Before joining the Open University of Hong Kong, Dr. Chan Chi Wai had been the principal of a secondary school in Hong Kong and a School Development Officer at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. He has been a trainer of aspiring primary and secondary school principals and school managers. He also served as the Quality Monitor of the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA-Hong Kong) in 2009 and 2015.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Economics of education
- Education leadership and management
- Education policy
- Early childhood education
- Feminist theology
Academic & Professional Experience
2015 - 2017 A study on strategic leadership in Hong Kong kindergartens, funded by the Research Grants Council
2015 - 2017 The earnings effect of education-occupation match in the business-related workfields of Hong Kong, funded by the University's research fund
2018 Panel member, HKCAAVQ
2016 - present Member of the Expert Group of the T-standard+ Consortium of COTAP, Education Bureau
2016 Keynote speaker, Hong Kong International Conference on Social Sciences 2016, Hong Kong
2015 Keynote speaker, International Conference on Education Innovation 2015, Chiang Mai, Thailand
2015 Quality Monitor of the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA-Hong Kong)
2009 Quality Monitor of the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA-Hong Kong)
2014 - 2019 Reviewer for journals: Educational Management Administration and Leadership, Asia Pacific Education Review, Asia Pacific Journal of Education, Educational Research for Policy and Practice, International Journal of Leadership in Education, Early Child Development and Care, Education Journal and Journal of Early Childhood Research.
2006-2009 Accredited Independent School Reviewer, Education Bureau
- Fung, Y., Tang, T. & Chan, C. W. (2010). Learning and Teaching Liberal Studies: Theory and Practice. Hong Kong: OUHK Press.
- Chan, C. W. (in press). The earnings advantage of university education: A case study of the financial sector in Hong Kong. Educational Research for Policy and Practice.
- Chan, C. W. (in press). What should I do if my child is a gifted one? Teachers’ Centre Bulletin.
- Chan, C. W. (2018). Early years values education in Hong Kong: A discussion derived from the curriculum guide (in Chinese). The Hong Kong Teachers’ Centre Journal, 17, 37-51.
- Chan, C. W. (2018). Contextual intelligence and school leadership (in Chinese). Hong Kong Teachers' Centre Bulletin, 95, 9-10.
- Chan, C. W. (2018). Leading today’s kindergartens: Practices of strategic leadership in Hong Kong’s early childhood education. Educational Management Administration & Leadership, 46(4), 679-691. [SSCI]
- Chan, C. W. (2017). A curriculum framework for Hong Kong’s life education (in Chinese). The Hong Kong Teachers’ Centre Journal, 16, 85-101.
- Chan, C. W. (2015). The ultimate trickster in the story of Tamar from a feminist perspective. Feminist Theology, 24(1), 93-101. [SSCI]
- Chan, C. W. (2014). The leadership styles of Hong Kong kindergarten principals in a context of managerial change. Educational Management Administration & Leadership, 42(1), 30-40. [SSCI]
- Chan, C. W. (2013). The subsidization of Hong Kong’s kindergarten education from education finance perspectives (in Chinese). Hong Kong Journal of Early Childhood, 12(1), 57-63.
- Chan, C. W. (2012). The quality of Hong Kong’s self-financing sub-degree education from an economic perspective. Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management, 34(4), 401-408.
- Chan, C. W. (2010). The economic effect of education in an information technology-penetrating economy: Evidence from Hong Kong. Educational Researcher, 39(5), 401-405. [AERA, SSCI]
- Chan, C. W. (2010). A paradigm shift in the implementation of drama education in Hong Kong schools (in Chinese). Journal of Drama and Theatre Education in Asia, 1(1), 69-80.
- Chan, C. W. (2009). The quality of distance learning from an economic perspective: A case study from Hong Kong. The Journal of Distance Learning, 13(1), 41-50.
- Chan, C. W. (2004). A change in teachers’ remuneration system: An access to quality education (in Chinese). Hong Kong Modern Education Forum, 5, 7-8.
Selected Professional & Community Services
- 2015 - 2018 Honorary Advisor, Yuen Long District Kindergarten Heads Association
- 2014 - 2015 Honorary Advisor, Faculty of Education, University of Hong Kong
- 2009 - 2011 External Examiner, Hong Kong Institute of Education
- 2007 - 2018 School Manager
- 1983 - 1994 Member of the Textbooks Reviewing Panel, Textbooks Committee, Education Department
- 1989 - 1992 Member of the Advanced Level Economics Subject Committee, Hong Kong Examinations Authority
Modified Date: Apr 30, 2019