The Open University of Hong Kong (OUHK) will try the very best to keep the
website contents accurate, up-to-date and reliable. OUHK will disclaim against
all claim, loss, damage and liability which the OUHK may sustain or incur,
directly or otherwise, in connection with any use whatsoever of the contents
provided in or linked to the website. You may contact the Webmaster for any
Acceptable and Unacceptable Use
Legitimate users are permitted to use the electronic data from the OUHK
website, the Online Learning Environment, the Electronic Library and other
facilities provided by the Open University of Hong Kong. However, this
permission must be subject to any prevailing rules and guidelines including the
HARNET policy and any applicable laws in the Hong Kong SAR.
Some examples of acceptable and unacceptable use are given below to
illustrate the principle. They are by no means exhaustive and there may be other
(a) Acceptable Use
- It is always safe to use anti-virus software to protect your computer
before sending any executable file(s) and before running any executable
file(s) received with an email.
- Username and password shall be protected by the respective owner from
inadvertent disclosure to the general public.
- Email messages must be appropriate in type, tone and content. Use of
email and the Internet by anyone must not conflict with the University's
interests nor should it be in violation of the University's policies.
(b) Unacceptable Use
- Creating, transmitting, executing, or storing malicious, threatening,
harassing, obscene, or abusive messages, images, programs, or materials.
- Sending electronic mail or program, which will replicate itself or do
damage to another user's account.
- Sending hoax messages or forged messages, including messages sent under
someone else's name.
- Violating University security, damaging University systems, or using
computing privileges to gain unauthorized access to any University computer
system and/or any computer system on the Internet.
- Promoting political or religious positions or activities unless
sponsored by an official University organization with appropriate University
- Copying or transmitting copyrighted software or other material licensed
or otherwise protected by copyright.
- Investigating, manipulating, reading or attempting to access another
user's electronic data without permission.
- Posting of web pages having the official OUHK logo without the
- Establishing Internet or other external connections that could allow
non-OUHK users to access University systems and information such as the
establishment of multi-computer file systems (like Sun's NFS), Internet home
pages, FTP/SSH servers, and the like.
- Placing OUHK materials on any publicly accessible Internet computers
that support anonymous file transfer protocol (FTP), secure shell protocol (SSH)
or similar services without University approval.
Data Ownership and Responsibility
The University reserves its right to monitor, access, use and dispose all
data, whether personal or study-related, transmitted through or stored in its
websites, computer network, systems, electronic storage devices and document.
- The electronic data includes, but are not limited to, system login ID
and password, email, discussion board, newsgroup and web pages. OUHK is the
sole owner of all data, which is either published by students and/or stored
in OUHK information system, electronic storage and web page.
- OUHK cannot be held responsible for content or resources other than
those developed by the University.
- Anyone using OUHK electronic data storage, information system and/or the
Internet should realize that their communications are not automatically
protected from viewing by third parties. Unless encryption is used (e.g.
electronic payment or Intranets), anyone may not send information over the
Internet if they consider it to be private.
- At any time and without prior notice, OUHK reserves the right to examine
e-mail, discussion board, newsgroup, web page and so on. This examination
assures compliance with internal policies, supports the execution of both
internal investigations and external regulatory policing, and assists with
the management of OUHK information systems.
- OUHK reserves the right to revoke the account for electronic learning,
electronic library and the likes without prior notice. This is necessary for
internal and external investigations in case of suspected offense of the
University regulation of policy.
- All discussion boards and newsgroups on OUHK Internet-connected
computers will be reviewed and cleared periodically. This process is
necessary to maintain them and to prevent anonymous exchange of information
inconsistent with OUHK's educational principal.
Any data includes personal data, which are transmitted or stored by
electronic means on any electronic data or Internet access facilities belonging
to or connected with the University, shall be treated in accordance with any
prevailing rules and guidelines.
Consequence of Violation
Users who use electronic data or Internet access facilities belonging to or
connected with the University, in a way contrary to any prevailing rules and
guidelines, shall be subject to legal actions or other appropriate measure to be