Dr. Amic G. Ho is a design scholar, typographer, and communication designer. His design expertise and research interests are in typography, emotion & design and communication design. Dr. Ho served as conference chair and editor of proceedings in the International Conference on Human Factors in Communication of Design (AHFE), scientific board member and session chair in the International Conference on Affective and Pleasurable Design (AHFE). Moreover, he served as an associate editor for Design Principles & Practices and has acted as a reviewer for several design journals including the International Journal of Design Research, International Journal of Food Design, She Ji: The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation. His research has been published in various academic journals, as conference papers and proceedings.
Dr. Ho has participated in various design competitions and has received awards such as the Special Awards 2016 & 2017 at the Korean Society of Design Science: International invitational exhibition; the Graduate Scholar Award 2010 at the 4th International Conference on Design Principles and Practices; Innobrand-Young Design Talent Award 2007; ICOGRADA, the International Logo Biennial Award, and VIS 2006, etc.
Teaching Areas & Research Interests
- Emotion & Design
- Communication & Experience Design
- Design Education
Academic & Professional Experience
Principal Investigator, DNP Foundation for Cultural Promotion Research Grants for Academic Studies Relating to Graphic Design and Graphic Art, “Hong Kong Design Story: Study on the Development of Typography” (Reference no.: 2017A27), 2017-2019
Principal Investigator, Competitive Research Funding Schemes – FDS project, “Guiding Emotion: Constructing New Approach for Design Studies”, Research Grants Council, (Reference no.: UGC/FDS16/E06/19), 2019-2021
- Amic G. Ho (2021) Understanding the influence of epistemological beliefs on the creative learning process, International Journal of Design Creativity and Innovation, DOI: 10.1080/21650349.2021.1960896. [Scopus] [ESCI]
- HO, A. G. (2017). Evaluation of affective warning pictorials in reducing risky security behaviours on the internet. New Design Ideas, 1(1). 71-77. [ERIH PLUS]
- HO, A. G. (2017). Emotion and typography: Identifying approaches in current typographic designs on effectiveness of eliciting emotion. The International Journal of Visual Design. 11(2), 37-44. https://doi.org/10.18848/2325-1581/CGP/v11i02/37-44 [Scopus] [EBSCO]
- HO, A. G. (2017). Enriching the user experience in social messaging: Emotion in communication design. Online Journal of Art and Design. 5(1), 77-90.
- HO, A. G. & Chau, P. W. (2016). Understanding the capacity of emotion in decision-making for designers in design process management. The International Journal of Design Management and Professional Practice, 10(4), 13-24.
https://doi.org/10.18848/2325-162X/CGP/v10i04/13-24 [Scopus] [EBSCO]
- HO, A. G. (2015). New way to optimise the design process from emotion perspectives. Procedia Manufacturing 3(2015), 2325-2332. https://doi.org/10.10 16/j.promfg.2015.07.379 [Scopus]
- HO, A. G. (2014). The new relationship between emotion and the design process for designers. Archives of Design Research, 27(2). 47-57. https://doi.org/10.15187/adr.2014.05.110.2.45 [Scopus] [KCI 한국학술지인용색인]
- HO, A. G. & SIU, K. W. M. (2012). Emotion design, emotional design, emotionalised design: A review on their relationships from a new perspective. The Design Journal, 15(1). 9-32. https://doi.org/10.2752/175630612X13192035508462 [A&HCI] [EBSCO] [Scopus]
- HO, A. G. & SIU, K. W. M. (2011). Explore the role of emotion in design: Empirical study to understand the perception on emotion design, emotional design, emotionalised design from the designers’ perspectives. Design Principles and Practices: An International Journal, 5(3). 367-378. https://doi.org/10.18848/1833-1874/CGP/v05i03/38060 [Scopus] [EBSCO]
- HO, A. G. & SIU, K. W. M. (2010). Role of designers in the new perspective of design and emotion. Design Principles and Practices: An International Journal, 4(3). 15-24. https://doi.org/10.18848/1833-1874/CGP/v04i03/37884 [Scopus] [EBSCO]
Selected Professional & Community Services
- Conference Chair & Editor of Springer Book Proceedings, Advances in Human Factors in Communication of Design: International Conference on Human Factors in Communication of Design (AHFE), Sep 2016 - Present
- Scientific Board, International Conference on Affective and Pleasurable Design (AHFE), Sep 2015 - Present
- Editorial Board, New Design Ideas (Journal), Nov 2017 - Present
- Reviewer, International Journal of Design Research
- Reviewer, She Ji: The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation
- Reviewer, International Journal of Food Design
Link to personal homepage
Modified Date: May 20, 2022