Dr. Ng Kei Shing Douglas 吳其盛博士
BSc (Hons) CityU, MPhil CityU
PhD in Medical Informatics PolyU, PhD in Applied Mathematics CityU, FIBMS, FIMA, FBCS, CEng, CMath, CSci
School of Science and Technology
Douglas received his BSc (1st class Hons) in Computing Mathematics, MPhil in Mathematical Physics, PhD degree in Applied Mathematics from the City University of Hong Kong in 2001, 2003 and 2018, respectively, and PhD degree in Medical Informatics from Hong Kong Polytechnic University in 2009. He was a Mathematics subject teacher in a secondary school from 2003 to 2006. He joined the Open University of Hong Kong in 2006 as a part time tutor (MST 322, MATH S221, MATH S222), and is now an assistant Professor in the Mathematics and Statistics Team. He is the principal investigator of the FDS project titled ‘Radial Basis Functions Method for Medical Imaging Problems” (Project Reference No.: UGC/FDS16/M08/18). His research interests include Meshless Computational Methods, Computer Aided Detection Methods for Cerebrovascular Diseases and Mathematical Modelling.
Douglas is a Chartered Engineer, a Chartered Mathematician, a Chartered Scientist, a Fellow of the Institute of Biomedical Science, a Fellow of the Institute of Mathematics and its Application and a Fellow of British Computer Society in the UK.
- PhD in Applied Mathematics, 2018
- PhD in Medical Informatics, 2009
- MPhil in Mathematical Physics, 2003
- BSc (1st Hons) in Computing Mathematics, 2001
- Certificate in Analyzing Big Data with Microsoft R, Microsoft, 2019
- Certificate in Perform Cloud Data Science with Azure Machine Learning, Microsoft, 2019
- Certificate in Engineering Calculus and Differential Equations, HKU, 2019
- Certificate in Data Science and Big Data Analytics: Making Data-Driven Decisions, MIT, 2018
- Certificate in Integrated course in Phlebotomy, Intravenous Cannulation & Basic ECG Interpretation, 2017
- Certificate in Applied Clinical Informatics, 2014
- 中國珠心算師資結業證書, 2014
- 珠心算能力國際鑑定證書, 2014
- 中國數學奧林匹克貳級教練員證書, 2014
- Applied Analytics using SAS Enterprise Miner, 2013
- SAS Programming II: Manipulating Data with the DATA Step, 2013
- Online Training for Tutors, OUHK, 2006
Professional Qualifications / Memberships:
- Fellow (FBCS), British Computer Society, UK, 2018
- Fellow (FIMA), Institute of Mathematics and its Applications, UK, 2018
- Fellow (FIBMS), Institute of Biomedical Science, UK, 2015
- Chartered Engineer (CEng), Engineering Council, UK, 2013
- Chartered Scientist (CSci), Science Council, UK, 2012
- Chartered Mathematician (CMath), Institute of Mathematics and its Applications, UK, 2012
- Approved CEng/IEng Assessor, British Computer Society, UK, 2018
- Member (MHKCS), Hong Kong Computer Society, 2018
- Member, American Psychological Association (APA), US, 2017
- Member, Canadian Association for Neuroscience (CAN-ACN), 2017
- Member (FRSS), Royal Statistical Society (RSS), UK, 2014
- Member, Hong Kong Mathematical Society, 2014
- Member (MIoP), Institute of Physics (IoP), UK, 2013
- Member, Hong Kong Statistical Society, 2012
- 優秀輔導員 - 走進美妙的數學花園 [中國少年科學院], 2018
- The President's Awards for Teaching Excellence, The Open University of Hong Kong, 2017
- First Place Award (Meritorious) of China Undergraduate Mathematical Contest in Modelling (CUMCM), Higher Education Division of the China State Education Commission and China Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 2000
- International Journal of Psychological Studies, since 2016
- F.H. Tang, K.S. Ng and H.K. Chow, `Method and systems for detecting ischemic stroke', U.S. Patent 2012/0114205 A1, May 10, 2012
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Mathematics: Engineering Mathematics, Algebra and Calculus, Mathematical Finance
- Statistics: Multivariate Statistical Analysis, Quantitative Research Methods, Decision Analysis
- Psychology: Psychometrics and Advanced Statistics
- Research Interests: Nonlinear Partial Differential Equations, Mathematical Modelling, Kernal Based Approximation Methods, Medical Image Processing, Computer-Aided Diagnosis Methods for Cerebrovascular Diseases
Academic & Professional Experience
- 2015-now Assistant Professor, School of Science and Technology, OUHK
- 2011-2015 Lecturer, School of Science and Technology, OUHK
- 2010-2011 Course Coordinator, School of Science and Technology, OUHK
- 2009-2010 Teaching Assistant, School of Science and Technology, OUHK
- 2006-2009 Tutor, School of Science and Technology, OUHK
- China Undergraduate Mathematical Contest in Modelling (CUMCM), since 2002 [First place, second place, successful participation awards]
- Hang Lung Mathematics Awards, 2004 [3 teams ranked top 15 in Hong Kong]
- Hi-School Mathematical Contest in Modelling, 2004 [Honorable Mention]
- Hong Kong Odyssey of the Mind Programme, 2004, 2005 [Certificate of appreciation]
- J. Caldwell, K.S. Ng. Quantitative Models for Financial Risks, 1st edition, Open University of Hong Kong, 2011.
- J. Caldwell, K.S. Ng. Mathematical Modelling: Case Studies and Projects, Springer, Dordrecht, Netherlands, 2004. ISBN 1-4020-1991-2
- Y. Li, C. N. Sam, Y.C. Hon, K.S. Ng. An integration preconditioning method for solving option pricing problems, accepted for publication in International Journal of Computer Mathematics, 2020.
- Y. Li, G. Liu, Z Feng, K.S. Ng, S.W Li. A node-based smoothed radial point interpolation method with linear strain fields for vibration analysis of solids, Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements. 114:8-22, 2020.
- S.M. Wong, K.S. Ng, TS Li. A Meshless Collocation Scheme for Deformation Registration Model, Southeast Asian Bulletin of Mathematics, no 43, 2019.
- S.M. Wong, K.S. Ng, TS Li. Computation of Deformable Image Registration by Weighted Kernel-based Meshless Method, The 9th international conference on computational methods (ICCM2018), 2018.
- N. Wan, K. Hung, H.Y. Cheung, R. Liang, C. Chu, S.O.Choy, K.S. Ng, D.HK Chow. Development and Evaluation of a Haptic-Based Upper-Limb Orthosis for Rehabilitation, 2017 5th International Conference on Instrumentation, Communications, Information Technology, and Biomedical Engineering (ICICI-BME), pp 131-135, 2017.
- K.S. Ng, S.M. Wong, W.K. Cheung, Cancer Growth Models and Its Treatment, Neural, Parallel, and Scientific Computations. 25:107-114, 2017.
- M. Y. Kwok, K.S. Ng. A Study of the Perceived Stress Level of University Students in Hong Kong, International Journal of Psychological Studies. 8(4):91-106, 2016. doi:10.5539/ijps.v8n4p91
- S.M. Wong, K.S. Ng, T.S. Li. Numerical Solution for Deformable Image Registration Using Radial Basis Functions, Journal of Dynamics of Continuous, Discrete and Impulsive Systems. 23:405-419, 2016.
- S.M. Wong, K.S. Ng, T.S. Li. Computing Deformable Image Registration by Inverse Multiquadric Demons Algorithm, International Journal of Engineering and Technology. 6(2):141-145, 2014.
- F. Wong, J. Keung, N. Lau, K.S. Ng, J. Chung, D.H.K. Chow. Effects of body mass index and full body kinematics on tennis serve speed. J Hum Kinet 40:21-28, 2014.
- F.H. Tang, K.S. Ng, D.H.K. Chow. An Image Feature Approach for Computer-aided Detection of Ischemic Stroke, Journal of Computer in Biology and Medicine. 41(7):529-36, 2011.
- M. Ying, K.S. Ng, M.C. Yung, S.T. Lee. A semi-quantitative approach to compare high sensitivity power Doppler sonography and conventional power Doppler sonography in the assessment of thyroid vascularity. Thyroid. 19: 1265-1269, 2009.
Selected Professional & Community Services
- Local Organizer, The 3rd International Congress in Algebras and Combinatorics, 2017
- Organizer and Panel Member for the Contemporary Undergraduate Mathematical Contest in Modeling (CUMCM) Hong Kong-Macau District, 2011-2013.
- Member, Sixth Form Subject Committee (Applied Mathematics), Hong Kong Examination and Assessment Authority, September 2011-December 2013.
Link to Google Scholar page
Modified Date: Mar 22, 2020