Before joining the OUHK, Dr. Cheung Kwok Wah has been Principal Assistant Secretary (Curriculum Development) in the Education Bureau (2009 – 2013) Prior to his appointment to EDB, he was Assistant Professor, the MEd Programme Director and the Director of Wah Ching Centre of Research on Education in China (CREC), Faculty of Education, the University of Hong Kong (1992 – 2009). He was a school teacher before taking the academic path to be trained as a sociologist of education and has received his doctoral degree from the Institute of Education, the University of London.
His current research interest is on education policy and Chinese education. He has had taken part in a joint research project with the National People’s Congress Education Office, Beijing Academy of Education Sciences and CREC to conduct extensive research to support the review of Compulsory Education law in China. He has also participated in various education initiatives in Hong Kong.
Dr. Cheung Kwok Wah has also been appointed to different advisory committees by the Hong Kong SAR Government. He has been a part-time member of the Central Policy Unit, the Chairperson of the Committee on Home School Co-operation and member of the Education Commission, Committee on Teachers’ Work as well as Council member, Hong Kong Institute of Education. He is currently Associate member of Central Policy Unit.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Sociology of Education
- Education Policy
- Educational & Social Change in China
- Cheung K.W. and Pan S.Y. "Cong Xingzheng Wenze Dao Kuoda Shehui Lianmeng: Xianggang Zhengfu Zai Jiaoyu Gaige Zhong De Celue Bianhua" (From Inspection to Broadening Alliance-Building: The Change of Strategy by Government to Reform Education in Hong Kong) , Reports on Compulsory Education Provision in China No.1, 2006, Education Office, National People's Congress, Beijing Academy of Educational Sciences & Centre of Research on Education in China, HKU, China Democracy and Legal Press, 372-386
- Cheung K.W. and Yan M.C., The Politics of Indigenization: A Case Study of Development of Social Work in China, Journal of Sociology and Social Welfare, 2006, 33, Number 2
- Cheung K.W., From School Inspection to School Review, Exploring Education Development, 2006, March, 2006
- Cheung K.W. and Pan S., Transition of Moral Education in China: Towards Regulated Individualism, Citizenship Teaching and Learning, 2006, Volume 2, Number 2
- Ko, Kwok-wai , Ip, Kin-yuen, Cheung, Kwok-wah & Wong Ping-man, (2004) "The Use of Capacity Enhancement Grant : Research Report" . (In Chinese) Hong Kong. QEF Project on the Use of Capacity Enhancement Grant.
- CHEUNG, Kwok-wah (2003), "Education Indicators", in Social Development Index for Hong Kong, Hong Kong Council of Social Services (ed.), HK: OUP
- Cheung, Kwok Wah, The Regulation of the Pedagogic Discourse: The Shift between Restrictive and Elaborated Ideological Orientations, in Lee, WO and Bray, M (eds.), 2001, Education and Political Transition: Perspectives and Dimensions in East Asia, HK: CERC, PP.185-200
Selected Professional & Community Services
- Associate member, Central Policy Unit (Feb 2013 – To-date)
- Member, Assessment Panel, Public Policy Research Funding Scheme (Jan 2014 – To-date)
- Council member, Hong Kong Institute of Education (2002 – 2008)
- Member, School Allocation Committee, Education Bureau (2002 – 2008)
- Member, Steering Committee on Principal's Professional Development, Education Bureau (2002 – 2008)
- Chair (2003-2005) & member, Committee on Home-School Co-operation, Education and Manpower Bureau (2000 - 2005)
- School Board member, UGA primary School
View a full profile
Modified Date: Feb 25, 2019