Dr. Chi-hung Wong received his PhD in contemporary Chinese literature at the University of Hong Kong in 2006. He is currently an Associate Professor at the School of Arts and Social Sciences, where he serves as the Programme Leader of the Bachelor of Arts with Honours in Chinese (Full-time) degree programme and the Coordinator of full-time undergraduate programmes.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Literary criticism
- Modern and contemporary Chinese literature
- Du Fu studies
- Classical Chinese biography
Academic & Professional Experience
Sole PI, Faculty Development Scheme (FDS), “A Study of Edo Annotated Editions of Du Fu’s Eight-line Regulated Verse” (江戶時代杜律注本研究), Research Grants Council, 2017, HKD$443,577 (Ref no.: UGC/FDS16/H05/17)
Applicant and team member, Project Grant for Conference, “Between Old and New Values: International Conference on Transitions in Literature and Culture from Late Qing to Early Republican China” (推陳致新：清末民初文學文化轉折國際學術研討會), Hong Kong Arts Development Council, 2014, HKD$73,200 (with support from Wu Jieh Yee Charitable Foundation, $48,600, and Sino-British Fellowship Trust, $30,000)
Sole PI, Project Grant for Publication, Fictional Space and Taiwan Urban Literature (小說空間與臺灣都市文學), Hong Kong Arts Development Council, 2013, HKD$21,800 (withdrawn)
Professional Member, The International Association of Theatre Critics (Hong Kong) (國際演藝評論家協會[香港分會]), 2008-present
Jardine Ho Tung Scholarships, The University of Hong Kong, 1999-2000, 2000-2001, 2001-2002
- Fictional Space and Taiwan Urban Literature (小說空間與臺灣都市文學). Taipei: Student, 2015. 372pp.
- “On Du Fu’s ‘Teasing Myself after the Appointment Was Settled’ and His Poetry of Relieving from Duties” (〈官定後戲贈〉與杜甫的離職詩). Proceedings of the 7th Annual Conference of the Asian Studies Association. Ed. Selina Ching Chan. Hong Kong: Hong Kong Shue Yan U Contemporary China Research Center, 2012. 1281-1286.
- “Terminology of Chinese Literary Criticism and Literature Teaching” (中國文學批評術語與文學教學). Theory and Practice of Chinese Language and Literature Teaching (國語文教學理論與實務的多元探索). Ed. Chi-lun Wang. Taipei: Wu-nan, 2012. 71-82.
- “The Reception of Du Fu and ‘Realism’” (杜甫與「現實主義」的接受). East-West Studies (東西方研究). Ed. Chow-yiu Sin. Shanghai: Shanghai Chinese Classics, 2011. 68-78.
- “The Strategy of Religious Biographical Writing: The Holy Rhetoric of Biographies of Eminent Monks” (宗教人物傳記的寫作策略：《高僧傳》的神聖修辭學). Sino-Humanitas (人文中國學報). Forthcoming.
- “Violence and Justice: Lin Yaode’s Concepts of Urban Literature” (暴力與正義：論林燿德的都市文學觀). Journal of Taiwan Literary Studies (臺灣文學研究學報) 25 (2017): 279-304.
- “On the Self-reflective Prose in Tang and Five Dynasties” (論唐五代的自敘散文). Bulletin of The Department of Chinese Literature, Fu Jen Catholic University (輔仁國文學報) 44 (2017): 261-291.
- (with Tsz-wing Wu). “A ‘Genre’ Being Invented: Negotiation on the Relation between Biography and ‘Chuanqi Wen’ from the View of Genre Differentiation” (被發明的「文類」──從辨體角度論傳記與「傳奇文」). NTU Humanitas Taiwanica (臺大文史哲學報) 86 (2017): 87-126.
- “Historical Commentaries (Lun and Zan) in the Field of Chinese Historiography and Stylistics” (史學與文體學視野下的論贊). Soochow Journal of Chinese Studies (東吳中文學報) 31 (2016): 33-53.
- “Shenyun before Wang Shizhen: A Terminological Study of Hu Yinglin’s and Lu Shiyong’s Poetics.” Ming Studies 73 (2016): 51-70.
- (with Tsz-wing Wu). “Biography and the Concept of Genre Differentiation: The Categorization Process of Internal Conflicts.” (傳記與辨體觀：內部衝突的分類過程). Chinese Studies (漢學研究) 34.1 (2016): 95-122.
- “Writing and the Other: Reading Qiu Miaojin’s Fiction” (書寫與他人：閱讀邱妙津小說). Taiwan Hong Kong and Overseas Chinese Literature (華文文學) 129 (2015): 110-121.
- “Du Fu’s Poetry for Employment Seeking” (杜甫的求職詩). Journal of Du Fu Studies (杜甫研究學刊) 124 (2015): 58-61.
- “Impermanence, Narration and Repetition: Reading Bai Xianyong’s ‘Trees Were Old Like This’” (無常、敘述與重複：閱讀白先勇〈樹猶如此〉). Southern Cultural Forum (南方文壇) 166 (2015): 137-139.
- “Restructuring the Face of Du Fu: A Retrospective Reading from Modern Biographies to ‘the History from the Heart’” (重組杜甫的面孔：從現代傳記到「心史」的回溯式閱讀). Bulletin of Chinese (國文學報) 55 (2014): 67-97.
- “‘The Focal Body’ and the Fictional Space: On the Weakened Body in Taiwan Urban Literature” (聚焦身體與小說空間：兼論臺灣都市文學的衰弱身體). Dong Hwa Journal of Humanities (東華人文學報) 23 (2013): 31-77.
- “The Spatial Signifier of ‘Door’ in Tang and Song Ci Poetry” (唐宋詞中的「門」：一個空間符號的分析). Sino-Humanitas (人文中國學報) 17 (2011): 117-137.
- “The Re-reading of ‘Suffering the Early Autumn Heat, My Desk Keeps on Being Piled High’” (〈早秋苦熱堆案相仍〉的重讀). Journal of Du Fu Studies (杜甫研究學刊) 96 (2008): 66-71.
- “The Proliferation of Definitions of Du Fu’s Poetry as ‘Shishi’ (Poetry-History)” (杜甫「詩史」定義的繁衍現象). Chinese Studies (漢學研究) 25.1 (2007): 189-220.
Selected Professional & Community Services
- Adjudicator and Member of the Board of Arbitration, The Speaking Contest for Hong Kong Students (善言巧論：全港學生口語溝通大賽), The Education University of Hong Kong, November 2006-present
- Adjudicator, United College, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, January 2013
- Adjudicator, The Inter-hall Debating Contest, Debating Society, The Hong Kong University Students’ Union, November 2006-February 2015
- Adjudicator, Debating Competition, The Joint Committee for the Promotion of the Basic Law of Hong Kong (香港基本法推介聯席會議), June-August 2011, July 2014-present
- Adjudicator, The Christ College, May 2009, May 2010
- Editorial Board, Journal of Chinese Literary Studies, August 2013-present
- External Advisor, Hong Kong College of Technology, September 2011, August 2013-present
- Guest Speaker, Education Bureau, July 2009-March 2010
- Guest Speaker, P.L.K. Vicwood K.T. Chong Sixth Form College, December 2009
Modified Date: Mar 05, 2019