",; Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry, Vol. 9, 166.
Selected Professional & Community Services
- Director, Institute for Research in Innovation Technology and Sustainability
Link to personal homepage
Modified Date: Dec 05, 2019