Dr. Benjamin TY CHAN is the Dean of the Li Ka Shing Shool of Professional and Continuing Education.
Dr. CHAN obtained his Bachelor of Science in Biology from Pontifical University of Santo Tomas in the Philippines, Master of Philosophy from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University and Doctor of Education from University of Durham in United Kingdom. He is a Fellow of various professional bodies including the Royal Society of Arts, the Royal Society of Public Health and the College of Teachers, UK.
Dr. CHAN held the office of Deputy Director (LiPACE) in 2010 after serving various academic positions in HKU SPACE. He left OUHK in 2012 and subsequently worked in Lingnan University (Head of Research Office), Vocational Training Council (Assistant Deputy Director of Academic Services, Founding Director of Research Support Unit, Academic Director of Applied Science Discipline) and most recently as the Assistant Deputy Director (Undergraduate Studies) in The Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts. Dr. CHAN is a seasoned academic administrator with 29 years of extensive experience in all sectors of postsecondary education in Hong Kong ranging from continuing education, UGC higher education, vocational education to specialist conservatory education.
He is an active researcher and his publications can be viewed from:
Dr. CHAN also contributes regularly to the Times Higher Education Campus and Opinion column.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Adult and continuing education
- Lifelong learning
- Higher education policy and management
- Technical vocational education and training
- Curriculum internationalisation
- Global health
- Pharmaceutical policy
Academic & Professional Experience
• Dean of LiPACE, OUHK (2020 - present)
• Director of LiPACE, OUHK (2018 - 2019)
• Assistant Deputy Director (Undergraduate Studies), HKAPA (2016-2018)
• Assistant Executive Director, VTC (2014-2016)
• Head of Office of Research Support, Lingnan University (2012-2014)
• Deputy Director of LiPACE, OUHK (2010-2012)
• Senior Programme Director I and Assistant Professor, HKU SPACE (1993-2010)
- Research priorities to reduce the impact of COVID-19 in low- and middle- income countries. 2022. Journal of Global Health. DOI: 10.7189/jogh.12.09003 (SCI indexed)
- Interrogating values of adult education practice in Hong Kong. 2021. RUDN Journal of Philosophy. 25(4): 613-625. DOI: 10.22363/2313-2302-2021-25-4-613-625 (SCOPUS indexed)
- Educating for Chinese politeness, a lifelong learning pursuit. Weiterbildung. 2021, 4: S38-41.
- Chinese concepts of learning, a break from tradition? Weiterbildung. 2020, 4:S36-39.
- Addressing conflicting views on wearing of facemask by the public to
combat COVID-19: experiences from the East Asia region. Journal of Global Health
Reports. 2020; 4:e2020049. (DOAJ indexed)
- Postgraduate Transnational Education in Nonbusiness Subjects: Can It Fit Conceptualizations of Curriculum Internationalization? (2011). Journal of Studies in International Education, v15 n3 p279-298. (SSCI indexed)
- The Changing Roles of Adult and Continuing Education Practitioners in Hong Kong: Analysis from a Historical Perspective (2010). Journal of Adult and Continuing Education, v16 n1 p4-20. (ESCI indexed)
- Conceptualising Adult and Continuing Education Practice: Towards a Framework for Research (2009). Australian Journal of Adult Learning, v49 n1 p9-33. (SSCI indexed)
- Pharmaceutical policy in Hong Kong: defining an evolving area of study. Presented in the First Conference in Pharmaceutical Policy, Zeist, Netherlands, September 19-21, 2007.
Selected Professional & Community Services
- Member (Co-opted) of the Executive Committee, Federation for Self-financing Tertiary Education (FSTE) (2019 to present)
- Member, Council of the HK Academy for Performing Arts (2018)
- Member, Joint Committee on Student Finance (2014-2016)
- Subject Specialist, HKCAAVQ (2013-2015)
- Honorary Lecturer in Paramedic Science, Victoria University (Australia) (2002-2003)
- Special Lecturer, School of Education, University of Nottingham (2007-2010)
- Editorial Board Member, Australian Journal of Adult Learning (SSCI indexed)
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Training Research (ESCI indexed)
- Honorary Associate Professor in Education, HKU SPACE (2012 to present)
- External Examiner, BEd (Hons) Professional and Vocational Education, Education University of Hong Kong (2021 to present)
Link to personal homepage
Link to Google Scholar page