Prof. Tong Chong Sze 唐創時教授
MA Cambridge, PhD Cambridge
Vice President (Administration & Development)
Tel: 27686038, 29509875
Professor CS TONG is currently the Vice President (Administration & Development) of the Open University of Hong Kong.
Professor TONG was educated at The University of Cambridge where he received his B.A., M.A. and Ph.D. degrees. Professor TONG joined the Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) in 1992 as a Lecturer in Mathematics. He had held various academic positions before moving to administrative leadership roles. Prior to taking up the position of Academic Registrar, he served as Associate Dean of Science. Subsequently, he joined the Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority (HKEAA) and served as Secretary General from 2011 to August 2017.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Image Retrieval
- Fractal Encoding
- Super Resolution Image Reconstruction
- Pattern Recognition & Image Segmentation
- Neural Networks
Academic & Professional Experience
2011-2017 Secretary General, Hong Kong Examinations & Assessment Authority
2008-2011 Academic Registrar, Hong Kong Baptist University
1992-2008 Associate Dean/Associate Professor/Assistant Professor/Lecturer, Hong Kong Baptist University
- S. K. Choy, N. Jia, C. S. Tong, M. L. Tang, and Edmund Y. Lam, A Robust Computational Algorithm for Inverse Photomask Synthesis in Optical Projection Lithography, SIAM J. Imaging Sciences, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 625-651, 2012.
- S. K. Choy, M. L. Tang, and C. S. Tong, Image Segmentation Using Fuzzy Region Competition and Spatial/Frequency Information, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 1473-1484, Jun 2011.
[Online version of this paper was the Top accessed article in June 2011.]
- L. Li, C. S. Tong, and S. K. Choy, Texture Classification Using Refined Histogram, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 19, No. 5, pp. 1371-1378, May 2010. [Online version of this paper made the Top 10 accessed articles list in April, 2010.]
- S. K. Choy & C. S. Tong, Statistical Wavelet Subband Characterization Based on Generalized Gamma Density and Its Application in Texture Retrieval, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 281-289, Feb 2010.
[Online version of this paper made the Top 10 accessed articles list in both Jan and Feb, 2010.]
- S. K. Choy, C. S. Tong, and Z. Z. Zhao, A Novel and Effective Multi Stage Classification System for Microscopic Starch Grain Images, Microscopy Research and Technique, Vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 77-84, Jan 2010.
- Y. Xue, C. S. Tong, Y. Chen, and W. S. Chen, Clustering-based initialization for non-negative matrix factorization, Applied Mathematics and Computation, Vol. 205, No. 2, pp. 525-536, Nov 2008.
- C. S. Tong, S. K. Choy, S. N. Chiu, Z. Z. Zhao, and W. J. Zhang, Characterization of Shape Information for the Classification of Starch Grain Images, Microscopy Research and Technique, Vol. 71, No. 9, pp. 651-658, Sept 2008.
- S. K. Choy & C. S. Tong, Statistical Properties of Bit-Plane Probability Model and Its Application in Supervised Texture Classification, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 1399-1405, Aug, 2008.
- M. Ng, E. Lam, and C. S. Tong, Super-Resolution imaging: Theory, algorithms and applications, International Journal on Multidimensional Systems and Signal Processing, Vol. 18, No. 2-3, pp. 57-58, Sept 2007.
- S. K. Choy and C. S. Tong, Supervised Texture Classification Using Characteristic Generalized Gaussian Density, Journal of Mathematical Imaging and Vision, Vol. 29, pp. 35-47, 2007.
- C. S. Tong, S. K. Choy, Z. Z. Zhao, and W. J. Zhang, Identification of Starch Grains in Microscopic Images Using Granulometric Operations, Microscopy Research and Technique, Vol. 70(8), pp. 724-732, 2007.
- C. S. Tong and K. T. Leung, Super-Resolution Reconstruction Based on Linear Interpolation of Wavelet Coefficients, Special Issue of the International Journal on Multidimensional Systems and Signal Processing, Vol. 18, pp. 153-171, 2007.
- M. Pi, C. S. Tong, S. K. Choy, and H. Zhang, A Fast and Effective Model for Wavelet Subband Histograms and Its Application in Texture Image Retrieval, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 15(10), pp.3078-3088, October 2006.
- S. Y. Lam and C. S. Tong, Enhanced Snake Algorithm by Embedded Domain Transformation, Pattern Recognition, Vol. 39(9), pp. 1566-1574, Sept 2006.
- M. Pi, C. S. Tong, and A. Basu, Fractal-based Edge Extraction and its Application to Textured Image Retrieval, Journal of Electronic Imaging, Vol. 15(1), 013012, Jan-Mar 2006.
Selected Professional & Community Services
- Advisory Committee, BSc-DSBI programme, Hang Seng Management College
- Advisor, Hong Kong Teachers' Centre Journal
- Advisor, Hong Kong Gifted Education Teachers' Association
- Examination Committee, IFPHK
Modified Date: Jun 10, 2019