Dr. Benjamin TY CHAN is currently the Dean of the Li Ka Shing Shool of Professional and Continuing Education.
Dr. CHAN obtained his Bachelor of Science in Biology from Pontifical University of Santo Tomas in the Philippines, Master of Philosophy from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University and Doctor of Education from University of Durham in United Kingdom. He is a Chartered Biologist and a Fellow of various professional bodies including the Royal Society of Arts, the Royal Society of Public Health and College of Teachers, UK.
Dr. CHAN held the office of Deputy Director (LiPACE) in 2010 after serving various academic positions in HKU SPACE. He left OUHK in 2012 and subsequently worked in Lingnan University, Vocational Training Council and most recently as Assistant Deputy Director (Undergraduate Studies) in The Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts. Dr. CHAN is a seasoned academic administrator with 26 years of extensive experience in all sectors of postsecondary education in Hong Kong ranging from continuing education, UGC higher education, vocational education to specialist conservatory education.
He is an active researcher and his publications can be viewed from:
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Adult and continuing education
- Lifelong education
- Higher education administration
- Technical vocational education and training
- Curriculum internationalisation
- Research management
- Pharmaceutical policy
Academic & Professional Experience
• Dean of LiPACE, OUHK (2020 - present)
• Director of LiPACE, OUHK (2018 - 2019)
• Assistant Deputy Director (Undergraduate Studies), HKAPA (2016-2018)
• Assistant Executive Director, VTC (2014-2016)
• Head of Office of Research Support, Lingnan University (2012-2014)
• Deputy Director of LiPACE, OUHK (2010-2012)
• Senior Programme Director I and Assistant Professor, HKU SPACE (1993-2010)
- Postgraduate Transnational Education in Nonbusiness Subjects: Can It Fit Conceptualizations of Curriculum Internationalization? (2011). Journal of Studies in International Education, v15 n3 p279-298. (SSCI indexed)
- The Changing Roles of Adult and Continuing Education Practitioners in Hong Kong: Analysis from a Historical Perspective (2010). Journal of Adult and Continuing Education, v16 n1 p4-20. (SCOPUS indexed)
- Conceptualising Adult and Continuing Education Practice: Towards a Framework for Research (2009). Australian Journal of Adult Learning, v49 n1 p9-33. (SSCI indexed)
- Pharmaceutical policy in Hong Kong: defining an evolving area of study. Presented in the First Conference in Pharmaceutical Policy, Zeist, Netherlands, September 19-21, 2007.
- Defining a new role for research management in the changing research environment in HK. Presented in the ASAIHL Conference 2013, Surabaya, Indonesia, April 30-May 3, 2013.
Selected Professional & Community Services
- Chairman, DYJ Programme Management Committee, Federation for Self-financing Tertiary Education (FSTE)
- Member (Co-opted) of the Executive Committee, Federation for Self-financing Tertiary Education (FSTE)
- Member, Council of the HK Academy for Performing Arts (2018)
- Member, Joint Committee on Student Finance (2014-2016)
- Subject Specialist, HKCAAVQ (2013-2015)
- Honorary Lecturer in Paramedic Science, Victoria University (Australia) (2002-2003)
- Special Lecturer, School of Education, University of Nottingham (2007-2010)
- Editorial Board Member, Australian Journal of Adult Learning (SSCI indexed)
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Training Research (ESCI indexed)
- Honorary Associate Professor in Education, HKU SPACE