Dr. Chin Cheung TANG (Cheung) is currently the Lecturer in School of Science and Technology, the Open University of Hong Kong. He has graduated with the Bachelor of Science (Major in Ecology and Biodiversity) in The University of Hong Kong. His Doctor of Philosophy degree has been obtained from the same university with his research project about systematics, phylogenetics, biogeography and diversification rate analysis about the genus Goniothalamus which belongs to a basal angiosperm family Annonaceae.
His research interest includes systematics, phylogenetics, ecology, environmental education, social-environmental relationship. Cheung is a nature lover who actively engages in environmental protection and education campaigns. He has been appointed as a member of the ‘Steering Group on the Modification of Recycling and Refuse Collection Facilities in Public Places” (2016-2020) in HKSAR Government.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Applied Science & Environmental Studies
- Plant systematics and molecular phylogenetics
- Morphological evolution and historical biogeography
- Environmental education
- Socio-environmental research
- Xing S, Cheng W, Nakamura A, Tang CC, Huang S, Odell E, Goodale E, Goodale UM, Bonebrake TC (2018). Elevational clines in morphological traits of subtropical and tropical butterfly assemblages. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 123:506–517.
- Thomas DC, Tang CC, Saunders RMK (2017). Historical biogeography of Goniothalamus and Annonaceae tribe Annoneae: dispersal–vicariance patterns in tropical Asia and intercontinental tropical disjunctions revisited. Journal of Biogeography 44: 2862–2876.
- Guo X, Tang CC, Thomas DC, Couvreur TL, Saunders RMK (2017). A mega-phylogeny of the Annonaceae: taxonomic placement of five enigmatic genera and support for a new tribe, Phoenicantheae. Scientific reports 7: 7323.
- Tang, CC, Xue B, Saunders RMK (2015). A new species of Goniothalamus (Annonaceae) from Palawan, and a new nomenclatural combination in the genus from Fiji. PhytoKeys 32: 27–35.
- Tang CC, Thomas DC, Saunders RMK (2015). Molecular phylogenetics of the species-rich angiosperm genus Goniothalamus (Annonaceae) inferred from nine chloroplast DNA regions: Synapomorphies and putative correlated evolutionary changes in fruit and seed morphology. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 92: 124–139.
Selected Professional & Community Services
- "Steering Group on the Modification of Recycling and Refuse Collection Facilities in Public Places” (2016-2020) in HKSAR Government
- Publicity Working Group of Environmental Campaign Committee in HKSAR Government
Modified Date: Apr 16, 2019