• Home

  • About Facilities
    Management Office

  • Services

  • Campus Information

  • Projects

  • Safety, Health &

  • Useful Information

  • The Open University of Hong Kong

    Frequently Asked Questions

    1. Opening Hours of the Campuses
    2. Open Area for the Public
    3. Communal Area and Courtyards
    4. Booking of Teaching Venues
    5. Exhibition Gallery, Banners and Counter Area
    6. Parking
    7. Catering and Banking Facilities, Breastfeeding-friendly Premises
    8. Student Accommodation and Recreational Facilities
    9. Photo-taking and Video-filming
    10. Promotional Activities and Leaflet / Souvenir Distribution
    11. Survey Activities
    12. No Smoking on the University Campuses
    13. Pets on Campuses












    A. Opening Hours of the Campuses

    Question A1 What are the opening hours of the University campuses?

    The opening hours of the University campuses (Main Campus and Jockey Club Campus) are normally 8:00 am – 12:00 midnight daily. To facilitate the University to carry out routine maintenance and cleaning work, visitors are required to leave the University campuses before / by the closing hours. For security purpose, staff and students coming into the University campus during the closing hours are required to present the staff / student identity card to the security officers. Other users who need to stay in the University campus after the closing hours are required to inform Finance and Facilities Management Unit (FFMU) in advance with the endorsement of the designated Schools / Units / Offices.


    B. Open Area for the Public

    Question B1 Which part of the University campuses is open to the public?

    The University welcomes the public to visit the communal areas of the University campus such as Siu Tsang Fung Kwan Square on Main Campus (MC) and Open Plaza on Jockey Club Campus (JCC) during the University’s normal opening hours. To render a safety and security ambience for teaching, academic and student related activities in teaching venues, laboratory areas, offices, roof tops, etc. are not open to the public.


    C. Communal Area and Courtyards

    Question C1 What types of activity are allowed to be held in the courtyards and communal area?

    The courtyards are designated for dining, leisure, study and interactive purposes. Individual staff members and students can freely use courtyards for study and discussion. Schools / Units / Offices / student organizations may apply for permission to use the space designated for holding exhibitions, booths and academic / student related activities.

    Question C2 May the public carry out personal activities in the courtyards and communal area?

    Our campuses are private properties, courtyards and communal area are open to public for the well-being of community liaison. However, the public is NOT allowed to conduct surveys or personal activities, etc. in the said areas. The public would be allowed to take a short rest in the seating area of the courtyards and communal area while visiting the University campuses. For details, please click HERE.


    D. Booking of Teaching Venues

    Question D1 May the University venues be booked or used by external organizations?

    Yes. Some University venues may be used by external organizations. Interested parties please click HERE.

    Question D2 Can individual students book Auditorium / Lecture Theatres / Tutorial Rooms / Computer Laboratories?

    Only Students’ Union/ student societies / designated parties recognized by Student Affairs Office are eligible to make bookings.

    In the meantime, individual students can reserve the Consultation Rooms / Study Room / Group Study Rooms inside the Fong Connie Computer Centre and Ho Sik Yee Library on Jockey Club Campus.

    Question D3 Are there any suitable venues for organizing seminars and / or conferences?

    BOC Lecture Theatre, Serena Yang Lecture Theatre, Si Yuan Lecture Theatre, Jockey Club Auditorium, Lu Sin Lecture Theatre and some lecture theatres on Main Campus, Jockey Club Campus and Kwai Hing Campus are suitable for organizing seminars and / or conferences.

    Question D4 Which office should be approached for booking of venues?

    Finance and Facilities Management Unit (FFMU) can be contacted at HERE.


    E. Exhibition Gallery, Banners and Counter Area

    Question E1 How can permission be obtained for displaying banners, promotional materials and exhibits in the University?

    The University provides space and venue for events and displays which serve the purpose of supporting the academic activities and strategic plan of the University. All booking applications must be made in writing to Finance and Facilities Management Unit (FFMU) for processing at least 8 working days (2 months for the Exhibition Gallery) prior to the event / exhibition.

    A display / banner may only be posted or installed at designated locations on Campus and for a defined period of time, subject to the approval of and conditions set out by FFMU. For details, please click HERE.

    There is also an exhibition gallery located on Level 1, Block D on Jockey Club Campus. For details, please click HERE.

    The University reserves the right to stop any event / exhibition and to remove and dispose of any banner / display item without prior notice for safety, hygienic or statutory reasons, or in case of non-compliance with the discretion of the University.


    F. Parking

    Question F1 As a staff member, how can I apply for parking spaces? For students, can I apply for parking spaces as well?

    For staff, there is an annual parking space allocation exercise. Besides, there is a limited temporary parking space on campus. Temporary parking spaces are available for staff / tutors / students by tendering valid car parking coupon(s) to our security officers before entering to the carpark at the following hours:
    Mon – Fri : 18:00 – 24:00
    Sat, Sun & PH : 08:00 – 24:00

    For details, please click HERE. Carparks nearby the Campus are also available, please click HERE.


    G. Catering and Banking Facilities, Breastfeeding-friendly Premises

    Question G1 Are there any catering outlets and banks on Campus? Any breastfeeding facilities for students and staff?

    Yes. Catering outlets with various choices of cuisines are available on both Main Campus and Jockey Club Campus, please click HERE.

    A bank is available on Main Campus at HERE.

    For breastfeeding facilities, please click HERE as well.


    H. Student Accommodation and Recreational Facilities

    Question H1 Is there any on-campus student hostel at the OUHK?

    Currently, there is no on-campus hostel at the OUHK. However, off-campus student accommodation service would be provided to non-local Year 1 students. Please refer to Student Affairs Office’s website for further details.

    Question H2 What kinds of sports facilities are there at the OUHK?

    There are different kinds of sports facilities on campuses, such as Sports Halls and Fitness Room. Please refer to the sports facilities section under “Campus Information” on our website.


    I. Photo-taking and Video-filming

    Question I1 Are photo-taking and video-filming allowed in the communal areas of the University? Do I need to apply for wedding photo-taking on Campuses?

    Members of the University and the public may take personal photos or film personal video clip in the open areas of the University such as courtyard and communal areas, etc. provided that such act would not cause nuisance or offence to the subject person(s) and that the photos or videos are not for commercial purposes. The University reserves the right to stop photo-taking or video-filming in the University campuses on discretion from Facilities Management Unit that there is a potential risk that the act would impose adverse impact on the image of the University and / or is related to commercial purposes. For details, please click HERE.

    Only OU alumni, current students and current staff are eligible for the application for wedding photo-taking. Please send the following details via email to ouhkmc@hongyip3.com at least 8 working days in advance to facilitate the application.

    Details to be provided in the request email:

    • Your full name in Chinese and English, complete student ID number, degree and year of graduation (for alumni). For current staff, please provide your full name in Chinese and English, staff number and the School / Unit now serving.
    • Date of your scheduled wedding photo-shooting or video-filming. Please note that only Sundays and statutory holidays beyond examination periods and Congregation periods will be considered for wedding photo-taking or video-filming on Campuses. Relevant parties are welcome to check the availability of the proposed dates as well.


    J. Promotional Activities and Leaflet / Souvenir Distribution

    Question J1 May students distribute leaflets / souvenirs in the communal areas of the University?

    Representatives of student organizations may distribute leaflets / souvenirs, etc. in the communal areas of the University provided that they do not affect the traffic flow or cause safety concerns. For distribution of leaflets / souvenirs in areas assigned by the Student Affairs Office / Students’ Union etc., prior permission from them must be sought.

    Question J2 Is commercial promotion or leaflet distribution allowed on campus?

    Any commercial activities, including distribution of leaflets for commercial purposes, are NOT allowed on campus without specific and prior approval of the University.


    K. Survey Activities

    Question K1 May students conduct surveys in the communal areas of the University?

    Students may conduct surveys approved by their School / Unit in the communal areas of the University, provided that the surveys do not affect traffic flow or cause inconvenience to other users. Students are advised to inform the Finance and Facilities Management Unit (FFMU) via their School / Unit, of the location of the survey beforehand so that the concerned security teams are in a position to help, if necessary.


    L. No Smoking on the University Campuses

    Question L1 Can I smoke in the outdoor area of the campuses?

    All OUHK campuses are statutory non-smoking areas. As stipulated in the Smoking (Public Health) Ordinance (Cap. 371), no person shall smoke or carry a lighted cigarette, cigar or pipe within our campuses including both indoor and outdoor perimeters at all times. The maximum penalty for a violation is HK$5,000.

    Question L2 What action will be taken by the University if smokers are found on campuses?

    On-duty security officers are instructed to issue warning to smokers on spot and to jot down their personal particulars. The University reserves the right to report such violation to Tobacco Control Office of the Department of Health and / or other law enforcement authorities, such as police, in case the smokers refuse to cooperate with the on-duty security officers.


    M. Pets on Campuses

    Question M1 Can visitors, staff and students bring pets on Campuses?

    Licensed guide-dog(s) brought by University community, visitors and other parties who have visual impairment or guide-dog(s) under training from authorized organization is/are welcome. Prior notice to Finance and Facilities Management Unit (FFMU) is highly appreciated.


    Maintained by: Finance and Facilities Management Unit
    Modified Date: Mar 25, 2020

    Site Map
    About OUHK
    President's Message
    Vision & Mission
    Strategic Plan
    Governance & Organization
    Principal Officers
    Honorary Graduates & University Fellows
    Facts & Figures
    School of Arts and Social Sciences
    Lee Shau Kee School of Business and Administration
    School of Education and Languages
    School of Nursing and Health Studies
    School of Science and Technology
    Li Ka Shing School of Professional and Continuing Education (LiPACE)
    Office for Advancement of Learning and Teaching
    Finance and Facilities Management Unit
    Human Resources Unit
    Information Technology Unit
    Mainland and International Affairs Office
    OUHK Shenzhen Office
    Public Affairs Unit
    Quality Assurance Office
    Research Office
    Student Affairs Office
    Research Postgraduate Programmes
    Postgraduate Programmes
    Postgraduate Programmes (Part-time)
    Undergraduate Programmes
    Undergraduate Programmes (Part-time)
    Sub-degree Programmes
    Sub-degree Programmes (Part-time)
    Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Programmes
    Programmes from LiPACE
    Annual Review 2017-2018
    Choose your study programme
    Events Calendar
    Giving to OUHK
    Information for
    Prospective Students
    Current Students
    Jockey Club Home Health Watch Programme
    Media coverage
    Motto: Disce, Progredere, Crea
    Open Learning Resources
    iTunes U
    Knowledge for All
    OUHK Great Speakers Series
    Privacy policies
    Terms and policies
    Research Office (RO)
    RGC Funded Projects
    Institutional Repository
    Other Funded Research Projects
    Staff Publications
    Research Degree Programmes
    External Research Funding
    Internal Research Funding
    External Funding for Development Project
    Site Search
    Social Media
    YouTube Channel
    Student Life & Support
    Students' Achievements
    Switch on to e-materials
    Useful Information
    Adverse weather arrangements
    Campus location
    Job Openings
    Contact us
    Telephone: (852-2711-2100)
    Facsimile: (852-2715-0760)
    Email: info@ouhk.edu.hk
    View the videos of Full-time Face-to-face Undergraduate Programme selected seminars
    Web for All
    Back To Top